Pleasure Forever - Alter

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
xonlocust
tinnitus

Pleasure Forever - Alter

Post by xonlocust » Tue May 13, 2003 10:27 pm

just wanted to say thier new record is totally amazing, and Larry recorded it too. check it out. it's cool to hear since he wrote that review of that behringer crossover a couple issues back that they used on the record. if they're in your town go see them, their keyboard player/singer is amazing in that super well trained he can actually play keyboard and probably went to music school (sounds classically trained) but then got into punk rock and drugs and debauchery and everything went horribly awry and this is what turned out - in such a good way. (and personally, i really love the drumming too - all of it is pretty orchestral in it's arangement) - and hey, song 1 ends with the super cliche but i havent heard it in a while manually stop the reels on mixdown trick.

http://www.subpop.com/bands/pleasurefor ... album.html

such a pleasure to listen to people who can actually play.

lucky for us!

TapeOpLarry
TapeOp Admin
TapeOp Admin

Re: Pleasure Forever - Alter

Post by TapeOpLarry » Wed May 14, 2003 1:31 am

That record was a blast to make. I didn't get to see them play live until after recording the album, and they rocked. There's a comp track we did too coming out on some "buddyhead" thing through Nettwerk, whatever buddyhead is. On the album we did a lot of changing drum mics around from song to song and doing stuff like dampining the toms to hell, etc. We really tried to change the sounds physically for every song. Fun! Thanks for digging it.

rodeojones
audio school graduate

Post by rodeojones » Wed May 14, 2003 1:57 am

jchris
audio school graduate

Post by jchris » Wed May 14, 2003 7:14 am

i gotta do some posting, get that 'audio school' off from beside my name...

as to the drum sounds. i happened by when pleasure forever was doing that album, and i saw a few of the drum setups. not your typical stuff. drums raised up on platforms... mics from across the room... it looked like they were having fun. i was interning when dave the drummer was recording with another band, and he seemed interested in the recording process, so i can see where the impetus to experiment could have arisen.

that's all for now folks,
jchris

prince turbo lung
pushin' record

Post by prince turbo lung » Wed May 14, 2003 7:28 am

i need to hear that album. i grew up with those guys in colorado. andy is by no means has classic training. that is good old teaching yourself how to play. those guys have been doing bands for years. check out angel hair, and the vss. and if you want a real kick check out andy's old punk band linus.
its on like donkey kong!!!!

xonlocust
tinnitus

Post by xonlocust » Wed May 14, 2003 8:42 am

prince-
yeah - i've got the VSS stuff, but never could track down angel hair. that's a great testament to andy's talent then! but i guess you can see that since his stuff now is much more technical than the VSS days.

larry/jchris-
i was just listening again this morning, even though the setup changed a lot - what did you use on the bass drum? (mic and placement) i'm tracking something right now w/a D112 that just doesnt fit right. what did you guys use to dampen the toms? moon gels? old fashioned tape? anything else you wanna wax poetic about the session about? how about the guitar sound? oh, actually, i was wonderting about the vocals - are they tracked dirty like that or is that in mixdown?

thanks!
nick