Stolen M49 on Ebay...

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
wayne kerr
ears didn't survive the freeze

Stolen M49 on Ebay...

Post by wayne kerr » Tue Aug 26, 2003 8:10 am

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 2553148536

Interesting. Last week this guy had a BLUE Cactus for sale. Funny thing is, it didn't come with the flight case, the power supply or the power supply cable. Interesting how someone could just "lose" all the accessories that music stores keep behind the counter! The Cactus DID include the shock mount and pop filter... at least the guy managed not to "lose" that! Or did he have them to offer because GC displays 'em with the shock/pop in the case??

So, now we have a "VINTAGE" M49 which has "NEVER BEEN USED" (wow! Oughtta be worth about twelve grand, eh!) and even includes the SHOCK MOUNT! What a deal! Oops- no power supply? Gosh he sure has trouble holding onto those pesky power supplies! Well, that's understandable, they're sure easy to lose! Hell I've lost 10 or 12 myself. It's embarassing - I leave 'em at the laundromat, at McDonald's, on the bus... sometimes, when I'm walking around town with them, they just fall out of my pocket too and I never see 'em again...

I propose a little email campaign to this clown.

Who's down???
The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
-Hunter S. Thompson

Electricide
dead but not forgotten

Re: Stolen M49 on Ebay...

Post by Electricide » Tue Aug 26, 2003 8:14 am

be very very wary. Studio I was at had a C12VR stolen. AKG won't sell a power supply by itself unless you send them your old one, so I don't know how you'd get one.

I wonder if BLUE has the same policy. It's in place to deter such theft, I assume.

Just notify eBay authorities.

wayne kerr

Post by wayne kerr » Tue Aug 26, 2003 8:39 am

Just notify eBay authorities.
Certainly a good course of action, but I'd like to get an email campaign going so this guy starts to get the message. I think we shoul all ask him for the S/N and for an explanation of what happened to the power supply.
The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
-Hunter S. Thompson

loudmusic
steve albini likes it

Post by loudmusic » Tue Aug 26, 2003 9:11 am

Hey. You may in fact be right... there might be something shady with this fella... but dang have you even talked to him?? How do you know what the deal is? It IS possible there is a reasonable explaination. Now I'll admit it looks pretty scammy, but if you haven't talked to the guy and have just reached a conclusion...
that's sort of scary too. Witch hunt. Mob justice.
I''m saying this as someone who was ripped off for $1400 on ebay so I am definatly not on the seller's "side" per se. Just concerned at how seemingly quickly you are to convict and execute you idea of justice.

I say just email him and check out his story first. Maybe contact some of his recent customers and see how they feel about him. Freaking do some investigation before getting all fired up. If you find out he's a fraud GREAT! But at least you won't be GUESSING that he is.

Do you know what I'm saying.

Marty

blameshifter
gettin' sounds

Post by blameshifter » Tue Aug 26, 2003 9:34 am

i have to agree with loudmusic. it may be a coincedence. if it isnt, fry his ass, and ill back it up. but at least find out some info first. id like to know what his story is. post it if its good!
"My freedom to move my fist must be limited
by the proximity of your chin."

wayne kerr

Post by wayne kerr » Tue Aug 26, 2003 10:42 am

It IS possible there is a reasonable explaination.
One time? OK, maybe, but TWO very expensive tube mics missing the EXACT SAME VERY EXPENSIVE and necessary components? The exact components that dealers keep BEHIND the counter for this very reason? Coincidence? Doubt it.

Besides, I DID email him about the Cactus. I asked him why there was no PS, Cable or Anvil case (which is standard with the Cactus). I got a reply WITHIN THE HOUR (usually a GOOD sign). His reply was very dodgy. He didn't explain WHY those items were missing, but informed me that it would be "very easy" to obtain replacements from the MFR - and hey, look at the great deal you're gonna get on this phenomenal microphone, thanks for your question, good luck bidding, yadda yadda yadda.

