Haunted Recording Studio!

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
inverseroom
on a wing and a prayer

Haunted Recording Studio!

Post by inverseroom » Fri Oct 03, 2003 6:40 pm

For those of you who don't read WEIRD NJ (the other greatest magazine in the world), there's a story in the new issue about Network Studio in Union, NJ, where "shadow people" occasionally appear and then dart suddenly out of sight. Engineers talk of hearing sudden static through the monitors, and then they turn to find a dark gray ghost slipping out of sight behind them. It's rumored that the shadow is the ghost of a man who was killed by a piece of falling machinery years ago, when the building was used by Thomas Edison as record lathe facility.

The article is not on their web site, www.weirdnj.com, but it is nevertheless a fantastic web site. You can order the new issue there, if you want.

Anything like this ever happen to you?

JRL

soundguy
ghost haunting audio students

Re: Haunted Recording Studio!

Post by soundguy » Fri Oct 03, 2003 7:33 pm

Just about everyone who has worked in my studio for more than two weeks has a good ghost story to tell. Wierd shit definitely goes on in this building and for whatever reason, its noticably worse in the winter time. And my studio is in NJ, go figure...

dave

bern
alignin' 24-trk

Post by bern » Fri Oct 03, 2003 7:36 pm

I don't know what I'd do if my studio was haunted. Think about all those hours ALONE doing editing or whatever.!!! :evil: :twisted:

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Fri Oct 03, 2003 7:40 pm

my "control room" is my bedroom. it used to be really narrow, like only 8 ft wide. i couldn't do a damn thing with it like that, so we knocked out one wall and put another one up 6 ft out to give me some more space. whilst in the middle of construction, one morning i was out in the kitchen making breakfast. i happened to turn around to face the door to my room and saw one of yr 'shadow people' walk out.

no shit.

since we're all engineers here, i can say that i saw 'him' for about 200 milliseconds and you'll know what i mean. just a flash, but i definitely saw it. we put some pieces of the old wall inside the framing for the new wall as a peace gesture :D alls been fine. he's cool.

i read somewhere online that ~19Hz makes your eyeballs vibrate, and a lot of places that are supposedly haunted actually just have something in there vibrating at that frequency and as it makes yr eyes vibrate you 'see stuff'.
if yr interested, do a search for 'infrasound' and you'll find it. it's cool stuff.

i still believe in ghosts though.

scott

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Sat Oct 04, 2003 12:23 am

OH MAN! One of my favorite topics!!!!!

Yeah, I'm in a haunted studio right now. All by myself! I've had faucets come on by themselves twice in one night (two different engineers experienced it). One other engineer here has heard people talking out in the lounge when no one was here and one night we were tracking rhythm section and there was a pounding coming from INSIDE THE CONTROL ROOM WALLS! Three guys heard this and tried to find out what it was, but to no avail.

I used to work in another studio that had a great ghost. It made sudden loud noises all the time (like something was falling over when it wasn't) and moved stuff around in the studio in the mornings. The receptionist would hear someone back in the studio and we'd come in for a session and when we turned the lights on there would be this sort of, "Hmm, I don't remember that ladder being there when I left at 4am." This ghost was great. The cleaning lady saw it one time "wearing a leisure suit." A few other people saw it at different times, too. My favorite story was that when David Henson worked there (he was an assistant on "Songs in the Key of Life") one night after his clients left (about 3am), he powered everything down, walked out of the control room, across the studio (about 60 feet) and just as he got up to the door of the lounge he heard a voice come over the big Altec playback speakers that said, "Goodnight."

There was a great story on haunted recording studios in Mix magazine maybe 7 or 8 years ago. Classic stuff. Keep posting--I love it!

