poll: what do you do?

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
djimbe
tinnitus

Re: poll: what do you do?

Post by djimbe » Mon May 19, 2003 7:33 am

By day, I'm a mild mannered Mechanical Engineer in a steel mill. Used to be an old mill with lotsa flames and smoke and stink and danger. Totally cool. Now it's a new one with no flames and smoke and stink (I miss the stink. Smells like work to me...) but still the danger. Still kinda cool. I get paid to get dirty every day, putting my life in jeopardy is just part of the deal. If I'm not at work, I'm in my gardens or in the studio - both take large amounts of patience and creativity, neither requires much contact with others, and you can work all day in either and most folks will never notice what you've done 'till you tell 'em. Love it....
I thought this club was for musicians. Who let the drummer in here??

buzzaudioguy
gettin' sounds

Post by buzzaudioguy » Mon May 19, 2003 7:44 am

I make radio commercials by day(working for the man!) and record bands on nights and weekends(working for myself!) Keeps me busy and out of jail... sometimes.

bedbug
buyin' a studio

Post by bedbug » Mon May 19, 2003 8:09 am

My day job is working the reference desk in a public library (basically answering annoying computer questions ... and looking at the tapeop board).

I try to spend as much time as possible recording, but also find time to go to shows, go out to eat, hang out with the cats, and stuff.

prince turbo lung
pushin' record

Post by prince turbo lung » Mon May 19, 2003 8:14 am

for the money stuff i jump around between working part time at a bar, selling record collections and gear online, and doing odd and ends carpentry work. with my girlfriends work (enviormental management) we move quite a bit so it is hard to get settled in. music wise i do a noise unit called the mighty rime that i record and tour with, and i record bands in my house twice a month just to cover the expense of new gear and fixing old gear.
to decompress i go flyfishing for trout (catch and release of course) with my aussie cattle dog jasper and my woman. and i love choclate malts from sonic!

kerry
its on like donkey kong!!!!

inverseroom
on a wing and a prayer

Post by inverseroom » Mon May 19, 2003 8:19 am

I'm a novelist.

It's a real pleasure to imagine all of you sitting at your day jobs, daydreaming about microphone preamps. God knows I gotta push rock and roll out of my head to get any work done.

Here's to enlightened dilettantism!

John.

Jay
pushin' record

Post by Jay » Mon May 19, 2003 8:41 am

I'm a few credits shy of a psych degree, which I won't exactly know what to do with since I don't want to keep going to school and become an academic. Last year my girlfriend bought a friendly young dressage horse and we moved to a farm outside of the city. I bought a 1" 16-track- apparently once used by famous rock musicians Pearl Jam- that I use to record our band (a guitar, bass, drums, wurlitzer, juno 60, sh-101, saw, trumpet, and occasionally lap steel, banjo, trombone, tambourine combo) and others.

I'm going to find out what track Eddie Vedder sang on and make that my designated vocal track. I gotta record me some hits. Just kidding.

NewYorkDave
re-cappin' neve

Post by NewYorkDave » Mon May 19, 2003 8:49 am

I'm an engineer... of the design/build/maintain type, not the operator type. I work in television... briefly in radio before that, and before THAT, I fixed, modified and occasionally designed and built guitar amps and pro audio gear.

dubphaser
pushin' record

Post by dubphaser » Mon May 19, 2003 9:57 am

I'm a computer tech for a heavy machinery dealership. I do some assisting\engineering at Clear Lake Audio in North Hollywood, CA. Also attend an AE class there. I write and record my music and also record church groups and local bands. I play bass in a rock\pop group.

Cool to hear what everybody does. :wink:

JES
tinnitus

Post by JES » Mon May 19, 2003 10:36 am

I'm a college professor. I play and record music for fun.

--JES

dwelle
buyin' a studio

Post by dwelle » Mon May 19, 2003 10:40 am

i'm verically integrated. i own and operate 3 carwashes....
and i own a small recording studio.

i used to own the local record store, but sold it to a good friend of mine so i could focus more of my "free" time and energy on recording, doing sound for local shows, writing and playing music....

being self employed is the shit, but i sure work alot.

i hang out with the wife and dog alot too (a queensland heeler, just like kerry's dog).

DeafinONEear
steve albini likes it

Post by DeafinONEear » Mon May 19, 2003 10:57 am

I'm kind of the swiss army knife around work here... Repair automatic mixers and Nagras (if it's something I can do) and do minor work on 2 tracks, do alot of the smaller post production jobs and then if anything structural needs to happen, or if there's electrical wiring to be done, I'm there.
That's work "work".
After that I have been doing alot of "boutique"-type albums for small singer/songwriter acts around here. Just finished an album for a group of witches and sometimes it's a bit painfull (you try hearing a song that goes "who is the goddess, who is the goddess, who is the goddess, WE ARE!" again and again and again), but I dig getting work, though I wish it was more.
Can't really charge for band-related work yet as I just don't have the space that I would feel confortable charging ensembles for, which I hope to change in the next year or so....
But I do do alot of the recording for my band and we seems to get alot of good stuff done.
Oh, and I also do a fair amount of remote recording for classical and contemporary shows. This is actually my favorite part of recording because you get one take, little soundcheck, and it's all trying to get the most accurate, yet listenable representation of the performance you can get. good stuff, good stuff!
stop.

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Mon May 19, 2003 11:19 am

I need more hours a day.

for the cashish, i'm an administrative assistant/office support for the appeals court for unemployment benefits for the state of washington, a janitor at the rehearsal space my band practices at, bouncer/security guard for a club, stage hand for a production company, and just but in my two weeks notice at a club i was doing "sound" at which was a joke, (setting up DJ stands and helping dudes plug their laptops into the main system). and everyonce in awhile i'll get paid for recording a band or being an assistant engineer.

now for fun, record either freelance or in my rehearsal space, play in a couple of bands, ride my bike everywhere, drink a lot of beer, go to shows, smoke pot and ride my bike some more.

i'd say the music and related things take up most of my time. which is good, i just don't have enough time to get all done and spend time with my girlfriend and others.

soundguy
ghost haunting audio students

Post by soundguy » Mon May 19, 2003 11:22 am

dwelle-

is your dog red or blue? as soon as I move Im getting one, thats been a dream of mine for literally about 10 years. There is no cooler dog, and my dog is going to wrap cable.

does your dog bark at all?

dave

wayne kerr
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by wayne kerr » Mon May 19, 2003 11:39 am

i spend most of my time as a snake charmer. also a ballroom dancer, amateur gynophile, and luddite.
The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
-Hunter S. Thompson

durasoundrecordingco
steve albini likes it

Post by durasoundrecordingco » Mon May 19, 2003 11:52 am

Cash: manage sales and act as general all-around-go-to guy for a small independent snowboard company.

Fun: play music, assist in recording projects, read a lot of books, skateboard, drink with friends and love Lorra.
"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch,
you must first invent the universe...thank you very much."
Carl Sagan - Genius

nomovingparts - "scientist space rock"