I emailed him back the next day asking for the S/N and an actual photo of the actual piece (as opposed to the one he jacked from Sweetwater). Never heard from him. Suddenly, this enthusiastic, good-luck wishing, good-vibe giving seller who replies within the hour doesn't want to provide me with any more information about this major purchase?

I emailed him a third time explaining that I'd need an actual photo and the S/N of the mic before I could place a bid.

No reply.

I emailed him a fourth time explaining to him that I was prepared to bid $2000, but would not do so because he refused to answer my questions.

No reply.

Auction ended.

And now - he's got a VINTAGE mic that's NEVER BEEN USED? He's got a photo from the Neumann historical products page? There is no power supply? No cable? No box? Yet it's UNUSED???? Sitting on a shelf for all these years, just right there all by its lonesome, only its shock mount to keep it copmpany? Puh-Leaze!
-Hunter S. Thompson

wayne kerr

Post by wayne kerr » Tue Aug 26, 2003 10:47 am

Here's the Cactus auction:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... gory=15198

And here are his other items for sale:

http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?V ... 3&since=-1

Funny, the guy sells $2500 digital cameras, but he can't photograph the items he's selling for auction??
-Hunter S. Thompson

matttherat
gettin' sounds

Post by matttherat » Tue Aug 26, 2003 11:01 am

so then report him to eBay. They take that kind of thing very seriously. Also, email the folks who bought stuff.

But flaming the seller with emails won't really bring any justice. If the guy is truly shady, it needs to be proven and dealt with.

my $0.02

bedbug
buyin' a studio

Post by bedbug » Tue Aug 26, 2003 11:07 am

Dude's item description says
"Item is NOT refurbished nor item is NOT grey market. "

"Nor item is NOT grey market" is a double negative, right? Does that mean the item is grey market?

wayne kerr

Post by wayne kerr » Tue Aug 26, 2003 11:07 am

so then report him to eBay. They take that kind of thing very seriously.
They'd like to have you believe so anyway.
Also, email the folks who bought stuff.
Done.
But flaming the seller with emails won't really bring any justice.

Then don't do it. It's not a matter of 'flaming,' it's a matter of a bunch of people all hitting him with the same thing in the hope to at least make him question his impunity.
If the guy is truly shady, it needs to be proven and dealt with.
IF? Can you exaplain how the guy gets $10,000 worth of microphones from TWO DIFFERENT manufacturers, both WITH the accessories displayed with the item, yet both also missing the items that AREN'T?? Dude, I got some land in Florida I'd like you to take a look at.
my $0.02
You'll get taken for a lot more than that if you ever bid on one of his auctions!
Last edited by wayne kerr on Tue Aug 26, 2003 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Hunter S. Thompson

wayne kerr

Post by wayne kerr » Tue Aug 26, 2003 11:09 am

"Nor item is NOT grey market"
Not to mention, IT COULD NOT BE "GRAY MARKET!" There is no such thing as a gray market for vintage or used goods. I'm seeing way too many red flags here.
-Hunter S. Thompson

bedbug
buyin' a studio

Post by bedbug » Tue Aug 26, 2003 11:10 am

Another one from the same guy. Also no cables, power supply or box

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 2552922403

wayne kerr

Post by wayne kerr » Tue Aug 26, 2003 11:12 am

Another one from the same guy. Also no cables, power supply or box
Except it's a solid-state Blueberry which neither requires nor comes with a PS or a PS cable. Shocking that there's no box tho!
-Hunter S. Thompson

PatrickBrown
pushin' record

Post by PatrickBrown » Tue Aug 26, 2003 11:24 am

Retail on a Blueberry is 1295. Streets for 999. With box. Shock mount is extra, and there are two different ones of which you've a choice.

wayne kerr

Post by wayne kerr » Tue Aug 26, 2003 11:37 am

Shock mount is extra, and there are two different ones of which you've a choice.
There is actually only one Blueberry.
-Hunter S. Thompson