HOW OLD ARE YOU???

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
Electricide
dead but not forgotten

HOW OLD ARE YOU???

Post by Electricide » Fri Aug 22, 2003 5:56 am

I've been on the board long enough to recognize some of the screen names pretty well. Just wondering where in life everyone is coming from

i.e. BobG made a comment about the kids having grown up.

I'm 24, been through liberal arts unversity and did 16 months at a pro studio. Now I'm trying to get a band started with my coworker at the ol' corporate job. He's got rudimentary gear at best.

ladewd
suffering 'studio suck'

Re: HOW OLD ARE YOU???

Post by ladewd » Fri Aug 22, 2003 6:11 am

Too old to shlep around my keyboards and amps to play gigs anymore (no one needs keyboard players these days anyway). Kids are almost grown, One in college the other a sophmore in high school. Let's just say I reached my half century mark last year and I'm begining to feel like it.

Cary

XXGABEXX
tinnitus

Post by XXGABEXX » Fri Aug 22, 2003 6:24 am

I'm 27. I have about 6-7 years of school under my belt and no degree. I'm married, but we won't be having any kids. We have 2 of the furry kind* of kids. I played trumpet for 7 years in a ska-punk band and guitar in a couple of indie rock type bands over the past few years. I've worked at a sports car magazine since '94 and I'm about to quit my job, sell the house I'm restoring and move out of this town to finally finish a composition degree somewhere. In the meantime, I collect music equipment of all sorts and record at home on ye olde iMac.

I still want to be a rock star though.

-GABE

(*dogs)

dynomike
carpal tunnel

Post by dynomike » Fri Aug 22, 2003 6:57 am

I'm 18, been playing drums for about 7 years and am working at RadioShack so that my parents don't kick me out. Trying to save for university and a new guitar amp. (Mayfly BC30 or Stevenson 30 watt head).

mike

Rodgre
carpal tunnel

Post by Rodgre » Fri Aug 22, 2003 6:59 am

I guess I'm grampa around here. I'm 32. I've been engineering and producing since I was 19 in 1990, and before that, I was recording myself and my own band for many years. I didn't take any recording classes. I basically taught myself out of necessity.

And I've never, ever owned a 4-track.

Roger

inverseroom
on a wing and a prayer

Post by inverseroom » Fri Aug 22, 2003 7:02 am

33, two sons, 6 and 3. I've been playing guitar for more than 15 years and keyboards for more than 20, and have only gotten into recording (mostly as an intense hobby) in the past 3 years. And only got high-speed internet a few months ago, which is how come you see my time-wastin' mug on this board so damn often!

inverseroom
on a wing and a prayer

Post by inverseroom » Fri Aug 22, 2003 7:04 am

Rodgre wrote:And I've never, ever owned a 4-track.
By the way, Roger, I bought my first one last year, just to see what I was missing all that time, despite my already having a digital rig. It was great! I highly recommend it.

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Fri Aug 22, 2003 7:05 am

I'm 32 too. Dropped out of a University fine arts degree be a musician. I've been recording since I was 17 and I've been making a (very sparse) living at it for about three years.

Randy
tinnitus

Post by Randy » Fri Aug 22, 2003 7:05 am

38 yrs. Currently, I play extra parts (guitar, keys, horn, theremin, harmonica, etc.) in a band and have a job designing educational materials. I have been in a lot of bands, mostly punk/country stuff. The first recording I made was an interview with a parakeet when I was 5. I have done internships and hung out in studios, but never made a living doing it. I am a skateboarder and ride the pools around Chicago at least 3 times a week.
not to worry, just keep tracking....

brian beattie
steve albini likes it

Post by brian beattie » Fri Aug 22, 2003 7:13 am

42. I've 2 kids, 5 and 7. been doing this (recording) for 20 years. (actually, I made my first record when I was 16, in a punk rock band called "tapeworm", but someone else recorded it.) Stopped playing out regularly about 10 years ago when my band Glass Eye broke up, but I'm ready to start again. Recording's fun, but performing is WICKED FUN.
brian

bobbydj
on a wing and a prayer

Post by bobbydj » Fri Aug 22, 2003 7:15 am

34. Wait - 35. Shit, is it really really bad to be not sure?
Bobby D. Jones
Producer/Engineer
(Wives with Knives, Tyrone P. Spink, Potemkin Villagers et al)

helstab
george martin

Post by helstab » Fri Aug 22, 2003 7:16 am

22 married 1 cat (orange tabby) 1 dog (german Shepard). In the Coast Guard for 5 more months. Playing Bass in a band. working on a basement home studio in Baltimore. Can't wait to grow long hair and attempt a beard. I also skate about 3 times a week.

-Matt
-Matthew Macchio$tab

miamidevice
gettin' sounds

Post by miamidevice » Fri Aug 22, 2003 7:19 am

Hi,

I'm Michael Catano, 26 years old, and I'm currently blissfully unemployed. My rock band broke up a few months back so I'm spending my downtime trying to finish my MA thesis in English. I record bands when they ask me to, I do freelance editing work, and I've taught ESL at an English immersion program for the past three years. I'm currently playing drums with a cranky old man named Buck 65.

m.

@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

Post by @?,*???&? » Fri Aug 22, 2003 7:19 am

38, made tons of records in Los Angeles through the 90's up until now.

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Fri Aug 22, 2003 7:23 am

I'm 34.

Started playing drums at 10, switched to guitar at 16 (hey it was the 80s), got back on the kit around 27. I'm way better at drums, glad i picked 'em up again. Started recording about 18, i have a modest 8 track/DAW/high ceiling loft (yes!) setup now. Never attempted to engineer for a living, i just work on my own stuff and help out friends when they ask. For dough i work at a hospital doing administrative type stuff (ie: hanging out online.)

-scott