College radio near you

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

College radio near you

Post by @?,*???&? » Tue Sep 16, 2003 6:47 pm

Any noteworthy college alternative radio near you guys playing music that moves you on a regular basis?

wing
on a wing and a prayer

Re: College radio near you

Post by wing » Tue Sep 16, 2003 6:54 pm

91.7 fm ktru in houston (rice university's rice radio) used to really move me on a regular basis... i don't listen much these days, and when i do, it's not the same anymore. but still probably better than the rest of the crap on the radio.
Last edited by wing on Tue Sep 16, 2003 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Shawn Simmons
buyin' a studio

Post by Shawn Simmons » Tue Sep 16, 2003 6:54 pm

The ONLY radio station worth listening to in Seattle, IMHO, is KEXP. It's the local collage radio station that has been getting funding from The Experience Music Project (read Paul Allen). They are the ONLY station that isn't stuck in Clear Channel/Creed/Limp Biscuit hell. They actually let their DJ's play what they want. Amazing isn't it?

Why do you ask?

Shawn

@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

Post by @?,*???&? » Tue Sep 16, 2003 6:59 pm

Because College Radio is a really, really diverse medium. It can help spread alot of really, really cool music and ideas. KCRW was great when Chris Douridas was doing their 'morning becomes eclectic' program. His personal taste in musical was impeccable. Did anyone see his cameo in that film 'Strange days'?

ahmedgarcia
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by ahmedgarcia » Tue Sep 16, 2003 9:10 pm

KVRX 91.7 Austin Texas

DUC
buyin' a studio

Post by DUC » Tue Sep 16, 2003 9:34 pm

KBHR

Cicely, Alaska

I wish they had college format radio stations with adult DJs. Too many hipsters, not enough genuine dorks.
Vocals, vocals, vocals!

SirDonut
gettin' sounds

Post by SirDonut » Tue Sep 16, 2003 10:01 pm

ahmedgarcia wrote:KVRX 91.7 Austin Texas
yay! I got the recording bug by runnin' Local Live at KVRX on Sunday nights. Didn't get me a job in the long run, but I got to meet and record a lot of cool artists (and also learned some serious guerilla techniques.) :mrgreen:

wardshorsehead
buyin' gear

Post by wardshorsehead » Tue Sep 16, 2003 11:48 pm

770am Radio K in the Twin Cites. While much of the programming is typical indie pop fare, there is a cool show on Saturdays that features samplists/sound collage/looping called some assembly required.

frank

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Tue Sep 16, 2003 11:56 pm

WNCW in Spindale, NC. Fantastic station! Very grassroots and they have an all Zappa show once a week called "Frank on Fridays." There's a really great staion in Cincinnati, too, but I can't remeber the station.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

djslayerissick
buyin' gear

Post by djslayerissick » Wed Sep 17, 2003 12:18 am

KSCR at Univ. of SoCal

http://www.kscrradio.com/

No Wave Casio Kitsch
re-cappin' neve

Post by No Wave Casio Kitsch » Wed Sep 17, 2003 2:18 am

cgarges wrote: There's a really great staion in Cincinnati, too, but I can't remeber the station.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC
88.3 WAIF. Great station in Cincinnati. Has a terrific late nite program called "Art Damage." Many other good shows there, too.

In Chicago, up by where I live anyway, I get Loyola's station (88.7 WLUW...which isn't really Loyola's anymore) and it's pretty dam'n cool. Northwestern's (89.3 WNUR) is somewhat decent. On a good day I can get Northeastern's (88.3 WZRD), as well, which is about on par with Northwestern's. There are a buttload of others...University of Illinois - Chicago, Depaul, Illinois Institute of Technology, University of Chicago, Columbia College. I haven't listened to any of those and I probably couldn't tune in to most as they've all got a pretty small broadcast range, but I'm sure they have some redeeming qualities. The School of the Art Institute of Chicago also has its own station--webstream only.

-Giahni
Who cares what it sounds like soloed?

Freelance Recording/Production
Assistant Studio Manager - ShangriLA Studios

wing
on a wing and a prayer

Post by wing » Wed Sep 17, 2003 3:41 am

DUC wrote:KBHR

Cicely, Alaska
hahaha, from northern exposure? good one. but i don't think it was college radio, was it?
I wish they had college format radio stations with adult DJs. Too many hipsters, not enough genuine dorks.
man, i hear that.

Electricide
dead but not forgotten

Post by Electricide » Wed Sep 17, 2003 6:30 am

yes, WLUW in CHICAGO 88.7 on the north side. The funding and management was passed from Loyola to another station, because Loyola couldn't pay for it. I went to Loyola BTW.

Local, indie, bands in the studio, lots of community activities and co-sponsorships, and cultural alternative prgramming on weekends. Check out Radio Free Chicago on Thursdays 6-10pm.

www.shoutcast.com search for wluw

joeysimms
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by joeysimms » Wed Sep 17, 2003 6:43 am

KCRW was great when Chris Douridas was doing their 'morning becomes eclectic' program. His personal taste in musical was impeccable.
Ugghhh, was that before or after he started doing a & r and hyping the shit he was responsible for? Morning becomes pathetic..

KXLU has always done it right as far as music. KCRW is a little too "west side", a little "alternative in my latte", and not at all a true public college radio station.

uqbar
steve albini likes it

Post by uqbar » Wed Sep 17, 2003 8:28 am

I've a huge fan of WZRD 88.3 in Chicago - they have some great freeform programing. We get it fine in Logan Square.

Also WNUR Chicago is way cool, if only because they have a HUGE broadcast range and still play great music. They easily have the highest wattage of any college station I know (7,200 watts).

In Ann Arbor WCBN is still pretty damn cool...

mark