How to Store Cables?

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
Brian Brock
buyin' a studio

How to Store Cables?

Post by Brian Brock » Sat Aug 23, 2003 1:09 pm

How do you all store your various cables?

On the subject of coiling, I have been told that by alternating outside and inside with each coil one prevents the multiple wires inside from twisting around each other. Is that your experience? I have often seen this type of coil become tangled, and occasionally I see twisted places.

Thank you!

Brian Brock

BobG
alignin' 24-trk

Re: How to Store Cables?

Post by BobG » Sat Aug 23, 2003 9:46 pm

A guy I have performed with a lot uses one of those wind-up reels (similar to a garden-hose reel).

He winds one up, connects the XLR jack of the first one to the XLR of the second one, winds it up, connects the XLR jack of the second one to the XLR of the third one, winds it up, and so on.

He unwinds only what he needs to use (like every other endowed male?)

Bear
deaf.

Post by Bear » Sat Aug 23, 2003 10:15 pm

I stuff them in a duffel bag and untangle them only when I absolutely have to.
I am wangtacular.

brew
pushin' record

Post by brew » Sat Aug 23, 2003 10:38 pm

the proper way to coil cable is the "over-hand under-hand" method, and is too awkward to describe in words. i'm sure there might be pictures on the net somewhere. my personal preference for storing is to velcro the coil at the top, and then hang, with the two ends hanging well below the coil, as to not get mixed up, though they usually don't.

if you're interested in interning or working at a pro studio, or in a similar environment, my advice would be to learn this technique first, or else ask on the first day. otherwise your audio career will likely end at the post-session tear down.

wardshorsehead
buyin' gear

Post by wardshorsehead » Sun Aug 24, 2003 1:47 am

over hand, under hand is the way.
i use these little girly hair things, the elastic with a ball on each end...slip the cable through one loop and it will stay on. after the over hand, under hand; just pop one ball over the other and its secure. cheaper that velcro (maybe $2 for a dozen), easier than velcro, and at the end of a session, you know that your cables are the ones with neon bears (plain ball ends are hard to find these days :-)

frank

omegatr0n
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by omegatr0n » Sun Aug 24, 2003 8:53 am