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

Randall
pushin' record

Post by Randall » Sat Oct 04, 2003 1:31 am

They say the 3614 Jackson Highway studio in Muscle Shoals is haunted by the ghost of Eddie Hinton, a few members of a band were downstairs waiting their time to cut and came upstairs talking about the guy wandering around downstairs, nobody else was in the studio and when asked about what he was wearing the reply was a blue suit, Eddie was buried in a blue suit, very strange indeed, I've been in there and felt "vibed" on many an occasion and I never believed in ghosts untill, I moved in a house in the Shoals and everything would come unplugged, phone lines,speaker cables, washer,dryer everything most mornings when I would get out of bed, I would plug shit back in starting with the bedroom and by the time I would go through the house and go back to the bedroom everything in there would be unplugged again in a matter of minutes, the answering machine for the phone would pop off and talk to itself regularly, the TV would turn itself on and off, many night I would think somebody was in the house and have to run through the place with a shotgun, my ole lady was freaked out and my bulldog started acting like a cur, needless to say we moved, but first I askrd the landlord if there were ever any complaints about weird shit going on in there and she tells me NO with a funny look in her eye, so, I ask an old woman who lived next door (about 80) if any body died in there or if anybody ever spoke of weird things going on and she told me several folks had passed in the house over the years, I drive by that house every time I go to the Shoals and it is ALWAYS vacant, weird shit, never before or since experienced anything like it
"tune that thing son"

SirDonut
gettin' sounds

Post by SirDonut » Sat Oct 04, 2003 4:16 am

cgarges wrote:OH MAN! One of my favorite topics!!!!!

Yeah, I'm in a haunted studio right now. All by myself! I've had faucets come on by themselves twice in one night (two different engineers experienced it). One other engineer here has heard people talking out in the lounge when no one was here and one night we were tracking rhythm section and there was a pounding coming from INSIDE THE CONTROL ROOM WALLS! Three guys heard this and tried to find out what it was, but to no avail.

I used to work in another studio that had a great ghost. It made sudden loud noises all the time (like something was falling over when it wasn't) and moved stuff around in the studio in the mornings. The receptionist would hear someone back in the studio and we'd come in for a session and when we turned the lights on there would be this sort of, "Hmm, I don't remember that ladder being there when I left at 4am." This ghost was great. The cleaning lady saw it one time "wearing a leisure suit." A few other people saw it at different times, too. My favorite story was that when David Henson worked there (he was an assistant on "Songs in the Key of Life") one night after his clients left (about 3am), he powered everything down, walked out of the control room, across the studio (about 60 feet) and just as he got up to the door of the lounge he heard a voice come over the big Altec playback speakers that said, "Goodnight."

There was a great story on haunted recording studios in Mix magazine maybe 7 or 8 years ago. Classic stuff. Keep posting--I love it!

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC
jeez, guys, thanks. I'm about to go to bed.

bigtoe
deaf.

Post by bigtoe » Sat Oct 04, 2003 4:25 am

ooooooooo man ... i recorded this band in a warehouse east of downtown cleveburg...it's was the distribution center for a local weekly so i could pull my van into the spot. pretty rad. we took a tour of the rest of the building it was attached to...an old chemical and industrial factory of some sort...very clevo freddy kruger...you could totally picture the little chick jumping rope or them shining twins popping out of nowhere...went back down to the space to set up...

i pull the first wave of shit outta the van and mentioned being freaked about the spookiness of the building we just went thru... as i'm walking away from the van my horn starts honking. what little hair i have stood straight up...i walked slowly back to the van got to the drivers side window - which was busted out i remember... and the horn stopped...walked away...the horn started...this went on for like a minute.

now i'm a complete chickenshit so i immediately said 'ghosts are here i love you ghosts but i have to go' and suggested we try another spot. haha. the peeps i was recording convinced me it was my van as... well... it was a piece for shit by that point...so i was concerned the horn would go off at night at home or worse in the middle of the session...but no deal...never happened again. freaks me out just thinking about it...

