ampeg V4 and V2 differences?

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
deadair
steve albini likes it

Re: ampeg V4 and V2 differences?

Post by deadair » Thu Sep 04, 2003 2:15 pm

more ampegs in western mass. sweet. i have only played mine with guitar so far, and it seems very murky, especially when compared to my traynor or marshall, which have much more attack. i'm hoping a cleaning and maybe some retubing will help it out.

realizing it didnt have a low cut switch, now i'm thinking about seeing if one can be added. that would probably be a more versatile and helpful than just additional midrange tweaks.....which might only give slight difference. although, midrange is a damn important beast......

i was actually using a aby pedal to switch from channel 1 to 2 for clean to distorted and tried running them both at once and could only hear the distorted. maybe with some tweaking it could work, or if you had an effect going to one, you could do something cool with both. but i think you might be dissapointed if you're thinking you'll easily hear the clean and the distorted. just lettin you know.

and jim metts is definately the guy to go for for any western mass tube amps i think. no doubt!

lastly, whats this store in vermont, and how far is it from our western mass homes?

deadair
steve albini likes it

Post by deadair » Thu Sep 04, 2003 2:36 pm

said local amp man just advised me that adding a low cut or boost switch was a bad idea in his opinion. and i'm takin it. anywhoo.....

discs of tron
takin' a dinner break

Post by discs of tron » Thu Sep 04, 2003 3:49 pm

it's called "musician's junkyard."
28 river st
windsor, vt
802-674-5455

it's located on the 2nd floor of this out of the way warehouse in windsor. (windsor is around halfway up the state of vt, roughly 2 hrs, right off 91.)
river st is a right off of the main drag, which is route 5 (OUR rt5)
then you pull off through a big parking lot, around the back of this 1st warehouse building, over some train tracks (i shit you not), to the 2nd warehouse bldg. around the back, up the stairs. i walk in there, and i'm like "you get a lot of walk-in customers?" and they're like "yep."

one gets the sense that they're used to a different client base then us w mass indy whatever types. it seemed like they were kinda surprised that someone would want an old tube head over, say, a g-k or something. weird mix of stuff. kinda like a fair amount of cheese with some hidden gems. the v2 was kinda hidden behind some other stuff. i also tried an acoustic head (i think a 140) which had a nasty hum. and they had a bunch of the old peavey mark 3 or whatever beasts. if you give them a call, denny (who appears to be the owner) will let you know what's around in stock. it's also a nice drive with the significant other. it's not much further up 91 to queechee, home of the mighty queechee gorge, and a guy who sells the best roadside open-pit-roasted-in-the-husk corn-on-the-cob that you are likely to ever experience. check it out.