Recording one's own band

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
lsn110
steve albini likes it

Recording one's own band

Post by lsn110 » Tue Aug 19, 2003 7:21 am

Just curious how different folks deal with recording bands that they're in. I've recorded my own stuff for years, but now I'm in a position where it looks like I'm going to be recording a band that I'm a part of (but I'm not the driving force).

I'm pretty good at navigating the ego land mine field when I'm not in the band, but it seems much harder when I'm a part of the action. I always view the engineer as an outside (objective) force. I'm having a hard time playing both roles simultaneously.

Kyle
steve albini likes it

Re: Recording one's own band

Post by Kyle » Tue Aug 19, 2003 8:08 am

It's bad luck to record one's own band!

When I'm recording a band that I play in, I usually save my parts for last. Unless the band needs me to play with them. This allows me to listen to the performance and not get hung up on what I'm doing. I find it to be easier when you are not the driving force behind the band. For me, it make it easier to slip in and out of the different "roles." Be flexible, it's great practice.

Most importantly, have fun and don't be affraid to drive the band when you know they can do better.
Kyle

joeysimms
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by joeysimms » Tue Aug 19, 2003 8:16 am

Don't you have one trusted friend outside the band who can co-engineer as you lay the basics down? If your playing rock, you should really try to do a basic track live, and having a freiend help with mics and levels will give you some space to concentrate on your playing.

helstab
george martin

Post by helstab » Tue Aug 19, 2003 8:18 am

ohh.. hard stuff. This is how I'm learning to record. If only the band would let me. They don't understand that recording is a whole separate thing.

They think they have equal say, and don't trust my juddgment.they NEVER let me experiment, or record something after they think it was "good enough". Now this sounds worse than it is, but it can be really frustrating.

As for my me and my part of the song. I usually ignore what I'm playing and don't spend as much time on my parts. They put too much faith in my playing, and not enough in my recording.

the worst thing is they think EVERYTHING sounds great. But that means they like everything I do. sooo.. I can't wait to record strangers.
-Matthew Macchio$tab

lsn110
steve albini likes it

Post by lsn110 » Tue Aug 19, 2003 8:34 am

Yeah...these are all reasons I'm tempted to call in an outside engineer (I do have those resources). I don't really want to play both roles in this situation (at least not until the overdub/mixing stage).

We're also currently in a place where the word demoing is being thrown around. I HATE that word. To me it means you're creating something with the express intent that you are going to throw it away. From an engineering perspective, I always want to do the best job possible. If something doesn't get kept because it gets re-arranged or there are problems with someone's performance, that's fine. The recording is still good. Problem is that no one wants to spend the extra effort to record things properly, but they seem to want more than a boom box recording. I guess I just have to get over myself and be flexible like Kyle said.

In any case, I'd like to hear more from the seasoned veterans...what are your horror/success stories in this regard?

endofanera
gettin' sounds

Post by endofanera » Tue Aug 19, 2003 8:43 am

I've never been as pleased with any part of the experience or results of recordings of bands that I've been in and have tried to engineer as I have with recordings where I've just been an engineer or have had someone else to help engineer my band. There's just too many ways to throw your energy and too many things to try to keep track of for you to do it all, something will suffer and there's really nothing that can afford to. If you can get someone you trust to assist (and by that I mean someone who knows at *least* as much as you do), you should definitely do that. As has already been pointed out, you should be fine working by yrself when you get to overdubs and mixing.
"You get a kink in your neck looking up at people or down at people. But when you look straight across, there's no kinks."
--Mike Watt

EasyGo
buyin' a studio

Post by EasyGo » Tue Aug 19, 2003 8:53 am

Kyle wrote:It's bad luck to record one's own band!
Uh oh. I guess our in-progress album is DOOMED.

I dunno, I'm the bandleader in my group, and we just finished 2 weekends of basic tracking where I engineered and played guitar. In my particular case, it felt less stressful to handle the engineering and guitar playing than it was to go to a commercial studio.

I think the key in our case was loading in and setting up on Friday night. That way we were able to spend a couple hours on the drums, a half hour on the bass, and then I spent a half hour getting a guitar sound after the others were set up.

Then get a good night's sleep and show up bright eyed/bushy tailed with everything set up and ready to go. For me, that is key to handling both duties. YMMV, especially if you're the drummer.

SchemeTeam
ass engineer

Post by SchemeTeam » Tue Aug 19, 2003 9:38 am

two words: Jimmy Page

endofanera
gettin' sounds

Post by endofanera » Tue Aug 19, 2003 9:44 am

SchemeTeam wrote:two words: Jimmy Page
two words: Eddie Kramer
two more words: Andy Johns
"You get a kink in your neck looking up at people or down at people. But when you look straight across, there's no kinks."
--Mike Watt

helstab
george martin

Post by helstab » Tue Aug 19, 2003 9:48 am

Well I do think that if we attempted to record something good I could do it. But, it's hard to get out of the practice frame of mind when you record in the same place as you jam. They do always want the "boom box" recording. Our drummer is always asking me if we can record this "AND I DONT CARE ABOUT THE QUALITY!" he just wants to be able to hear it.

I think they have a hard time hearing it because the playing is good... thus... everyone is happy. But the quality makes me cringe when I know we could have done it soooo much better.

-matt
-Matthew Macchio$tab

helstab
george martin

Post by helstab » Tue Aug 19, 2003 10:20 am

it's a good thing the band mates don't know or care about tapeop.
-Matthew Macchio$tab

xonlocust
tinnitus

Post by xonlocust » Tue Aug 19, 2003 10:28 am

add me and you've got 3 bands out of it in chicago...

i've actually been pretty fortunate with this stuff, and when i was starting was real explicit and would say, look, i'm gonna do this, and it isn't gonna be the cats meow but i'm learning, and worst case scenario we'll get better sounding practice tapes.

as mentioned before, it's really good if you can keep everyone in the loop and try and get them excited - "hey, i just leaned this cool technique from this guy in new york, lets try it..." having another band member be your apprentice is really good to, so you can reinforce what you think you know and helps keep them involved.

it's a fine line though to make sure your recording isn't hindering your playing, and setting up mics and stuff takes away from band time. i'd always go in an hour or two early to practice and set everything up so practice was essentially the same as before.

in many ways it's easier to record yourself though because you know the material really well and know the other people's tastes really well.

that said though, i recorded our demo, but we're going to a commercial place for the full length. i want to be able to fully concentrate on making a good record, not worry about engineering.

but heck, your own band are perfect guinea pigs. who else do you get to try countless variations on?

Electricide
dead but not forgotten

Post by Electricide » Tue Aug 19, 2003 10:39 am

If any of you three in CHICAGO need a "tape op" message me. I usually have nights and weekend to dick around. Ya know, to hit record and watch levels. And criticize all or your songs and performances :^:

SchemeTeam
ass engineer

Post by SchemeTeam » Tue Aug 19, 2003 10:58 am

SchemeTeam wrote:
two words: Jimmy Page

endofanera wrote:
two words: Eddie Kramer
two more words: Andy Johns

I'm taking the foot out of my mouth right now. I guess I was assuming the topic was being objective as producer rather than engineer. my bad.
cheers! :wink: