Distressor?

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
theslumlord
takin' a dinner break

Distressor?

Post by theslumlord » Tue Sep 30, 2003 11:45 am

Hey everyone,

What's a Distressor? I've heard them mentioned a few times around here, but I don't know anything about them.

thanks for the info.

toothpastefordinner
buyin' a studio

Re: Distressor?

Post by toothpastefordinner » Tue Sep 30, 2003 11:58 am

It is a compressor which is popular, as it can sound smooth or extreme or any one of a hundred ways, and it has all sorts of options, all of which (to most people) sound quite good.

You can get more info on google (not trying to be a smartass, I swear) :
http://www.google.com/search?q=distressor

Experts may note that typing your ex-girlfriends' (or boyfriends') names into Google may reveal what they are doing, which is handy if you want to play "Let's compare how much better off I am since we broke up than you are".

drew
toothpastefordinner.com

psychicoctopus
buyin' a studio

Post by psychicoctopus » Tue Sep 30, 2003 12:38 pm

toothpastefordinner wrote:Experts may note that typing your ex-girlfriends' (or boyfriends') names into Google may reveal what they are doing, which is handy if you want to play "Let's compare how much better off I am since we broke up than you are".
Ha! Or Google may reveal your criminal record, if you happened to do something bad enough to wind up in the newspaper...

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Tue Sep 30, 2003 8:26 pm

There was also an excellent Tape Op interview with the Distressor's designer, David Derr, a few issues back.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

rhythm ranch
mixes from purgatory

Post by rhythm ranch » Tue Sep 30, 2003 9:32 pm

Waves Distribution is the distributor for Empirical Labs, creators of the Distressor. Their web site is here.
Good luck,
Mark

wing
on a wing and a prayer

Post by wing » Tue Sep 30, 2003 10:01 pm

i've heard from a lot of places that the distressor is just totally awesome and crazy in how you can take it to complete extremes and do some really insane compression, yet also do it really soft and subtle. i've never used one, but intend to add it to my arsenal soon.

in the most recent tapeop, michael brauer actually discusses the distressor towards 3/4 to the end of his article, as being the best compressor to learn with. definitely worth reading about.

SirDonut
gettin' sounds

Post by SirDonut » Tue Sep 30, 2003 10:15 pm

psychicoctopus wrote:
Ha! Or Google may reveal your criminal record, if you happened to do something bad enough to wind up in the newspaper...
eric, you got me all excited, so I googled you and all I could find was some boring-ass chemistry papers that you wrote .
I want my money back.

hiddendriveways
pushin' record

Post by hiddendriveways » Wed Oct 01, 2003 7:41 am

A Distressor is the reason why my Visa bill is heavier than a Volkswagon (but well worth every unpaid penny).