MIDI Patchbay

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
newguy12
alignin' 24-trk

MIDI Patchbay

Post by newguy12 » Wed May 14, 2003 12:21 am

I kinda understand what one is but can someone provide a more in depth explanation of what one is and more importantly how it works and why it is useful.

les_batteries
audio school

Re: MIDI Patchbay

Post by les_batteries » Wed May 14, 2003 7:15 am

newguy-

basically routing MIDI info to the proper place(s) without re-plugging. You probably wouldn't need such a thing with a simple setup of one (or two) MIDI module a keyboard and a computer w/MIDI interface. If you've got a moderately sophisticated computer-based recording setup w/MIDI modules, you might want something like a MOTU MTP-AV which would be your interface and patchbay and have the added benefit of aiding in synchronization matters. There are lots of variations in patchbay/interfaces made by MOTU and Opcode with varying levels of sophistcation and numbers of ins/outs. If on the other hand you just need a MIDI patchbay there are quite a few used available at decent prices from the usual sources.
Digital Music Corp. MX-8, Midiman thru 3x8 and Kawai MAV-8 are among those I know of...

HTH
Rick Brown
(Sue Garner, Les Batteries, Two Mule Team)

newguy12
alignin' 24-trk

Post by newguy12 » Wed May 14, 2003 10:24 am

The one thing I'm confused about, does a midi patchbay function just like an audio patchbay except that all of the connections are made internally or does it function in some other way. The reason I ask all this is because I have a microKorg, a Prophet 600, a midi controller, a cheap casio keyboard w/midi, a drum machine and an external sequencer. I use various combinations of all of these at any given time in addition to sequencing stuff on my computer using the midi interface on my echo layla as well as controling virtual instruments. Hence I'm constantly connecting different pieces of gear, plugging in others and swapping connections which gets to be a big pain in the ass. So would a midi patchbay benefit my rig or would I just be wasting my money?

newguy12
alignin' 24-trk

Post by newguy12 » Wed May 14, 2003 4:27 pm

Anybody else have any input?

markpar
george martin

Post by markpar » Wed May 14, 2003 4:51 pm

newguy12 wrote:Hence I'm constantly connecting different pieces of gear, plugging in others and swapping connections which gets to be a big pain in the ass. So would a midi patchbay benefit my rig or would I just be wasting my money?
Probably. Depending on the price. The unit will definitely keep you from having to plug and unplug MIDI cables all the time. Not sure what your price range is, though.

-mark

newguy12
alignin' 24-trk

Post by newguy12 » Wed May 14, 2003 5:16 pm

Well I saw some of these on ebay which were pretty cheap

http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dl ... i+patchbay

Basically, the less I have to spend on something, the better because I'm on a pretty rigid budget. I've seen some units go for $200+ and if I have to spend something along those lines I'll have to wait sometime before I can make such a purchase.

markpar
george martin

Post by markpar » Wed May 14, 2003 5:18 pm

That Roland unit looks pretty nice. I bet it would work fine for your needs.

-mark

newguy12
alignin' 24-trk

Post by newguy12 » Wed May 14, 2003 8:18 pm

The roland would have been good, but before I could bid, it was already sold. Any other recommendations?

markpar
george martin

Post by markpar » Wed May 14, 2003 10:38 pm

The Anatek is cool because it will convert MTC to SMPTE, that might come in handy. It's also 7 in, 8 out. Most of the others are 4 in, 8 out. I'd probably try to snag that one next, if it was me.

-mark