Radiohead's albums all mixed to blend together ingeniously!

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
wing
on a wing and a prayer

Radiohead's albums all mixed to blend together ingeniously!

Post by wing » Thu May 15, 2003 11:50 am

Radiohead is more amazing than you know

When Thom Yorke said he wanted to be a star he meant it. After the years of hard work and careful mixing, Radiohead has prepared a most astounding work of art with the music most of you have already grown to love. Following a precise pattern, the band came up with over 40 songs of the same structure, all being able to fit into one another. How this works is simple. Just start any two CDs {be it the Bends, Kid A, OK Computer} at the exact same time and put both players on REPEAT ALL TRACKS to keep things flowing as the band intended. But you don't have to leave it at two, 3 or even 4 work at the same time, though the sound can be a bit overwhleming at times. As crazy as all this sounds, every word I speak is true. Just ask the band yourself.

from: http://www.audioscrobbler.com/modules.p ... =0&thold=0

bobbydj
on a wing and a prayer

Re: Radiohead's albums all mixed to blend together ingenious

Post by bobbydj » Thu May 15, 2003 11:57 am

I have issues with playing one Radiohead cd at the exact same time. :?
Bobby D. Jones
Producer/Engineer
(Wives with Knives, Tyrone P. Spink, Potemkin Villagers et al)

bedbug
buyin' a studio

Post by bedbug » Thu May 15, 2003 12:07 pm

From playing the Flaming Lips' Zaireeka, I've learned that no 2 CD players, even the same model off the factory floor, will never play the at the exact same speed. So how is it possible to keep things "flowing as the band intended." I'm skeptical.

wing
on a wing and a prayer

Post by wing » Thu May 15, 2003 12:11 pm

bedbug wrote:From playing the Flaming Lips' Zaireeka, I've learned that no 2 CD players, even the same model off the factory floor, will never play the at the exact same speed. So how is it possible to keep things "flowing as the band intended." I'm skeptical.
yea, that's exactly what i was thinking... but maybe if you got like really professional high end $30,000 audiophile CD players you'd be in business. :rofl:

sunny
audio school

Post by sunny » Thu May 15, 2003 12:26 pm

Neurosis did something similar with their album Times of Grace and one of the Tribes of Neurot releases. The former being more definitive songs and the latter more atmospheric soundscapes. Although I have never tried it, they are suppose to line up perfectly and psychodelicately compliment each other. Is there anything to the rumor about Pink Floyd's the Wall lining up with the Wizard of Oz?

bedbug
buyin' a studio

Post by bedbug » Thu May 15, 2003 12:51 pm

bluepxl wrote:but maybe if you got like really professional high end $30,000 audiophile CD players you'd be in business. :rofl:
Would you need a $6500 cable to go with that? :shake:

markpar
george martin

Post by markpar » Thu May 15, 2003 12:55 pm

bedbug wrote:
bluepxl wrote:but maybe if you got like really professional high end $30,000 audiophile CD players you'd be in business. :rofl:
Would you need a $6500 cable to go with that? :shake:
Since Radiohead's so low-fi :), I think the $4250 cable would be fine.

-mark

kristopher612
gettin' sounds

Post by kristopher612 » Thu May 15, 2003 1:01 pm

it's dark side of the mooon and the wizard of oz. you're supposed to start it on the 3rd lion roar at the begining of the movie. the mgm lion.

ottokbre
deaf.

Post by ottokbre » Thu May 15, 2003 1:33 pm

that thread was wonderful. ya gotta love radiohead bashers. kinda like the guy you kicked out of your band 'cus he only knew what he did'nt like but when you asked him what to do he shrugged his shoulders and took a smoke break. radiohead are the pearl jam who decided fame would not mean the end of em.
boobs are life's fountain

Sicily
pluggin' in mics

I tried the Dark Side of the Moon and Wizard of Oz thing...

Post by Sicily » Thu May 15, 2003 2:33 pm

It works for a while and it's pretty cool, but the album ends way before the movie does and that just doesn't cut it if you ask me...

levon
audio school

Post by levon » Thu May 15, 2003 5:21 pm

the Neurosis thing definatly works, as at the request of my roomates, mixed the two in cooledit (to elimanate the drift), and burnt the result to disc. I was suprised how well it worked (i being the chronic sceptic). Its really neat and sugest you try it (if you like Neurosis..) or have roomates that like hallucinogen's...
-levon

XXGABEXX
tinnitus

Post by XXGABEXX » Fri May 16, 2003 7:42 am

Hey Blue... that message board thread you posted really brings out the 'tard in me. I had trouble following all the threads and sub-thread responses. Before I got all confused and turned around reading the same posts 3 and 4 times, it was still cool reading.

-GABE

alarmo
gimme a little kick & snare

Re: I tried the Dark Side of the Moon and Wizard of Oz thing

Post by alarmo » Fri May 16, 2003 9:20 am

Sicily wrote:It works for a while and it's pretty cool, but the album ends way before the movie does and that just doesn't cut it if you ask me...
There's a theater in Austin that shows the Wizard of Oz with Dark Side of the Moon as the soundtrack every so often... they leave the record on repeat, since (supposedly) there are some other moments that line up later in the movie if you do so. Really though, it all kind of fizzles out after a certain point....

..but then again, that theater serves beer, so i don't tend to care much by that point, either. :)

ottokbre
deaf.

Post by ottokbre » Fri May 16, 2003 9:22 am

thats it, i'm movin to austin
anyone wanna take me in?
anyplace where you can have beers at a movie is alright in my book
boobs are life's fountain

tiger vomitt
dead but not forgotten

Post by tiger vomitt » Fri May 16, 2003 1:09 pm

i cant stand radiohead. they just bug me. it's ok for everyone else to dig it, i dont hate them so much that i cant even deal with outher people liking them i.e., creed :)

ummagumma (the studio side) works quite nicely sync'd up to 2001 a space oddisee how the fuck do you spell that?? brain fart

i think they actually wrote it to that movie tho, it's not a coinicdence or anything. i've read an interview with gilmour talking about it. when you see and hear it together it's pretty obvious. it seems like they only wrote part of it to match cuz they go in different directions suddenly