anyone else have recording diarys? or links?

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
Slider
george martin

Re: anyone else have recording diarys? or links?

Post by Slider » Fri Oct 10, 2003 9:58 am

thanks for the soul coughing link. i heard about that PA from india somewhere else. i don't remember where.

aurelialuz
dead but not forgotten

Post by aurelialuz » Fri Oct 10, 2003 10:02 am

Slider wrote:thanks for the soul coughing link. i heard about that PA from india somewhere else. i don't remember where.
hint: check the bonus articles section of this site.

alex
"While every effort has been made to ensure optimum sound quality, priority has been given to historic content and importance."

xonlocust
tinnitus

Post by xonlocust » Fri Oct 10, 2003 12:38 pm

this is a cool read about the OIL comp that thick records put out - there was an article in tapeop a few months ago about it

http://www.thickrecords.com/oil/media/d ... _diary.doc

joeysimms
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by joeysimms » Fri Oct 10, 2003 12:56 pm

Makes me want to hear the record now, after reading all that went into it. Good stuff.

xonlocust
tinnitus

Post by xonlocust » Fri Oct 10, 2003 12:58 pm

yeah it's kinda cool cuz it's almost the antithesis of the mixerman/spent poets stuff.

lots o pics here:

http://www.thickrecords.com/oil/photos.html

twitchmonitor
re-cappin' neve

Post by twitchmonitor » Fri Oct 10, 2003 4:14 pm

I just started to read the diary....great stuff.

And the funny thing is I WORK at Coast Recorders! (although I'm guessing that is was when it was at it's other location, owned by Dan Alexander)

I can't wait to read bits about Coast....

Slider
george martin

Post by Slider » Sat Oct 11, 2003 11:34 am

no way!!! you work at coast? the one in downtown SF?
is the old mission and 8th st. coast still called toast recorders? i did some stuff there too. and i did the slider record on a&m at the newer coast that has a huge tracking room and an old neve console. is that the one you work at?
i think it was near 3rd street downtown. dan doesn't own that one anymore?
i heard there's a coast LA. don't know if that's true. send me a PM if you get the time. the old coast was awesome.

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Sun Oct 12, 2003 9:50 pm

leigh wrote:Here's a short account of Soul Coughing recording El Oso with the Tchad producing.

Leigh
The addendum to that is that they did go back in January, during the week of the NAMM show. It rained like crazy a couple days after the show and there was actually a pretty major roof leak at Sound Factory. I think a bunch of gear was affected.

I was visiting a friend of mine who worked there at the time (he had a session with Weezer that day) and got to see the room while Tchad and the guys were hanging out in the lounge. Husky was setting stuff up and he'd brought in this cool pump organ that I think he'd sort of recently gotten. They did some of the upright piano around that time with a mic (I think like an RE-15 or something) just stuck up near the wall a couple feet above the piano. My friend asked Husky if that was any specific type of setup and Husky said, "Oh no, of course not--you know, just whatever." There was also one of those little tiny Fisher Price record players--you know the ones with the little plastic records with the bumps on them that makes it work like a music box--right in the middle of the floor. It probably had something ridiculous like a 251 on it or something. Husky said that it had made it to the record the night before, but I haven't been able to find it. The piano's pretty obvious-sounding, though. Drums were set up in the tiny little booth at Sound Factory with the Binaural head in front, a 441 just under it, a D112 in the kick, and who knows what else.

What a great album, by the way.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

leigh
carpal tunnel

Post by leigh » Sun Oct 12, 2003 11:41 pm

Thanks for the additional details there, Chris. I would read books (if someone would just write them already) detailing Tchad's recording sessions.

I just watched the Wilco movie, really loved it without knowing the band's work at all. Getting back to the Spent Poets diary, Mio Vukovic strikes again!

Leigh

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Sun Oct 12, 2003 11:50 pm

leigh wrote:Thanks for the additional details there, Chris. I would read books (if someone would just write them already) detailing Tchad's recording sessions.
Leigh
There's some great stuff out there on him. One of my faves was the article in Tape Op. My buddy, Joe Zook, did some work with Tchad right around the time that Los Lobos did "This Time," so I got some pretty cool inside scoop. What a great engineer. I LOVE the new Bad Plus album.

Chris

antilog
george martin

Post by antilog » Mon Oct 13, 2003 8:28 am

wow - I hope I never get into that kind of business...
"Artists to my mind are the real architects of change, and not the political legislators who implement change after the fact." William S Burroughs

Slider
george martin

Post by Slider » Mon Oct 13, 2003 2:31 pm

leigh wrote:Thanks for the additional details there, Chris. I would read books (if someone would just write them already) detailing Tchad's recording sessions.

I just watched the Wilco movie, really loved it without knowing the band's work at all. Getting back to the Spent Poets diary, Mio Vukovic strikes again!

Leigh
Holy Crap!! i had no Idea Mio Vukovic (from the poets diary) was THE guy who passed on wilco's brilliant YHF album. that makes so much sense! what a HUGE mistake. bands like wilco and radiohead should get a free pass to do whatever the hell they want, with no questions asked by the record company. i'm done dealing with them in any way. the poets diary is just the beginning of years of pain and suffering i went through trying to make records for people who care nothing about anything but making a quick buck on a fad.
i think we should stop buying their crap altogether and buy music right from the source.

xonlocust
tinnitus

Post by xonlocust » Fri Oct 17, 2003 3:02 pm

my band's about to go in the studio so i'm writing one for the heck of it, partially inspired by this post and reading the spent poets one. hopefully it's kind of interesting.

http://mx70.blogspot.com

scarygroover
pushin' record

Post by scarygroover » Fri Oct 17, 2003 4:35 pm

Hi Matt,

Michael Padilla here. Remember I use to pay you 20 dollars a song to record me on your 4 track in the 80's? Too funny. I am running a studio out of Hyde street now. Hope all is well.

-MP