Help Singing Jackalope find Mic

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
greenmofo
audio school

Help Singing Jackalope find Mic

Post by greenmofo » Wed May 14, 2003 8:27 pm

Let me first say I think TapeOp rules. I've tripled my recording knowledge just by reading the mag. But three times zero is still zero so here's my question.
I've been thinking of investing in a really great mic for my vocals. I have this fantasy of cutting vocals at home and really having the time to get great takes without watching the clock... I have liked my higher register on the soundelux U99 or 95?, lower register sounds good on a Neumann FET mic, think it was a 47 or 67? Oh, the jackalope doesn't know, he just sings...A friend has been touting a soundelux elam copy, not sure what the model# is...Anyway, my idea is to try out 4 or 5 great mics and get one that handles both low and high registers beautifully. Just looking for some makes/models that you all like so I can head down to WalMart and check 'em out.
A secondary question is am I gonna get good vocal sounds with an MBox? Do I need to get some cool vintage mic pre to make it palatable? If you wanna hear what I sound like try http://www.cdbaby.com/cmg
Gracias,
Craig
May the wind take your troubles away - Son Volt

ottokbre
deaf.

Re: Help Singing Jackalope find Mic

Post by ottokbre » Thu May 15, 2003 8:51 am

golly. those mics are auwfully top shelf. so i'll leave that be to those that really work 'em.

as far as the m-box, it will be as transparent as the glass that many a young swallows fly into. these guys don't wan't to put gobs of coloring on a pre that can't plug into anything except direct to 'pooter, which is direct to source. thats not to say it's not a product worth buying. but if you want colorful pre's, look over older posts on this board and see what people are saying. then maybe buy a box converter that has the line-ins you need and put your flava of choice pre in front of it. beat until froathy, add nutmeg to taste. serve on six inch laser optic platters. enjoy.
boobs are life's fountain

prince turbo lung
pushin' record

Post by prince turbo lung » Thu May 15, 2003 9:40 am

yes, it would be a waste to get a mic of that quality without a decent pre. i just bought my first high end vocal mic. i decided on the blue kiwi ($1500). i tried the soundelux it is good as well. try the brauner phantom c as well. also not as glamorous is a sm7 (secret weapon). but absolutely get a good preamp!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
its on like donkey kong!!!!

greenmofo
audio school

Post by greenmofo » Thu May 15, 2003 5:53 pm

Thanks fellas :D Think I just need to park it at a few different places and try some out. Was looking at those blue mics as well. Also hearing good things about a rode ntk...
May the wind take your troubles away - Son Volt

soundguy
ghost haunting audio students

Post by soundguy » Thu May 15, 2003 7:36 pm

I wouldnt advise buying a $3k mic without having a equally earth shattering mic pre to plug it into. Personally, I would get the best mic pre you can buy and get a decent mic with what is left. Amplifiers are everyhting, you know? You can take the best U47 on earth and plug it into somethign like a mackie, and you might not be so impressed, however, take an SM57 and plug it into a 1272 and you'll go WOW for sure.

If you are auditioning a tojn of mics, see if you can track down a Royer SF-1 to listen to. Its a real dark ribbon, but is one of my favorite mics for vocals. Might not be what you are looking for, but its amazing, take a listen.

The biggest vocal I ever recorded was with a Blue dragonfly deluxe, but it might not be the end all be all vocal mic, but worth taking a listen to as well.

dave

friendlybunny
pushin' record

Post by friendlybunny » Thu May 15, 2003 10:34 pm

I posted a topic a while ago asking for advice on vocal mics. I record voice over stuff for film, tv, video games, and occasionally music. I got a lot of advice and responses, but I ended up going with a mic nobody recommended; the Rode NTK.

So far it has worked perfectly for me. I've used it to record video game monster vocals, and some tv commercial voice over.

For singing, I've only used it on myself, and I sing like ass, so I can't tell if the mic sounds good or not.

I tested an at4050, sure sm7 and sm57, ev re20, neumann u87 and tlm193.

I liked the u87 the best, but I can't afford it. The NTK sounds really great in my studio.

If possible, I like to borrow mics and record them into protools for a/b purposes. I think mics can sound different in various rooms, and with different pres and monitors, so I try to test them with my own setup.

good luck jack,

-fb

greenmofo
audio school

Post by greenmofo » Sun May 18, 2003 11:31 am

Thanks, from the feedback here i'm thinking of spending more money on a pre (vintech 1272, or seventh circle audio) then going with something like the ntk, which people seem to rave about and you can't beat the price!!! If I'm not satisfied I can always save up for a neumann :shock: