Guitar Amp Switchers

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
Double Tones
alignin' 24-trk

Guitar Amp Switchers

Post by Double Tones » Fri Aug 22, 2003 7:06 pm

Hi, I would like to get a good amp switcher and was wondering if anyone
has used\own any. Right now I have a mesa boogie mark 1 and an
orange ad30 hooked up together with a zvex sho pedal.
I am getting an annoying buzz sound and would rather be able to switch between amps and combine them when I want, rather than have em' on both at once constantly.

I have heard the Framptone amp switcher is really good. I would love to avoid phase problems as well get rid of this hum sound.

Thanks

wormunit
alignin' 24-trk

Re: Guitar Amp Switchers

Post by wormunit » Fri Aug 22, 2003 7:54 pm

I went through the same thing for many years. Hum, hum, and more hum when using a passive A/B box hooked up to two amps (if one of them was high gain).

I looked into the Framptone, but thought it was a bit pricey. I found a Roger Mayer Crossroads pedal that does essentially the same thing for a lot less. It is very transparent, and you can put it in an A/B mode or A+B mode. No hum even with high gain amps.

I got mine on ebay used for $125. The only thing that doesn't sound good with it is if you put a fuzz after the A/B box. Apparently most fuzzes like "to see" the impedance of a guitar pick up rather than a buffered pedal. That is it's only drawback that I've found.

Devin

Double Tones
alignin' 24-trk

Post by Double Tones » Fri Aug 22, 2003 7:59 pm

Thanks for the reply. I have heard of that box actually and the one thing that I don't like, that keeps me from buying it is that you can only have a a or b or a and b. Not both. I want both options without having to decide on one.

Peace

meblumen
steve albini likes it

Post by meblumen » Fri Aug 22, 2003 8:29 pm

Try www.looper.com I have heard that this guy does some pretty good work, although I don't have any personal experience with him.

onedyingtim
audio school graduate

Post by onedyingtim » Fri Aug 22, 2003 10:49 pm

I have heard that the hum is a ground loop, and therefore if you cut the ground of one of the plugs it will eliminate the hum. haven't tried it yet though, so I am not positive.

miamidevice
gettin' sounds

Post by miamidevice » Sat Aug 23, 2003 7:53 am

The Morley A/B/Y box is functional, not particularly expensive, realtively quiet, 9v operated and readily available.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie ... gory=22669

m.

wormunit
alignin' 24-trk

Post by wormunit » Sat Aug 23, 2003 8:03 am

FWIW, I found that the morley robbed tone from my guitar. It felt like I was playing through a wall of plastic.
I also tried the whirlwind--same thing.
I've tried lifting one ground on a guitar cable--still got major hum.
The crossroads solved all of the above. Very little impact on your tone and no hum.
The Framptone does the same thing I believe, but perhaps with a bit more flexibility, thus the higher price.
You also may want to try Lehle switchers. I've read good things about them, too.

Devin

Meriphew
deaf.

Post by Meriphew » Sat Aug 23, 2003 11:59 am

meblumen wrote:Try www.looper.com I have heard that this guy does some pretty good work, although I don't have any personal experience with him.
www.loooper.com - I have one of his earlier 3 loop boxes that's pretty cool.