Pearl Jam "Binaural"

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
soundguy
ghost haunting audio students

Pearl Jam "Binaural"

Post by soundguy » Thu May 15, 2003 4:38 pm

ever since Tchad Blake came up a few days ago, I pulled out this record and its currently blowing my mind. It never really impressed me the first many many times I heard it, but for whatever reason, it clicked and Im amazed.

Has anyone spent some time with this recording? Im glad I got around to it, the last time a modern record impressed me this much was when Matt Cameron was in some other band...

Tchad Blake shares a producer credit with Pearl Jam, and mixed a few songs, which definitely stand out from the remainder of Brendan O'Brien's mixes. Comparing this to the most recent PJ which Im pretty sure was BO'B, the difference is pretty big.

Matt Cameron is really off the hook on this one, but I suppose that is not such a suprise. Eddie Vedder, holy hell, somebody slipped that guy a cool pill before these sessions or something. His phrasing on Insignificance is really crazy. The writing is spread out among the whole band, but the record really flows. Its nice to know there is at least one *BAND* out there now working as a whole and not as some extension as the front dude's ego.

Ultimately, however, this record really is a fantastic example of how to sequence a record. It starts up, does a thing, takes a turn, reaches a middle and flows to an ending. And so many of BO'B's records reflect this same pattern. The guy knows how to mix a record.

If the idea of Pearl Jam doesnt make you sick, check this record out, its really impressive for sure.

dave

@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

Re: Pearl Jam "Binaural"

Post by @?,*???&? » Thu May 15, 2003 8:21 pm

Been of fan of Brendan O'Brien for a long, long time. The Michael Penn record he did 'Resigned' is a favorite. I wonder how many people got the Prisoner (Patrick McGoohan's series in the late 60s) thing out of it. 'Superunknown' speaks for itself and the STP stuff is mostly stellar. Alot of times I gravitate toward a record and then find out who did and there are guys whose work I'll always like. Flood, Brendan, Tchad, Malcolm Burn, Ron Nevison and many others. Nevison has a great rock vision. The Candlebox disc he did 'Happy Pills'- while poorly sequenced and long on songs- sounds amazing for that type of band.

wormunit
alignin' 24-trk

Post by wormunit » Thu May 15, 2003 8:25 pm

Hey Dave,

If you dig Tchad Blake, check out Doyle Bramhall II's earlier album, "Jelly Cream". Personally I find it to be one of the best sounding albums I've ever heard.

If you happen to pick it up, please let us know what you think. This is the first time I've posted here, but I enjoy your comments and would be interested in your insights.

Devin

soundguy

Post by soundguy » Thu May 15, 2003 8:44 pm

Ive never even heard of doyle brahmall II. whats his deal?

dave

tactics
steve albini likes it

Post by tactics » Thu May 15, 2003 9:47 pm

Binaural is the only Pearl Jam album i like also.Succesive house mates played their other albums to death.Check out Matt Cameron and John Mcbain (original Monster Magnet guitarist) on The Wellwater Conspiracy albums.
cleantone wrote:
Microphone Case, Black, Plastic N/A $30.00
What is this case like? I've been thinking about getting one.

markpar
george martin

Post by markpar » Fri May 16, 2003 12:23 am

Dave,

If you can, you should check out this album on vinyl. It sounds freakin' fantastic. Binaural is probably my second favorite PJ album (No Code is definitley my fave).

The most recent PJ album is Brendan O'Brien mixing and Adam Kasper producing.

I have a theory that Pearl Jam is a "Track 2" band. Check out any album and track #2 is always a killer.

I actually met Mike McCready tonight and besides being a really good guitarist (to put it mildly) he's a super nice guy. He handed me his camera during soundcheck and asked me to take some pics. Very cool.

-mark

supafuzz
carpal tunnel

Post by supafuzz » Fri May 16, 2003 4:51 am

hey dave
Doyle Bramhall II is son of Doyle Bramhall I friend of and co-writer for some of stevie ray vaughn's later stuff [tightrope/crossfire]
from In Step

His record while sounding great is not that impressive songwise..
He's from that Texas school of loud rock guitars but he's not a blues type dude..
he's played with clapton & bb king [riding with the king..clapton covered one of his songs... he was with the fab thunderbirds ..played with cheryl crow]
that's all :twisted:

jessejamietig
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by jessejamietig » Fri May 16, 2003 6:34 am

Mark,

Thanks for admitting that "No Code" is a great record. I remember when that thing came out, everyone I talked to said it was a huge piece of crap.

I think it is the best Pearl Jam record to date. I think song #5 "Smile" has the meanest sounding snare that I've ever heard on a record. But it also has some of the best drum sounds of all time. Studio Litho must be quite a place.

wormunit
alignin' 24-trk

Post by wormunit » Fri May 16, 2003 7:29 am

I'd agree that the songwriting on Bramhall's most recent album is sub par, but I thought most of the songs on Jelly Cream were great.

Devin

soundguy

Post by soundguy » Fri May 16, 2003 8:37 am

I totally couldnt get into the drummer on No Code. I think this new record is the first time that band ever had a drummer consistently for two records. Good choice in matt cameron... the new record is totally lackluster to me, but sounds great. Pretty much the same reaction I had to binaural when I first bought it. Maybe in three years, I'll see the light... The LP's of binaural do in fact sound incredible.

dave