Guitar tone

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
Auxillary
buyin' gear

Guitar tone

Post by Auxillary » Tue Aug 19, 2003 5:21 pm

Im looking to get a good chunky, slightly distorted guitar sound. ala promise ring. Lots of body, you know the kind of sound where you can just hear each and every string really strongly. What type of stuff would get this sound? I imagine it's almost all in the amp right? It really sounds that way to me...

guitar4lyfe
gimme a little kick & snare

Re: Guitar tone

Post by guitar4lyfe » Tue Aug 19, 2003 5:53 pm

Try a guitar with humbuckers and a clean tube amp. Fender Twins distort like that, you could maybe add a boost pedal if u need a lil more gain. I have an older silverface Twin Reverb('75 I think) and it sounds pretty close to what you want.

Edit: An Ibanez tube screamer might emulate what u want too if u have a decent amp.

Auxillary
buyin' gear

Post by Auxillary » Wed Aug 20, 2003 7:33 am

I think I need to add something to argue about in my posts :) this is the 10th post ive started that just floated away :)

cmon guys, im sur eif oseone reasponds, you can argue with him!

Catoogie
buyin' a studio

Post by Catoogie » Wed Aug 20, 2003 7:45 am

It's not all in the amp. It's never all in the amp, or all in the guitar, or all in the anything EXCEPT...all in the fingers.

In my experience Twin Reverbs need to ber VERY loud to ge the kinda break-up you're seeking. I would suggest using a small amp and slowly turn the volume up as you're playing until you achieve the amount of crunch you want.

For a simple, cheap, widely available amp try an Fender Pro Junior. You will not be disappointed. There are other great amps out there you may be able to get for less but you can walk into almost any music store and buy one new and they are great. Like Andy York says "There's not a bad sound in 'em".

clodock
alignin' 24-trk

Post by clodock » Wed Aug 20, 2003 7:47 am

I like tele's through medium size fender amps - vibroverbs and deluxes. I think it's the hugest guitar sound. Like bedhead, or echo and the bunnymen going further back. those single note, slightly distorted leads just rip right through the mix and sound huge.
john.

clodock recording parlour and back-scratchery
chicago, IL USA
www.clydog.com

"and let them scratch where it itches" - Dante

endofanera
gettin' sounds

Post by endofanera » Wed Aug 20, 2003 7:50 am

Auxillary wrote:cmon guys, im sur eif oseone reasponds, you can argue with him!
Well, I could argue that in my experience, healthy Fender Twins dont distort at all, and if you were looking for slightly broken up, basically clean tone, you may wanna look for a Marshall Plexi (reissue). They dont get all distorted, hi-gain chunky like an 800 or something, and certainly not crazy saturated like a Boogie Rec, just twist the volume knob to the right til it sounds like you want. Best thing is they're very sensitive to yr playing -- play lighter, and they clean up quite remarkably.

Also worth considering would be something like an older Fender Bassman, preferably a black face one or a tweed if you're made of money. A Marshall JTM-45 (again, reish) would be pretty equivalent.
"You get a kink in your neck looking up at people or down at people. But when you look straight across, there's no kinks."
--Mike Watt

endofanera
gettin' sounds

Post by endofanera » Wed Aug 20, 2003 7:51 am

Catoogie wrote:It's not all in the amp. It's never all in the amp, or all in the guitar, or all in the anything EXCEPT...all in the fingers.
Man, truer words were never spoke.
"You get a kink in your neck looking up at people or down at people. But when you look straight across, there's no kinks."
--Mike Watt

wayne kerr
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by wayne kerr » Wed Aug 20, 2003 8:01 am

It doesn't matter what kind of guitar you use at all. Just plug into Amp Farm w/ AxeModeller and Hendrixizer plugins and you'll sound like a pro in no time! AxeModeller is so good, you don't even have to tune - it takes pitch correction to the next level! In fact, you don't even have to play the guitar, you just hold it in your hands and shake it violently to make the strings vibrate - Hendrixizer does the rest! Just don't forget to bias the power tubes in your Mac - I suggest a matched quad of Svetlana EL34s.

Make sure you post MP3s when you're done so we can all hear the brilliance of AxeModeller and Hendrixizer working together... gotta go, Christina Aguilera just showed up for her next "Women in Rock" photo shoot... we're not using the guitar this time!
The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
-Hunter S. Thompson

Auxillary
buyin' gear

Post by Auxillary » Wed Aug 20, 2003 8:08 am

I read that Vox's a rebig on this sound too? I have not tried one before. But it seems like My option is a smaller fender amp, I've already coralled a few of their smaller things to trym an old old transistor amp and a peavey tube amp. Keep it comin guys, later today im going on a fest!

Suggest to mic further back or closer? Im gonna try it all anyways, but id like to know wher to start if at all.

PatrickBrown
pushin' record

Post by PatrickBrown » Wed Aug 20, 2003 8:38 am

Mesa Boogie's V-Twin Preamp Pedal is capable of some nice tonal coloration. It's basically the preamp section of a Rectifier amp(basically), and uses two 12ax7's which can be replaced with a couple of 12at7's. Not sure what's in mine. Never took em out to have a look.
Mine's one of the older ones, but it was a used one at a great price. The mother of tailgate construction makes them virtually unbreakable.

kayagum
ghost haunting audio students

Post by kayagum » Wed Aug 20, 2003 9:26 am

You may have answered your own question. The key is to dial *down* the distortion, especially when recording. My rule of thumb is whatever you think you need, dial that down by another 25%, and make up in volume.

For amps, I like Sovteks. Even though Sovtek amps are Marshall JTM45-like, their *clean* sound is great, because it has the "slightly distorted" sound. I heard Doug Martsch from Built to Spill likes the Fender Vibroking for the same reason.

Also (slightly downsignal from the fingers) is the strings. Don't expect chunky sounds out of a superlight set. 10-46 won't cut it either. Try at least elevens, maybe even more if you have hard tails. (Guitarists as varied as Stevie Ray Vaughn and Lee Renaldo espouse heavy strings). You can even capo a baritone guitar if you want extra meat.

inverseroom
on a wing and a prayer

Post by inverseroom » Wed Aug 20, 2003 10:09 am

I like the sound of a little old harp amp--they break up early and at very low volume. Use some outboard reverb (I like the EH Holy Grail on guitar!) and close miking (if this is for recording), and whatever your favorite guitar is. You can get a nice clear chugga chugga thing going. Or, if you like modeling stuff, I use the Tweed and Bassman settings on my Tech 21 PSA1 Sansamp all the time, esp. to run pedals through--the sansamp responds great.

les_chupacabra
ass engineer

Post by les_chupacabra » Wed Aug 20, 2003 1:25 pm

Auxillary
buyin' gear

Post by Auxillary » Wed Aug 20, 2003 1:57 pm

holy shit that bogner sounds AMAZING

wow

Catoogie
buyin' a studio

Post by Catoogie » Wed Aug 20, 2003 2:16 pm

I don't believe that you need heavy strings to ge a fat sound. Ed Van Halen uses .008's tuned down to Eb. And Billy Gibbons uses .008's tuned down to C.

Ed Van Halen could possible be one of the greatest RHYTHM guitarists EVER. He grooves!! AND is tone is....er....was happenin!