tough nite

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
swingdoc
tinnitus

tough nite

Post by swingdoc » Sat May 17, 2003 10:03 am

The road can be tough place. Expensive evening. Last night, first song, my "new" Gibson goldtone GA15 blows up. First night Ive never brought a back up amp. Then our Trombonist's (very uniques customized 30 y.o.) bone fell over and totally whacks it. Man it was a struggle to just get through the nite.
If I hear a singer say, "Mark, I need just a little more monitor"....Im gonna throw a broken guitar amp at him.
Just venting

inverseroom
on a wing and a prayer

Re: tough nite

Post by inverseroom » Sat May 17, 2003 11:55 am

When I was in college, the band I was in played at a fraternity party, as a last-minute replacement for the shitty cover band who had originally scheduled, and then cancelled. Little did we know that this was the fraternity that had been the research subject of the book "Fraternity Gang Rape." An hour and a half into the set some "brothers" came down the stairwell behind us, NAKED, stood on the landing, and URINATED ON US.

Oh NO! our drummer shouted, in his Minnesota accent. They're PEEING!

We finished the gig, though, and collected our money. The rock must not die.

--John.

bobbydj
on a wing and a prayer

Post by bobbydj » Sat May 17, 2003 12:06 pm

And here I was trying desparately to forget about the time our driver drove the hire-van into an underground car-park in Cologne. 'Uhm, hey - what's that disasterous scraping sound eminating from the roof everyone?!' 'Err - dunno - could it be that we just exceeded the max-height restriction?'

Fuckety-foo.
Bobby D. Jones
Producer/Engineer
(Wives with Knives, Tyrone P. Spink, Potemkin Villagers et al)

black mariah
buyin' gear

Post by black mariah » Sat May 17, 2003 12:55 pm

I don't care how big the dude is, how many prison tattoos he has, or how many people he's brutally murdered, if someone pisses on me it will be the LAST MOTHERF**KING THING THEY EVER DO WITH THEIR PENIS ATTACHED TO THEIR BODY. :twisted:

But I'm suddenly reminded of soundchecks with the drummer in my former band. I swear that this guy and the drummer from the Mixerman stuff is the same dude, he's that f**king stupid. He never got the hang of soundchecks, so they ALL went like this...

Soundguy: "Okay, gimme some kick."
Drummer: "Huh?"
Soundguy: "Some kick. Gimme som kick."
Drummer: "Oh, okay. *THUMP*"
Soundguy: "Some more, please."
Drummer: *THUMP*
Soundguy: "Okay, just keep doing it until I tell you to stop."
Drummer: "Huh?"
Soundguy: "THE KICK DRUM! KEEP HITTIN THE KICK DRUM!"
Drummer: "Now?"
Soundguy: "YES!"
Drummer: *THUMP*
Soundguy: "No funeral." *SOUND OF SHOTGUN BLAST TO OWN FOREHEAD*

Then there was the time that this dumbass refused to let anyone help set up his kit, then he tried to TELL the sound guy to help set up his shit. WHAT THE F**K?!?!?!?! Total moron.
Heurh!

Randy
tinnitus

Speaking of pee ...

Post by Randy » Sat May 17, 2003 6:33 pm

We used to play regularly at this college party house. The bands played in the basement and the plumbing often backed up because there were so many people using in the bathroom. People got so used to it that there was a wall in the basement that guys would just pee on. You could never really smell it because there was so much smoke and vomit and there were so many people there. The people in the know didn't stand in the puddles.

we were literally playing in a toilet.

friendlybunny
pushin' record

Post by friendlybunny » Sat May 17, 2003 10:53 pm

we were literally playing in a toilet.
That sounds like the Satyricon stage in Portland. That stage is shag carpeted(!) and I swear is full of piss/vomit.

(I'm not from Portland, just soiled all of my gear there on tour)

Speaking of touring... The most expensive gear to break down...

THE VAN :shock:

There goes all our gig money, thanks!

bobbydj
on a wing and a prayer

Post by bobbydj » Sat May 17, 2003 11:22 pm

Speaking of touring - the most LIKELY thing to break down: the van. :cry:
Bobby D. Jones
Producer/Engineer
(Wives with Knives, Tyrone P. Spink, Potemkin Villagers et al)

thunderboy
buyin' a studio

Post by thunderboy » Sat May 17, 2003 11:27 pm

Too true - seems like every other band I work with (and I work with 2-5 every night) just dumped all of their profits back into their van. Maybe I don't miss the road as much as I thought...

jt
"most toreadors worth a damn are circumcized."
- Discs of Tron

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Sun May 18, 2003 2:18 am

HAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!!!!

HAHAHAHAH

HA
AHhooe;fh;bjdvf

:rofl:

biasvoltage
steve albini likes it

Re: Frat Parties

Post by biasvoltage » Sun May 18, 2003 10:19 am

Here's a trick I used to pull with bands at Frat Parties at FSU about 10 years ago... we'd book a show at a frat with a guarantee of whatever, say 300 bucks. Setup and play for 15 minutes. Have a friend call the cops from a payphone down the street. Get our guarantee and go drink elsewhere. Works like a charm and we never got caught.

My best hell-gig was when a ska band I was playing Vox organ in booked the St. Patrick's day party at the local TGI McBennigans's. We even went down to the restaruant two weeks ahead of time and signed some paperwork, we'd play for 3 hours, the restaurant would provide a stage with sound system consisting of at least 16 ch mixer, 1000w FOH amplification and speakers, 5 stage monitors, yadda yadda sm57's and all that, and oh yeah, someone to run the thing, lighting blah blah, we'd get $1000. OK we show up to the show, there's a DJ from the local crap rock station set up inside with two little 15" two ways on stands in the parking lot. That's it. An irate exchange between our singer/leader and the mafioso restaurant manager winds up with us piecing together a PA on our own. NO lighting, no sound engineer (guess who pulls double duty). We actually manage to get it all together in time for our show, but the DJ won't turn off his outside speakers. So I stole them (temporarily) to augment our crappy PA. Right before the first song, one of them falls over onto my Vox Jaguar, knocking hte beers on it into the keyboard. Well, looks like I have some spare time to run the PA now. We wound up making like $100 in tips and getting stiffed by the restaurant. My roomate who worked there and got us the gig in the first place stole a couple of boxes of steaks so we had a nice band BBQ the next day.

cv

wayne kerr
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by wayne kerr » Sun May 18, 2003 11:25 am

inverseroom wrote:
Hey what band were you in? This was MPLS? I think I heard this story... which frat?

E
The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
-Hunter S. Thompson

inverseroom
on a wing and a prayer

Post by inverseroom » Mon May 19, 2003 5:37 pm

Nah, it wasn't Minneapolis, it was Philadelphia. The band was called Wicked Bison and the drummer was a guy named Kent Mortimer, who is really a FANTASTIC drummer and is presently back in MPLS in a band called 13 Hertz.

A friend of mine, the bass player of the band, Brian O'Keefe, now lives in New York, and he was telling this story in a bar or at a party or something, and somebody said to him, Oh my God, I was at that frat party! You were in Wicked Bison!!! I later met the guy and got to reminisce about that fateful night.

It's funny, I wanted to quit, say fuck the whole thing, but the rest of the band insisted on finishing out the gig. On our way out they pissed on us again from the fire escape. But they did pay us. Being as all their dads were corporate CEOs and all.

John.

BTW, I don't remember the name of the frat. I think it was some Greek letters or something :wink: