HEY EVERYONE: Can we keep it in the right forum?

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
DeafinONEear
steve albini likes it

HEY EVERYONE: Can we keep it in the right forum?

Post by DeafinONEear » Sun May 18, 2003 6:00 pm

There's been a rash of computer-related questions in the past couple of days in the General section.
That's what the "This %$&*#@$ Computer" forum is for, and the Off-topic section is for, well, what do you do during the day-type things or Ahhhh, my roommate thinks he's listening to Morrisy.
I believe many people frequent them (including myself) so don't worry about not getting responses.
Thanks,
Zach
Last edited by DeafinONEear on Sun May 18, 2003 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DUC
buyin' a studio

Re: HEY EVERYONE: Can we keep it in the right forum?

Post by DUC » Sun May 18, 2003 6:07 pm

Do you mean recording related computer problems? Or just computer problems?

brian beattie
steve albini likes it

and ANOTHER thing!!

Post by brian beattie » Sun May 18, 2003 6:38 pm

the ice cream man, the one with the cart who sells mexican paletas, (NOT the ice cream truck) he used to have CHILE popsicles, and they were AMAZING!!! It's kind of a generic fruit base, with chunks of pineapple and maybe some melon, but there's also a serious DOSE of chile powder, and SALT!! it was the most delicious thing ever, and now the guy doesn't come around anymore. What's up with that???
brian

DeafinONEear
steve albini likes it

Post by DeafinONEear » Sun May 18, 2003 7:16 pm

as funny as those two posts were, I'm not trying to throw mud or antagonize. I don't know why it's such a problem though.

and duc,
this whole site is recording related. that's why you don't see a "How to Spay Your Pet Elephant" forum. It's really not that difficult to grasp how the different forums are seperated.

DUC
buyin' a studio

Post by DUC » Sun May 18, 2003 8:24 pm

As you can tell, I'm not computer savy... so I wouldn't know what the difference is. I'm sure some computer recording problems have analog solutions. We should keep it all together. I rarely ever go to the other boards, mostly because I hate waiting on my dial up connection.

Does it really matter?

soundguy
ghost haunting audio students

Post by soundguy » Sun May 18, 2003 8:36 pm

yes, I think it really matters. There is a computer forum for a reason, the only people who are going to make a difference in its efficiency is us. If you have a computer question, just stick it over there. If you have a question about stuff that happens before it hits the computer, stick it here.

dave

DUC
buyin' a studio

Post by DUC » Sun May 18, 2003 9:07 pm

If you have to enforce it, then it is safe to say that it is not very intuitive. Newbies will always post in GENERAL, because GENERAL does not mean "not digital".

GENERAL should be changed to ANALOG ONLY.

Now that's intuitive!

DeafinONEear
steve albini likes it

Post by DeafinONEear » Sun May 18, 2003 9:15 pm

Intuitive or not, there's a reason why Hillary spent such a long time designing this board and all the different areas. Why not just respect the board?

Analog only? Come on! We talk about converters here, data compression, minidiscs, etc. I find it hard to believe you don't know the difference.

And you're far from a newbie, Duc. You were around here on the first ezBoard, so it's not like you don't have a clue.

But whatever, I guess that's your decision, huh?

DUC
buyin' a studio

Post by DUC » Sun May 18, 2003 9:40 pm

I'm not trying to be an arse, and I rarely ever have a computer question. I'm just saying that it would be hard to enforce the no computer questions policy when general recording is worded as it is. I'm just trying to help, unless you want to tell people every other week. Forgive me.

DeafinONEear
steve albini likes it

Post by DeafinONEear » Sun May 18, 2003 9:49 pm

You make a valid point. But it hasn't really been a problem in the past and those new to the board have to go through all the navigation to get here, pretty much assuring that they see all the different forums and what goes on there.
No forgiving needed, I'm just trying to help keep the board running smoothly. We don't have mods here so it's up to all of us to keep it together, you know?
word.

soundguy
ghost haunting audio students

Post by soundguy » Sun May 18, 2003 9:54 pm

perhaps a simple rewording can do a world of good for those challenged on this one...

computer recording forum?

dave

WyteTyger
ass engineer

Re: and ANOTHER thing!!

Post by WyteTyger » Sun May 18, 2003 10:07 pm

brian beattie wrote:the ice cream man, the one with the cart who sells mexican paletas, (NOT the ice cream truck) he used to have CHILE popsicles, and they were AMAZING!!! It's kind of a generic fruit base, with chunks of pineapple and maybe some melon, but there's also a serious DOSE of chile powder, and SALT!! it was the most delicious thing ever, and now the guy doesn't come around anymore. What's up with that???
brian
It's basically like the time I shat myself after drinking 9 Miller Lite Tall-boys! That sucked!

DUC
buyin' a studio

Post by DUC » Sun May 18, 2003 11:05 pm

Not only should it be reworded, but it should follow right after General Recording. That should make it distinct and in common with what it really is.

I do like the fact that it plays off of the running articles in TapeOp, but it's just too confusing, esp. if you had a beer or two.

On another note, I have a link that goes straight to General Recording so that I don't have to go through the index. My bad.

DeafinONEear
steve albini likes it

Post by DeafinONEear » Mon May 19, 2003 1:07 am

Duc wrote:On another note, I have a link that goes straight to General Recording so that I don't have to go through the index. My bad.

right, but in the begining you had to go through the forum index to get here.

Why don't you email or PM hillary about this. She's extremely helpful and nice and I'm sure she'll deal with it.

alarmo
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by alarmo » Mon May 19, 2003 7:26 am

You know, I think the separate forums are a good idea, but it's not like someone's going to come confiscate your 4-track if a post shows up in the wrong area. Sure there's a grey area between computer and general ("am i having a converter problem, or do my pre's just suck?") but some things are obviously one or the other. Ergo, separate forums.....