Phase question

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
newguy12
alignin' 24-trk

Re: Phase question

Post by newguy12 » Wed May 14, 2003 7:22 pm

Where can I buy a hammond box?

newguy12
alignin' 24-trk

Post by newguy12 » Wed May 14, 2003 7:23 pm

and how do you mount XLR inputs and other things on/in (using a drill, saw etc) ?

newguy12
alignin' 24-trk

Post by newguy12 » Wed May 14, 2003 7:29 pm

sorry, one more thing. What are jumpers, what type should I get and what type of wire do I use when soldering the components together.

ciminosound
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by ciminosound » Wed May 14, 2003 7:50 pm

I like to wire up phase reverse or pads in those Switchcraft adapters they make. You buy them unwired. XLR male to female about the size of their turnarounds.

newguy12
alignin' 24-trk

Post by newguy12 » Thu May 15, 2003 7:16 pm

Would someone be kind enough to tell me what are jumpers, what type should I get, and from where? Also to wire up a phase reverse box do I just use balanced mic/line cable or do I need something else?

soundguy
ghost haunting audio students

Post by soundguy » Thu May 15, 2003 7:30 pm

you can use standard mic cable to wire the box up. Jumping just means connect, so you just take a bit of wire and connect the appropriate terminals on the switch. you can use a trimmed piece of whatever cable you use to connect the panel connectors to the switch.

dave

thunderboy
buyin' a studio

Post by thunderboy » Thu May 15, 2003 7:32 pm

a jumper, in this case, would be 20-22 gauge copper wire. I like solid wire, but stranded wire is a bit easier to work with IMO. Radio Shack or any hardware store.
you don't need any cable to make this box, just the parts soundguy described.

good luck!

jt
"most toreadors worth a damn are circumcized."
- Discs of Tron

newguy12
alignin' 24-trk

Post by newguy12 » Thu May 15, 2003 9:19 pm

Two questions: I just wanted to clarify, I can use the copper wire to hook up the entire box right? And what do you guys use to cut the wholes in a hammond box to accomadate the XLR panel mounts?

thunderboy
buyin' a studio

Post by thunderboy » Thu May 15, 2003 10:48 pm

1 -Yes.

2 - If you think you might do a lot of this type of thing, there are tools you will need. If not, just take it to a local machinist (or even someone with a decent woodshop) and have them do it for you. Bring along an XLR panel mount to ensure it gets done right!

jt
- Discs of Tron

newguy12
alignin' 24-trk

Post by newguy12 » Thu May 15, 2003 11:00 pm

thunderboy, thanks for the help, one thing though, when I asked what do you guys use to cut the holes, I know there are special tools. I wanted to know which ones (such as drills or drill presses, routers bandsaws etc...)

thunderboy
buyin' a studio

Post by thunderboy » Thu May 15, 2003 11:14 pm

Well, sure. You could use a drill press. You'll need to construct a jig to hold the box in place while you drill. Use a metal cutting bit at a low speed.

Also, somewhere out there somebody sells a die cutter for this purpose. You still have to drill a small pilot hole, but you could use a power drill (careful!) for that. Sorry, but I don't know off-hand who carries this item, but I'll post it if I think of it.

jt
- Discs of Tron

soundguy
ghost haunting audio students

Post by soundguy » Fri May 16, 2003 8:49 am

I have drilled ever hammond box I have built up with a hand drill. Ive also cursed every time I did it, but thats another story. You can get a metal bit from home depot and they sell big bits to cut the right hole, or they sell these tapered bits so you can make any size hole you want.

read this carefully:

hammond boxes are aluminum. This means they are really easy to drill. It also means that your bit, when it punches through the metal, will get caught on the box and pull the box out of your hand causing you to scream obscenities and often bleed. If you dont have a vice to hold the box, DO NOT hold it with your hand when you drill it. Hold the box firmly against the ground with your foot and drill it that way, youll be glad you did.

dave

EasyGo
buyin' a studio

Post by EasyGo » Fri May 16, 2003 9:18 am

A Unibit (conical 'stepped' drill bit, about $30 at the home center) works GREAT on Hammond boxes. Since I'm such an idiot, I'm surprised how neatly my DI box came out.

And those Hammonds are very nice enclosures (thanks Dave!).