The Bee Gees

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
Meriphew
deaf.

The Bee Gees

Post by Meriphew » Tue Sep 23, 2003 9:31 pm

Inspired by someone else's post. Anyone else dig the Bee Gees? Those guys are the best.

Rodgre
carpal tunnel

Re: The Bee Gees

Post by Rodgre » Tue Sep 23, 2003 9:33 pm

simply, yes.

A pretty underrated group, if you ask me.

Roger

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Tue Sep 23, 2003 10:16 pm

I had two good friends playing with them during the last seven or eight years. Steve Rucker, drummer, and Matt Bonelli, bass player. Apparently the brothers Gibb were (and are, I suppose) very nice, very professional guys, especially given their long period of stardom from an early age. Talented bunch of dudes in that family, I tell ya. The early stuff is really intersting if you haven't heard it.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

aurelialuz
dead but not forgotten

Post by aurelialuz » Wed Sep 24, 2003 7:55 am

cgarges wrote:Apparently the brothers Gibb were (and are, I suppose) very nice, very professional guys, especially given their long period of stardom from an early age.
that's cool to hear. they seem really cool, it's cool to know it's true.

i've been on a major bee gees kick this summer thanks to a couple of scores in the goodwill record bins. i almost wish they hadn't entered their disco phase, they'd be remembered totally differently now.

alex
"While every effort has been made to ensure optimum sound quality, priority has been given to historic content and importance."

XXGABEXX
tinnitus

Post by XXGABEXX » Wed Sep 24, 2003 8:08 am

i almost wish they hadn't entered their disco phase, they'd be remembered totally differently now.
Yes. My dad recommended their early stuff to me when I was still in high school, but that kinda went in one ear and out the other. A few years later (and a little more open-minded) I heard some of this early stuff he spoke of and I am still impressed to this day. I watched a rebroadcast their concert on PBS just recently. Those guys wrote some really good songs - catchy, technical, well-orchestrated and just plain good.

-GABE

Catoogie
buyin' a studio

Post by Catoogie » Wed Sep 24, 2003 8:43 am

The Bee Gees RULE!! I love all of their stuff, from "I Started a Joke" to the last single "This is where I Came In". "Fanny Be Tender" could be one of the greatest songs of all time. And I know that "Heartbreaker" (Dionne Warwick) is one of the greatest of all time!! Each section of that song is better than the next!! Robin's voice is the shit!!

aurelialuz
dead but not forgotten

Post by aurelialuz » Wed Sep 24, 2003 9:49 am

oh yeah, robin's the best. i wish to god they'd release the missing robin album. he's such a great singer...that warble...

'black diamond' is the one i've had stuck in my head for weeks.

alex
"While every effort has been made to ensure optimum sound quality, priority has been given to historic content and importance."

bobbydj
on a wing and a prayer

Post by bobbydj » Wed Sep 24, 2003 10:13 am

Nope. It's, well... they range in cheeses Brie to Mature Cheddar. If they were women it'd make a lot more sense to me. I wish I didn't have a problem with men singing in falsetto. But I do, generally. I like it when Jimmy Somerville does it (Small Town Boy is most excellent), and sometimes it's funny when Mozzer does it too. But the Bee Gees are just Edam-meisters.

I only have Main Course and S*t*rd*y N*ght F*v*r OST, though. So is there any stuff where they don't fly into castrato mode all the time?
Bobby D. Jones
Producer/Engineer
(Wives with Knives, Tyrone P. Spink, Potemkin Villagers et al)

takeout
steve albini likes it

Post by takeout » Wed Sep 24, 2003 10:13 am

I Started A Joke makes me want to stick an icepick in my ears. God, that lyric is dumb.

That said, To Love Somebody is a great song. Most of the Saturday Night Fever era things are great, disco vibe notwithstanding. Tragedy? Fugeddaboudit.

Alice Cooper had a great quote (paraphrased): "We all loved those records. They were great songs, great production... none of us would admit it, but we all had them".

bobbydj
on a wing and a prayer

Post by bobbydj » Wed Sep 24, 2003 10:23 am

takeout wrote:I Started A Joke makes me want to stick an icepick in my ears. God, that lyric is dumb.
It's weird how Low do a version of that.
Bobby D. Jones
Producer/Engineer
(Wives with Knives, Tyrone P. Spink, Potemkin Villagers et al)

Catoogie
buyin' a studio

Post by Catoogie » Wed Sep 24, 2003 11:37 am

bobbydj

The Bee Gees didn't start singing in falsetto until until the were doing "Nights on Broadway: and Arif Mardin asked Barry to "scream in tune".

If you haven't heard their stuff (and some say it's their best) before that period you are missing out.

EasyGo
buyin' a studio

Post by EasyGo » Wed Sep 24, 2003 12:42 pm

Three brothers that really knew how to sing. I remember hearing 'Staying Alive' on WLS AM every hour on the hour back when it came out (I was little). My mom took me to the 1979 tour; I was disappointed when they didn't sing much falsetto.

It wasn't till much later that I discovered their earlier works. Great songs, great singing, great orchestration and production. 'Every Christian Lionhearted Man' is right up there, with that creepy reverb sound and those insane harmonies. Great singing.

Meriphew
deaf.

Post by Meriphew » Wed Sep 24, 2003 2:43 pm

How Deep is Your Love kills me every time I hear it. What an awesome song.

Catoogie
buyin' a studio

Post by Catoogie » Wed Sep 24, 2003 2:46 pm

I just heard "Too Much Heaven", another good one. That shit is sappy and I LOVE it! The pre-chorus damn!!!

Meriphew
deaf.

Post by Meriphew » Wed Sep 24, 2003 4:54 pm

Catoogie wrote:I just heard "Too Much Heaven", another good one. That shit is sappy and I LOVE it! The pre-chorus damn!!!
I just listened to that one as well, and you're right - it's sappy as hell but it works on every level.