guitar practice amps

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
BobG
alignin' 24-trk

Re: guitar practice amps

Post by BobG » Sun Aug 24, 2003 8:03 pm

To answer about the Behringer Amp...
I played a larger one with 2 -12's and supposedly 100 watts RMS.
It was sounded dull and lifeless and did not appear to put out the power of what I thought should have been 100 watts.
Like they always say, try it out first before you buy when you can.

kayagum
ghost haunting audio students

Post by kayagum » Mon Aug 25, 2003 3:52 am

Fender Pro Junior- it can actually sound louder in a practice room than some full-sized amps.

zoetrope
pushin' record

Post by zoetrope » Mon Aug 25, 2003 6:20 am

If you're going to use headphones anyway why not get a Zoom PS-02. You can carry it around in your guitar case and record with it and it has a ton of amp sims and effects built in and drums and bass patterns you can program for a band in a box.

Can you tell I love the Zoom PS-02?

Zzounds sells them new for $199 (that's $200 to you and me) and ebay usually has a few for $100 to $150.

Just my 2 cents.

cURVe sPACe
takin' a dinner break

Post by cURVe sPACe » Thu Aug 28, 2003 2:18 pm

I just picked up one of the Vox Pathfinder 15s, and I really like what I've gotten out of it so far. I've tried a bunch of guitars through it, and it really sounds cool. For the money, you can't beat it. I also have a 63' blonde Fender Bassman and some other really nice amps, but my neighbors aren't big fans of the big amps at 3 a.m.

-mark
I'm goin' to the store, anybody need anything?

kingnimrod
pushin' record

Post by kingnimrod » Tue Sep 23, 2003 6:45 am

update -

Got the Tech 21 Trademark 10 and am having fun with it. It's very versatile and sounds really good for what it is. Does a pretty good job emulating various amps - very capable of even squeezing out the warmth of my Fender tweed amp.

One question, though - I am finding it somewhat difficult to find the best setting for running in distortion-type effects like my Proco Rat and MXR Bluebox. I can't seem to find a clean setting yet that lets the character of the pedal take over. So far the Rat just augments the gain and doesn't add its characteristic sound to the signal. The bluebox just turns to mud. Anyone have any tips on dialing in the right settings??

But apart from that, this little amp is killer. Would be nice if it retailed for $150 instead of $250, but if you actually do a good bit of recording, this thing will definitely pay for itself with its range.

thanks for the suggestions, guys

jaredbyline
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by jaredbyline » Tue Sep 23, 2003 9:22 am

I actually know about this!!! I have that little Orange with the Reverb. LOVE IT! Tone isn't as versatile as it could be, but it's a practice amp you don't need too much. And for the 115 I paid, it's awesome.

I would also recommend looking at the epiphone galaxie. It's a practice amp with TUBES!! 1 12ax7 and 1 6L6. It's about 180.