Bundlemania

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

Bundlemania

Post by @?,*???&? » Fri Sep 19, 2003 6:02 am

Any of you guys with Digi 001/Pro Tools LE just get the 'Bundlemania' package?

For $99 you get Plugins- Amplitube, T-Racks EQ, Sampletank SE and programs Reason Adapted and Ableton Live.

I only installed the plugins thus far the the T-Racks EQ is smooth, haven't A/B'd with any others yet. The Amplitube I had as a crack, so I'm now running a legit version of that. I find it much more guitar oriented than the Sansamp can be at times.

What should I expect Sampletank to do?

wendy f
ass engineer

Re: Bundlemania

Post by wendy f » Fri Sep 19, 2003 8:15 am

aren't they lite versions of reason and ableton? i was tempted by the offer but concerned that it would be more like a demo package. . .

moogrocker
gettin' sounds

Post by moogrocker » Fri Sep 19, 2003 9:25 am

I bought the package too for my HD system since I didn't have any sampling toys I thought it would be a good Idea. I guess the first downside is that it took me like 3 hours to register everything. I went well out of my way to make sure I didn't have an internet connection on my pro tools computer to make sure I wouldn't corrupt anything, and they made you register everything online before you could use it. I still don't have an midi controllors so I couldn't use any of the sampling stuff, even though I thought you wouldn't need one for sample tank since it opens in RTAS (there is no fine print in the promotion that tells you you need extra hardware to run the programs). The T-racks eq, as compared to D2, was super digital sounding and very abrasive, not really my cup of tea. I tried the Amplitude out on guitar and it instantly made my Marshall sound like a Crate, but on a higher note Amplitude worked out great for wierd vocal effects. Great way to distort vocals with lots of control on the sound.

As a whole I guess I would give the bundle a thumbs down but I had a client come in the other day who brought in some tracks as Reason files, and if I didn't have the program I wouldn't have been able to open it and the session would have been a bust. So if I look at it that way it was a good package to pick up for the price even if it will only see minimal use.

John

tiger vomitt
dead but not forgotten

Post by tiger vomitt » Fri Sep 19, 2003 9:29 am

it's worth it just to get amplitube for $99. i think it goes for about $400 usually. very usable fx for everything, not just gtr

saag paneer
alignin' 24-trk

Post by saag paneer » Fri Sep 19, 2003 10:30 am

according to the website it's not Amplitube but 'Amplitube LE.' anyone know what features are missing/modified?

ahmedgarcia
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by ahmedgarcia » Fri Sep 19, 2003 11:33 am

we are going to get the package here next week. It reads that you can upgrade to the full versions at a discount later on down the line.

endofanera
gettin' sounds

Post by endofanera » Mon Sep 22, 2003 8:45 pm

Okay, I've looked at the Digidesign site and the online store there, and I've seen no mention of this Bundlemania package. Mebbe someone can offer a little help, a link, etc?
"You get a kink in your neck looking up at people or down at people. But when you look straight across, there's no kinks."
--Mike Watt

blacklodge ed
audio school graduate

Post by blacklodge ed » Mon Sep 22, 2003 11:12 pm

it is not worth it. it is a demo package. everything is so stripped down that it's barely usable. the t-racks only has the eq part. amplitube is only the amp part. and live won't even run through protools. oh, and good luck registering the stuff. after 2 weeks, i still haven't gotten everything registered. and to add insult to injury, the upgrade prices are terrible. i'm very dissapointed that i bought it. digidesign really is the devil.

saag paneer
alignin' 24-trk

Post by saag paneer » Tue Sep 23, 2003 12:14 am

blacklodge ed wrote:live won't even run through protools.
wow -- that's a stupid-ass move....

are you using PT6.1? that's the one that supports Rewire....

it's just hard to believe they'd release a demo package that doesn't demo the way the products work together ... although god knows it's possible.

blacklodge ed
audio school graduate

Post by blacklodge ed » Thu Sep 25, 2003 9:06 pm

i am running 6.1 and use rewire every day. the catch is that to use the rewire support, you have to buy the 'upgrade' for $99.

puffpastry
pushin' record

Post by puffpastry » Thu Sep 25, 2003 9:55 pm

Is that you Ed Rose?

@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

Post by @?,*???&? » Fri Sep 26, 2003 5:19 pm

moogrocker wrote:The T-racks eq, as compared to D2, was super digital sounding and very abrasive, not really my cup of tea.
I'd wholly disagree with this statement.

In A/B-ing with the stock Digi EQ, MCDSP Filterbank, Channelstrip and the Bombfactory Pultec EQP1A, I say it compares favourably to the Pultec, but with with more specific and non-broadband eq.

Channelstrip by the way, while good, immediately changes the sound whenever plugged in, in bypass. Not appealing. The stock Digi plugin does the same thing. The MCDSP Filterbank is the clearest of the bunch.

@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

Post by @?,*???&? » Fri Sep 26, 2003 7:38 pm

Forgot to mention, I also compared the T-Racks EQ plugin with the Renaissance EQ and the Joe Meek Mequalizer as well. The Mequalizer had that beefy character immediately when inserted which gave it a bias and the Renaissance was just as objective as the T-Racks was when inserted.

Out of curiosity, which plugins did you A/B with John (aka moogrocker)?

blacklodge ed
audio school graduate

Post by blacklodge ed » Sat Sep 27, 2003 11:04 pm

maybe. you're not a cop, are you?

moogrocker
gettin' sounds

Post by moogrocker » Sun Sep 28, 2003 10:57 am

Out of curiosity, which plugins did you A/B with John (aka moogrocker)?
Jeff,

The only one I a/b'ed it with was Focusrite D2, which is usually the only digital EQ I use. Granted I didn't test them very extensivly but right when I pulled up a peak it sounded really digital. Of course this was after I was already frustrated spending all that time registering it, maybe its worth another test...

John