College radio near you

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
Kyle
steve albini likes it

Re: College radio near you

Post by Kyle » Wed Sep 17, 2003 8:36 am

KWVA Eugene OR
KLCC Portland OR
and alwasy KEXP Seattle
Kyle

durasoundrecordingco
steve albini likes it

Post by durasoundrecordingco » Wed Sep 17, 2003 8:46 am

KAOS - Evergreen State College, Olympia.

KGRG - Green River Community College. You probably won't get it outside of Auburn.

KEXP - Still the best around, but I feel it has gone downhill a bit beginning in the late KCMU days.
"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch,
you must first invent the universe...thank you very much."
Carl Sagan - Genius

nomovingparts - "scientist space rock"

kayagum
ghost haunting audio students

Post by kayagum » Wed Sep 17, 2003 9:38 am

In addition to RadioK (University of Minnesota- Twin Cities)- KUMD (University of Minnesota- Duluth). Whenever I go to the North Shore, I realize that they are listening to better music (overall) than when I'm living in the Twin Cities.

Both have webstreams: http://radiok.org and http://kumd.org

toothpastefordinner
buyin' a studio

Post by toothpastefordinner » Wed Sep 17, 2003 9:44 am

North of Cincinnati, there's WOXY, which is "97x"... they play a lot of "mainstream indie" stuff like GBV, radiohead, modest mouse, etc. etc. and a little bit of alt-country, as I remember... I think it's celebrated in Cincinnati just for the sheer lack of culture there otherwise, though, as I never particularly liked it.

kayagum- Kompressor actually does a shout-out to KUMD on a track on his latest album... One of the DJs there helped tremendously with getting him/them some local promotion.

drew
toothpastefordinner.com

sthslvrcnfsn
steve albini likes it

Post by sthslvrcnfsn » Wed Sep 17, 2003 3:14 pm

88.3 WAIF in Cinci just got rid of the show "Art Damage", and I was a little young when it had it's hayday years ago. I did go to the "Art Damage Benefit" in cinci a few weeks ago, donations, drinking, and 35 bands playing one song each - a cover of the stupidest one-hit wonder songs ever. It was fun. They also have a decent dub-reggae-dancehall rap show, and a good surf guitar show.

97.7 WOXY says they are from cinci, but they are actually from oxford, where i am. A lot of it is mainstream indie, but that kind of background noise is MUCH better than creed/celene dion/nickelback/brittany spears backgrounf music. They have a pretty cool local show, and some other good specialty slots on weeknights. Rolling Stone rated it the #1 independant radio station in the country a few months ago.

sorry that neither of these are college stations. I live in a purely college town, and that's all we get really. our college station lost its FM license years ago, and so broadcasts over some channels if you get the university cable tv. very shitty.

jim

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Wed Sep 17, 2003 3:27 pm

my fav here inthe tri state area is 91.1 wfmu in New Jersey. very diverse.

aurelialuz
dead but not forgotten

Post by aurelialuz » Wed Sep 17, 2003 3:53 pm

Kyle wrote: KLCC Portland OR
????????
am? or just the OLCC's radio station?

alex
"While every effort has been made to ensure optimum sound quality, priority has been given to historic content and importance."

No Wave Casio Kitsch
re-cappin' neve

Post by No Wave Casio Kitsch » Wed Sep 17, 2003 4:44 pm

sthslvrcnfsn wrote:88.3 WAIF in Cinci just got rid of the show "Art Damage", and I was a little young when it had it's hayday years ago. I did go to the "Art Damage Benefit" in cinci a few weeks ago, donations, drinking, and 35 bands playing one song each - a cover of the stupidest one-hit wonder songs ever. It was fun. They also have a decent dub-reggae-dancehall rap show, and a good surf guitar show.

jim
Oh no! That was the best show they had. Sad. They do have some other good shows, though. I don't recall the name of it, but I know they had one show that featured local bands (and perhaps touring bands on their way through town). They'd play a few songs in the studio and do an interview. Pretty cool. I always wanted to do a show on WAIF, but I never got off my lazy ass and did it. Ahh well...

