a good mic for a loud guitar amp?

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
onedyingtim
audio school graduate

a good mic for a loud guitar amp?

Post by onedyingtim » Wed Sep 03, 2003 4:25 am

I play through a mesa triple rectifier, and needs to be pretty loud to get a good tone. Any mic recommendations? I just remember when I first went into the studio and the engineer turned it way down, and I have regretted not saying anything since then.

millionVALVE
audio school graduate

Re: a good mic for a loud guitar amp?

Post by millionVALVE » Wed Sep 03, 2003 6:06 am

A simple answer is the plain old SM-57. Takes pretty major SPL and is very commonly used to mic guitar cabs. You should be able to get right up on it.

Some people hate them for recording, but the majority of folks dig them and can see past their relative cheapness/live sound app/unsexiness.

A complicated answer? That's for someone else!

.nick

ahmedgarcia
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by ahmedgarcia » Wed Sep 03, 2003 6:25 am

Sure SM57, and/or Sennheiser E609. These are standards.

I have also had fun with pairs of my cheep Oktava 319 and 012 for hot lead guitar sounds.

rhythm ranch
mixes from purgatory

Post by rhythm ranch » Wed Sep 03, 2003 7:04 am

I know a lot of folks like them, but I have always had a very hard time getting a sound I was happy with while recording Mesa Boogie amps. To my ear, their tone sounds very "hyped", almost artificial. And yes, we also had to crank it to get anything useful. Have you tried playing through and recording any other amps?

Obviously, this is just my take on it; others have been very successful recording Boogies.

To actually answer your question, I agree with the above on the SM-57 and the e609. You might also try a Shure SM-7, KSM-32 or Sennheiser 421.
Good luck,
Mark

Kyle
steve albini likes it

Post by Kyle » Wed Sep 03, 2003 8:54 am

I'm a big fan of the Oktava ML-52 ribbon on a guitar amp, sounds just like the source.
Kyle

Al
moves faders with mind

Post by Al » Wed Sep 03, 2003 9:04 am

I would choose a loud 57 to go with that loud geet'r amp!

jspartz
buyin' gear

Post by jspartz » Wed Sep 03, 2003 10:34 am

I have had good luck with a beyer M-88 on loud guitar amps. Also the Shure SM-7 can be nice. I think that the SM-7 is a smoother sound then the M-88. Both can be great!

jason

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Wed Sep 03, 2003 11:09 am

if you have a d112 try it out for the boogie.

EasyGo
buyin' a studio

Post by EasyGo » Wed Sep 03, 2003 11:27 am

SKY_AT_NO_NOON wrote:if you have a d112 try it out for the boogie.
Just the kinda crazy talk I like to hear. I have a Boogie, and I will try that.

teleharmonium
pushin' record

Post by teleharmonium » Wed Sep 03, 2003 12:24 pm

I have heard from some people with good ears that the A-T ATM29HE is a dynamic a lot like a 57 but somewhat better sounding (and around the same price). Can anyone here confirm or deny ?

Allcalm
pluggin' in mics

Post by Allcalm » Wed Sep 03, 2003 12:29 pm

Royer 121, coles 4038.. those would be my top choice.. combined with a 421.
I'd shy away from the sm57, i've gotten some good tones with a 57 but once i started using the above combo (pan hard L/R), i've never gone back. The 57 is fine with no other options but now it just sounds thin compared to the other options.
BTW- I've used a 112, its ok, it can be better than a 57 but you can't shape it as much with placement. (off axis, etc)

marqueemoon
carpal tunnel

Post by marqueemoon » Wed Sep 03, 2003 1:07 pm

The assumption that an amp has to be loud "to get a good tone" is pretty loaded where recording is concerned. Most of the mics suggested would do an adequate if not excellent job of handling a "loud" amp, but that is not ultimately the point. To get the best end results you sometimes have to throw out everything you think you know.

djslayerissick
buyin' gear

Post by djslayerissick » Wed Sep 03, 2003 1:34 pm

i like the sm57 2 inches from the grill combined with a direct out.

the most important thing to remember here is not the mic as much as it is the settings on the amp.

it took us 4 months to finally find the sweet spot on that amp. dont let your ears fool you. you dont need as much distortion as you think. if you're downtuning (which i hope you are, b/c thats what the mesas do best) - you dont need as much low end as you think.

and..... DONT scoop ALL of those mids. you need them for bite and presence in the mix. if you reduce the low mids (from 180 to 300hz), you can make the percieved volume seem twice as loud but still be in the same decibel range.

rich
alignin' 24-trk

Post by rich » Wed Sep 03, 2003 1:42 pm

hmmm lets see.... weve been recording this heavy rock project and for the main loud guitar tone weve tried a few things. the band paid us in gear so weve taken some creative liberties with some stuff. the main guitar player uses a newer marshall head which has some of the same characteristics of the triple rec. we put a 57, and a blue ball on the cab, a rode nt1 about 2 feet away from it, and sent the guitar through a y cable which sends it to a little champ that we have cranked and miced with a 57. strange as it may sound the overdriven tone of the little amp has way more balls than the marshall. but anyway if your on a budget (like me) id say 57 is the best bet. if you have cash to throw around the coles and 421 as suggested above is a good combo.

lobstman
buyin' gear

Post by lobstman » Wed Sep 03, 2003 3:04 pm

Don't forget, placement is just as critical (if not more so) than the mic itself. A 57 in the right place will always sound better than a Royer in the wrong one. Moving a mic 1" can make a HUGE difference in the tone- move 'em towards/away from the center of the speaker, nearer/farther away from the cabinet , whatever it takes. I like blending 2 mics on an amp, too (just watch for phase problems).

A lot of folks scoff at 57s, and they aren't necessarily the best mic for every application, but history tells us they ARE capable of providing good recorded sound- ya just gotta know what to do with 'em.