Mics: AT4050 vs. MXL V69 Mogami

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
altoidboy
alignin' 24-trk

Mics: AT4050 vs. MXL V69 Mogami

Post by altoidboy » Thu Sep 18, 2003 7:26 pm

I've been using an AT4050 as my all-purpose mic for quite a while and have always enjoyed its versatility and quality.

Yesterday I added an MXL V69 Mogami Edition mic to my collection, and decided to do my vocal tracking with both mics so I could A/B them directly.

I was really surprised to find that I liked the AT4050 all-around much better. It was more detailed, more clear, more present. The V69 was just a little thicker, woolier, but ever so slightly. (The V69 also had a very high-pitched noise going on. Haven't gotten to the bottom of that yet.) It made me think: I didn't need to spend all that money on this mic; I could have used my 4050, applied the tiniest bit of EQ (or warm compression) and the 4050 would be the V69. At least that's what it sounded like to me. Am I just being thick?

They're both great mics, no question. But I wonder whether this was money well spent. Anyone with experience on (preferably both but) either of these mics care to corroborate?

Auxillary
buyin' gear

Re: Mics: AT4050 vs. MXL V69 Mogami

Post by Auxillary » Thu Sep 18, 2003 8:07 pm

If they sound different, it was money well spent. Never know what you will need someday.
kids make electric guitars

www.geocities.com/ubertar/kids

tiger vomitt
dead but not forgotten

Post by tiger vomitt » Fri Sep 19, 2003 9:52 am

hi David!

IIRC the v69 is tube, right? the whine might be a microphonic tube, in which case just replace it and you'll be good to go.

i recently was very close to getting a v69me. i ended up going for a groove tubes gt-55, which io love so far. i heard the 4050 on listeningsessions.com and thought it sounded awesome. not much info there, im just rambling :) thick and wooly sounds like a good thing tho! one day it that mic will totally rock a session for you and you'll be glad you've got it.

ive noticed that a lot of times the difference in mics of similar style (like large dia condensers) is kind of hard to notice until the whole mix is finished. THEN the difference really shines thru.

this is especially true with mic pres. like i'll A/B 2 pres during tracking and hear a little bit of x or y is different from the other pre. but it's not until ive worked on the mix for a while that i really start to notice what the qualities of that particular mic pre are.

peace

evan sobel

rauri76
takin' a dinner break

Post by rauri76 » Sun Sep 21, 2003 8:04 pm

Don't know anythin' about the AT but I know some people are very happy w/ the V69 on acoustic guitar. A studio I sometimes work at AB'ed mine with an AKG 414. The owner jumped online and bought one immediately. They use it on all acoustic guitar work now.

Piotr
tinnitus

Post by Piotr » Sun Sep 21, 2003 8:19 pm

No Kidding!

Can't hurt to have one more great sounding mic laying around...
Yours,

Piotr

piotr@thebarkmarket.com

----------------------
Id quod visum plocet

Thomas Aquinas