ampeg V4 and V2 differences?

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
deadair
steve albini likes it

ampeg V4 and V2 differences?

Post by deadair » Wed Sep 03, 2003 5:43 pm

i have long been an admirer of the v4, and then, today, i was given a v2 that needs some love.... so i'm wondering how close this v2 of mine is to the beatsly v4 i have desired.... i know the obvious difference that its 50/60watts, not 100, but from what internet poking around i did i gathered the v2 only had one model, where as the v4 had the bass and guitar model. also, i've heard the only difference between the different v4s is where the eq rocker switchers are (frequency-wise).... (and the reverb...)

so, i've been left to wonder which the v2 is more like (eq-wise, if the above rumor is even true), and even if a simple mod would make the rocker Hz placements better..... or more universal (i'd like to use it for both bass and guitar).... any insights would be appreciated.

coltrane radio
audio school

Re: ampeg V4 and V2 differences?

Post by coltrane radio » Wed Sep 03, 2003 6:01 pm

the V-2 preamp circuit is identical to the V-4. yes, there was only one model V-2 and it quickly became the V-3. i think they just dropped the reverb?

deadair
steve albini likes it

Post by deadair » Wed Sep 03, 2003 6:04 pm

cool. any idea about the eq? i dont think i've even heard about v3s.......

i was in atomic music outside d.c. and they had a vt-40 someone had taken out of a combo and put in a wooden case for $170, pretty tempting. supposedly thats the same amp as well?

coltrane radio
audio school

Post by coltrane radio » Wed Sep 03, 2003 6:18 pm

yeah,

the v-2 and the vt-40 are the same. they used the same chassis i think too.

as far as modifying the amp goes, have you tried it like it is now? im a firm believer in "if it aint broke dont fix it" it may work fine for bass or guitar.

deadair
steve albini likes it

Post by deadair » Wed Sep 03, 2003 6:33 pm

oh, i agree, the mod-ing, was just kinda a stupid idea....... the person who gave it to me told me it didnt work, but it turned on and made some ruckus with a guitar.... it seems pretty muddy, and i'm thinking some new tubes wouldnt hurt it, also, the bass eq knob seemed to do little to nothing, so i thought maybe it was fucked. the reverb also sounds pretty crappy, which i just read they usually do, but i thought maybe it could be fixed up a little better too. but what do i know, i love tube amps, but know all too little about them, so, i'm just going to take it to the local amp guru and see what he can do/suggests.......

Catoogie
buyin' a studio

Post by Catoogie » Thu Sep 04, 2003 6:12 am

VT-40's RULE!!!! Todd Sharp who plays with Delbert McClinton uses them and his tone is the shit!

miamidevice
gettin' sounds

Post by miamidevice » Thu Sep 04, 2003 6:57 am

I traded my VT-40 (w/ 4 JBLs) for a Fender Showman several years ago and I have since come to regret it. I currently have a late model V4 (master volume, no distortion knob), and I love it. You will learn to curse its excessive bulk.

m.

Gebo
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Gebo » Thu Sep 04, 2003 7:13 am

Will, Jim Metts, who works out of spirt sound and blue note (north hampton) is quite the ampeg buff for what I understand. He did some work on mikeys v4. Maybe give him a call and see what he says. Plus, of your gonna get any work done, hes the man to do it...
As it was in the begining, so shall it be in the end...

audiopirate
audio school graduate

Post by audiopirate » Thu Sep 04, 2003 7:14 am

OK, so it does weigh a freakin ton, but god damn it's tough as hell. A properly cleaned up/biased/recapped/retubed V-2 is to die for.
Get the drummer to lug your head around.
Swarshbuklin'!

friendlybunny
pushin' record

Post by friendlybunny » Thu Sep 04, 2003 7:18 am

I used to have the v4 and sold it because of the bulk and excessive volume. I now have a vt-40 and it is by far the best amp I've ever owned. I will never need another amp. The reverb is great actually (maybe not as great as the older reverberockets or geminis). I personally think 4-10" speakers are the best. The nicest thing about the vt-40/ v4 is the eq section. You can get any tone you want out of these amps.

I don't know how to mod the v2 for bass, but I'm guessing the eq could be modded with different capacitors. I'm not an expert. Also... be careful messing around under the hood of these ampegs, there is a lot of voltage waiting to zap you.

Cedar
gettin' sounds

Post by Cedar » Thu Sep 04, 2003 7:55 am

The total volume output between the two depends on the cabinet you are using. A V4 can't be turned up beyond "3" at the volume stage, as all you'll have is a 'too saturated' sound. I have heard V2s played through an original Sunn 4x12 @ 8ohms and it was LOUD! Best setup is still a V4 through a Marshall 1960 4x12 or, if you can get your hands on one, a Marshall 8x10. V4 = king of amps.
p.s. Last night I did live sound for an aweful funk band. They didn't even have amps! All they brought with them was their shitty little PODs. One of the guitarists had an original 57 Fender Showman, and said he thought it sounded like shit, so he bought a POD. Almost cried...

deadair
steve albini likes it

Post by deadair » Thu Sep 04, 2003 8:32 am

kev. jim is exactly who i was planning on taking it to.... he's worked on all my amps, and on all my friends amps, always very reasonably priced and knowledgable. i've already left a phone message for him about it.

meanwhile i never knew there was such love for v4/v4/vt40/etc, crazy.

does anybody know the eq difference between a v4b and a v4 though? hmmmm.[/b]

miamidevice
gettin' sounds

Post by miamidevice » Thu Sep 04, 2003 9:57 am

deadair wrote:does anybody know the eq difference between a v4b and a v4 though?
As far as I understand it, they are identical except for the V4B's lack of reverb and replacement of the hi-boost switch with a low-boost switch. The mid frequency selector might have different frequencies as well, but I'm not sure offhand. There's not a lot of difference.

m.

discs of tron
takin' a dinner break

Post by discs of tron » Thu Sep 04, 2003 12:28 pm

what's up my fellow western mass peeps. i was psyched to see this thread. i just got a v2 (to be a bass head) about a week ago. i got it for $150 with new tubes in it at this little hard-to-find place in windsor, vt. the proprietor thought it strange when i plugged in my bass on the distortion channel and cranked the distortion. anyhow, the relationship has been short so far, but i really like my bass thru this thing. i'm considering getting an a/b/y pedal so i can run through the clean and distortion channels at the same time, when that's what the situation calls for. i'm psyched to hear about the blue note guy. in my opinion, the only modding it needs to be a great bass head is turning down the reverb. but if you hear about any bass-oriented mods, let me know. by the way, i'm not amp-master flash or anything, but to me, it's a damn LOUD 60 watts. mine goes through a 15" peavey cab, and it's as loud as i think i'll ever need.

Everybody's X
re-cappin' neve

Post by Everybody's X » Thu Sep 04, 2003 1:08 pm

Well, I believe the only difference between the v2 is the v4 has 2 extra power tubes. I have a '71 v2 that I did I a very cool (and reversible) mod to. I run it with el-34's and it flat out rocks, this is a non master volume head and it sounds better than my marshall 25/50 and as good as my buddy's JTM-45. It starts breaking up around "3" like my old deluxe reverb and just gets sweeter as you turn it up. I have used it as a bass head as well (with the original 7027a's) and it is very SVTish and quite workable. I love this amp and didnt pay dick for it ($100!) There is no way that it is 50 watts though. I have the 25/50 running as well as a boogie 50 caliber and the ampeg blows the shit out of both of them if we're taliking sheer volume. Ampegs ratings are extremely conservative.I would highly recommend this very versatile amp.
www.everybodysx.com