-Giahni
Who cares what it sounds like soloed?

Freelance Recording/Production
Assistant Studio Manager - ShangriLA Studios

No Wave Casio Kitsch
re-cappin' neve

Post by No Wave Casio Kitsch » Wed Sep 17, 2003 4:50 pm

cman548 wrote:yes, WLUW in CHICAGO 88.7 on the north side. The funding and management was passed from Loyola to another station, because Loyola couldn't pay for it. I went to Loyola BTW.
Word on the street is that they agreed to not make any changes at the station (same staff, format, etc.) until the current Station Manager leaves. After that it's anybody's guess as to what will happen, but (*knock on wood*) hopefully it will still be cool. I don't listen to radio often at all. When I do I generally listen to the classical station.

-Giahni
Who cares what it sounds like soloed?

Freelance Recording/Production
Assistant Studio Manager - ShangriLA Studios

penelec
steve albini likes it

Post by penelec » Wed Sep 17, 2003 5:52 pm

I second the WFMU shoutout in Jersey. WNYU's afternoon show can be pretty good (4 PM to 7 is the New Afternoon Show). BPO in Newark isn'tindie/alty, just the best jazz ever.

WXYC in N. Carolina would always making my happy, too.

gabewheel2000
pushin' record

Post by gabewheel2000 » Wed Sep 17, 2003 9:21 pm

Jeff Robinson wrote:Any noteworthy college alternative radio near you guys playing music that moves you on a regular basis?
in san diego, there's a friggin' great Pirate Radio station

they have it streaming for those of you not in south park

http://www.pirate969.org/

psychicoctopus
buyin' a studio

Post by psychicoctopus » Thu Sep 18, 2003 1:38 am

Kyle wrote:KWVA Eugene OR
Ha! I loved KWVA when I lived in Eugene. They had awesome specialty shows. Most of the freeform shows were by student DJ's, but the specialty shows were by adult vinyl addicts. A good combination. I still dig up my old KWVA mix tapes for enjoyment...

I blame KWVA for giving me the college radio 'bug'. Now I work at KVRX 91.7 Austin. Super cool station as well.

uqbar
steve albini likes it

Post by uqbar » Thu Sep 18, 2003 7:39 am

penelec wrote:I second the WFMU shoutout in Jersey.
Anyone know if Monica Lynch (prez of Tommy Boy and the highest ranking woman in the music industry) is still on staff there?

mark

Red Rockets Glare
tinnitus

Post by Red Rockets Glare » Thu Sep 18, 2003 8:44 am

KXLU is rocking the city of Los Angeles,
You can listen on-line at www.kxlu.com

apropos of nothing
dead but not forgotten

Post by apropos of nothing » Thu Sep 18, 2003 11:39 am

Here in the Triangle, NC area, we're blessed with awesome college radio in the form of WXYC, WSHA, WXDU and WKNC.

WKNC 88.1 out of Raleigh is ALL HARD, ALL THE TIME. Doesn't matter what flavor of music they're playing -- could be hip-hop, techno, D&B, metal, indy, what have you. They only play the LOUD tracks. Heheh.
http://wknc.org/

WXDU 88.7 is a variety station. They go genre-flitting. They're a little more staid than WKNC and WXYC, though
http://www.wxdu.org/

There's also WSHA, 88.9 "Where jazz lives". And they do a pretty decent sampling of that field. They also have some specialty shows on weekends.
http://www.wshafm.org/

My fave is really WXYC 89.3. They're so weird. They'll be playing field-hollars one minute and UK garage the next, followed by some ragas, and then some Black Sabbath. Awesome. (In the interest of full disclosure, I do work for UNC Chapel Hill, though not for the station.)
http://wxyc.org/

Between the four of them, there's always something worth listening to on the radio. Hell, if I just had WXYC I'd be a happy camper.

Before I moved to Chapel Hill I lived in Minneapolis. Couldn't stand listening to Radio-K. Give me KFAI, KMOJ or KBEM any weekday.
The weekend is a different matter though -- Radio K's specialty weekend block programming is AWESOME.