Mike

penrithmatt
steve albini likes it

Post by penrithmatt » Sat Oct 04, 2003 7:51 am

i worked at this studio in central london.it was in a basement.i used to stay there at night,sleeping on the couch after everyone had left.one night i'm lying on the couch when i got this strange feeling,it got really cold and i got this feeling that i shouldn't look out from under the blanket(i had it over my head as all the lights from the board and outboard gear were kinda bright).anyway,i get this feeling,then i feel a pair of hands shake me!!then it got warm again and i had this strange sense of calm,like it was okay to look out from under that blanket.......nothing there.i actually did go back to sleep there.

studio three at sony music studios in london is haunted.i could never be alone up there at night.i always used to get the teaboy to come and sit in if the client left and i had stuff to do.never saw anything,but man,when the sun goes down theres a really heavy,weird vibe up there.

the place i work at now,has a few little quirks.i don't know that it's a ghost,although i wouldn't be suprised,or the fact that we are kinda in the middle of nowhere and it gets very dark and very quiet at night,but man,i hate being up there by myself!!!!

www.allairestudios.com
If it's not distorted,what's the point??

Randall
pushin' record

Post by Randall » Sat Oct 04, 2003 10:34 am

penrithmatt
damn thats a nice freaking studio
"tune that thing son"

TooLoFi
gettin' sounds

Post by TooLoFi » Sat Oct 04, 2003 11:46 am

when I work at the Plant Studios here in the bay area, I pulled a late night session in their studio B. The live room is from the 70s... super dead and there is a very strange vibe going on... a funky vibe. I did not enjoy walking in there to vacuum the dust bunnies out of the corners.

I also suspect that there is a digital ghost floating around in all pro-tools systems-- especially when it crashes. It creates a repeating pattern that it irregular in somewhat binary, like the encoded message from "contact." I recorded a sample of it with a masterlink. It's very intense sounding.

I see ghosts as helpers in this weird job.
going one way down a wrong way street

Randall
pushin' record

Post by Randall » Sat Oct 04, 2003 11:59 am

post a .wav or MP3 of the recording
"tune that thing son"

ahmedgarcia
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by ahmedgarcia » Sat Oct 04, 2003 12:55 pm

Randall wrote:penrithmatt
damn thats a nice freaking studio
No kidding!!
Randall wrote:post a .wav or MP3 of the recording
Yea.

I would actually like to spend the night in one these places. A friend and I are really into this kind of stuff.

bern
alignin' 24-trk

Post by bern » Sat Oct 04, 2003 10:01 pm

penrithmatt,
you work at my dream studio! I read an article on it a few months ago and I fell in love. I would kill for an internship there.

:D

dino
takin' a dinner break
Location: a mile west of the crossroads & the old circus grounds

Post by dino » Sun Oct 05, 2003 3:23 am

Weird shit people.... My studio is in recently built addition on the back of an old house, here in Virginia.. This whole area has more than it's share of ghost stories.. From the day we moved in, my wife and daughters have seen or heard things that are kinda hard to explain.. Voices, cold spots, and shit they see out of the corner of their eyes... My daughter even claims that on one occasion something woke her up and made her come out to the kitchen, where she found the stove turned on.. Well, being the insensitive, sceptical asshole that I am, I would tease them about having some kind of collective female hormonal delusion or something, because I have never wittnessed any of it..I would even remark that they should get their "ghost" to clean up a little. A few years later, my oldest daughter had moved back in with our son in law while waiting for their new apartment to become available..She was about eight months pregnant with out first grandson..My son in law is an Ex-Army, straight laced, kind of guy that says he never believed in these things.. They were sleeping in a bedroom in the oldest part of the house one night, when apparently he awoke to see an elderly woman looking down at my daughter.. She supposedly turned her head and looked right at him... then vanished.. He woke my daughter to tell her, even describing in detail what the ghost was wearing.. She told him not to worry.. that it was just the "friendly" ghost that looked out for the family... Poor Mikey was awake the rest of the night, sitting in the darkness, scared shittless, "protecting" my daughter and his unborn child.. After that, it was all we could do to convince him to even stay in the house, let alone sleep in that room again.. This is a guy that faced live bullets in Iraq in 91!!... The next day I took Mike over to one of my elderly neighbors and without mentioning the "Ghost", I asked what the previous owner, whom I know had indeed passed away in the house, looked like... As I said, I'm about the most non-believing SOB you'll ever meet... even to this day.. But when my neighbor showed us a photograph of the previous owner, big Mike started to freek the hell out...Dead ringer.... So is my house haunted?? Hell, I don't know... But it's sure getting hard to rationally explain the things that still happen to this day around here...Dean