how do you say UREI?

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
tiger vomitt
dead but not forgotten

Re: how do you say UREI?

Post by tiger vomitt » Sun Sep 21, 2003 3:56 pm

people mess up music words ALL the time! like vibrato or octave. i heard beyonce on the mtv the other day pronounce vibrato wrong. kinda tough to argue with it tho..

Al
moves faders with mind

Post by Al » Sun Sep 21, 2003 4:32 pm

Rodgre wrote:okay, so tell us!

Is is LANG-A-VIN, or LANJ-IH-VIN?

Also, I've never heard Neve pronounced other than NEEEEEVE.

Roger
The later,with the G accented as in orange. And Neve is pronounced Neev and Senheiser is Sen NOT San.

Al

stevemoss
alignin' 24-trk

Post by stevemoss » Sun Sep 21, 2003 4:36 pm

UREI I always assumed was pronounced as one would say "You're a (insert adjective here)", with a long a sound.

For Oktava, start with "octave" as if said by someone (other than Sean Connery) doing a Russian accent - ohk-tah-vah.

A.L.
buyin' a studio

Post by A.L. » Sun Sep 21, 2003 4:44 pm

This is a little off, but after a childhood of relentless fishing (all I ever did, practically) I still often slip and say bass (the fish) instead of bass (base, music). I can't help it. When I see "bass" in print my brain thinks bass not base, geez. It's terrible. Yeah, Neumann. It changed my life when I realized Neu=Noy.

Randy
tinnitus

Post by Randy » Sun Sep 21, 2003 7:03 pm

I heard it pronounced like "yer-ay" by an old-school radio engineer and by a couple of techs.
not to worry, just keep tracking....

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Sun Sep 21, 2003 7:13 pm

And the Paiste family pronounces their cymbal moniker as "Pie-stee." Another good one. Yes, I have heard the Russian mics are called "ok-TAH-vuhz." I might get into calling my favorite compressors "dis-TRUSS-sores" though, just for the helluvit.

Chris Gargesq (that's "GAR-jess" with a silent "q")
Charlotte, NC

wing
on a wing and a prayer

Post by wing » Mon Sep 22, 2003 11:15 am

Rodgre wrote:Yes, it is MOHG, like Andy Moog, the hockey player.

I have pronounced it that way for years, and then when the Moogerfooger pedals came out, it started to sound funny saying "mohger-fohger"

I still say it that way, even if my friends laugh at me.
yea me too, and i find them always trying to correct me. "no, it's MEWG!! duh!"

my last name is WING, pronounced just like you would the word wing as in a bird or airplane. but when my ancestors first came to america from denmark or some place like that, they spelled the name WYNGE, but as far as my research goes, it was still pronounced wing. naturally, everyone was screwing it up and saying whynj or win-je or wainj or however you would probably read it too. so in the 17th century or so they got sick of it and changed it to WING so everyone would get it right. at one time i considered changing my last name back just for fun, or using it that way on albums... but in any event, i do like my last name. wing. it's just kinda neat.

wing
on a wing and a prayer

Post by wing » Mon Sep 22, 2003 11:24 am

tiger vomitt wrote:people mess up music words ALL the time! like vibrato or octave. i heard beyonce on the mtv the other day pronounce vibrato wrong. kinda tough to argue with it tho..
how did she say it, and how are you supposed to? i've always said it as the way i've always heard it, according to this: http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/audio.pl?9vi ... av=vibrato

edanderson
gettin' sounds

Post by edanderson » Mon Sep 22, 2003 11:58 am

i've always figured that since UREI was a contraction of U-nited Re-cording I-nc. it would be pronounced "yew-ree" as in yewniversal reecording.

ed

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Mon Sep 22, 2003 4:54 pm

All this brings me to the #1 mispronounced music term, in my experience: timbre. It's supposed to be pronounced TAM-burr, but most folks say it as if they're felling a tree. Heard it as TIM-burr on NPR just the other day, in fact. Drives me batshit.

Then, too, when I was in high school I referred to the King Crimson song "Matte Kudasai" as "Matt Koo-DA-see." When my friend laughed and pointed out that not only is it pronounced MAH-tay KOO-deh-sigh, but that the words are sung out loud in the song so I could have just listened to Adrian Belew's pronunciation in the first place, I was dreafully embarassed and remain so to this day--which is why I'm describing such a humiliating experience on a public posting board. :roll:
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

Auxillary
buyin' gear

Post by Auxillary » Mon Sep 22, 2003 5:05 pm

TIM-ber is a correct pronunciation. Tam-bur is listed in 3 dictionaries Ive checked as an alternate pronunciation.
kids make electric guitars

www.geocities.com/ubertar/kids

tiger vomitt
dead but not forgotten

Post by tiger vomitt » Mon Sep 22, 2003 5:59 pm

bluepxl wrote:how did she say it, and how are you supposed to? i've always said it as the way i've always heard it, according to this: http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/audio.pl?9vi ... av=vibrato
she said "vie-BRAH-toe," sounding like "pie-BRAH-toe." fair enuf, i thought. ive said it like the wav file too, since my first guitar teacher corrected me back in 10th grade. he also fixed me on octave - i used to say ock-tayve

wing
on a wing and a prayer

Post by wing » Thu Nov 18, 2004 9:44 pm

Sabian = SAY-BEE-EHN or SAH-BEE-AHN?

Helios = HEE-LEE-OHS or HELL-EE-OHS?

nacho459
re-cappin' neve

Post by nacho459 » Fri Nov 19, 2004 1:10 am

I always thought (heard) it as ASS-TROOD ZHIL-BEAR-TOE and Joao as ZH(OW)

ubertar
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by ubertar » Fri Nov 19, 2004 5:12 am

Rodgre wrote:
D'addario (I've called them DUH-DARIO for years, and it seems most people are calling them DEE-UH-DARIO)
You are correct. It's on their website.