Nilsson Schmilsson, what in the holy fuck???

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
rhythm ranch
mixes from purgatory

Re: Nilsson Schmilsson, what in the holy fuck???

Post by rhythm ranch » Mon Oct 13, 2003 8:41 pm

todd wrote: actually, klaus voorman played rhythm guitar on the track. bass was played by herbie flowers, although klaus did play bass on alot of the record.
todd
First off, you're right Todd. Apparently, it was Herbie Flowers that played bass on that track.

Secondly, the Internet is an amazing thing. Not only do we all have this board to share info, but with a little looking around you can go right to the source. Or almost. I did a quick search looking for Richard Perry, the producer of the album. I didn't find a contact email for him, but I did find one for Klaus Voorman, so I emailed him asking about the track - did he play the bass, did he remember anything about the signal chain, any info at all. I figured he wasn't going to really remember a session from thirty years ago, but it was worth a shot.

When I got home this evening I had this in my inbox:
mark,
as I recall it is herby flowers who plays the bass on that track.
but I?m not sure.
all the best, klaus
Now, it's not a lot, but what the hell, it's KLAUS VOORMAN. Replying to my email!

I know, I know, calm the fuck down! But it's pretty cool.
Mark

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Mon Oct 13, 2003 11:38 pm

Dude, print that fucker out and put it up on your wall. That's fantastic.

I have a signed postcard from Isaac Asimov that I got when I was about 12. One of my prized possessions.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

BrianK
takin' a dinner break

Post by BrianK » Tue Oct 14, 2003 2:33 pm

I'm fairly certain it was Ken Scott who engineered the Nilsson album. This makes sense - he left Abbey Road in early 1969. From Trident he did the early Elton records, Bowie's albums with the Spiders, Nilsson, and some TRex and more. It also explains some of the tie-in's mentioned to sounds from Abbey Road. As we are in touch quite often, I'll ask him if he remembers...
Relax and float downstream...

scarygroover
pushin' record

Post by scarygroover » Wed Oct 15, 2003 1:24 pm

Yes Harry Nilsson, Lennon, and Ringo all lived together in LA on Lennon's lost weekend.

As far as the comment that "all things must pass" is worthless. WTF????

Everyone has an opinion, but this seems kind of strange. I absolutely love ATMP and I think Phil was a fine producer. I know it has become fashionable to say otherwise, just like it's fashionable to bash Paul McCartney. whatever ...

corinpills
ass engineer

Post by corinpills » Wed Oct 15, 2003 1:45 pm

I am so pleased to see this thread as Nilsson is one of my all time faves and he never seems to get mentioned these days. Personally, I think everybody who has ever purchased an Olivia Tremor Control or Apples In Stereo album should be forced to check out the first two Nilsson LPs, 'cuz they'd love them.

Quite literally, the biggest regret that I have in life is that about 6 months before he died, Harry and I became phone buddies for a few months. We exchanged some tapes and he invited me to come out to LA and try to do some writing togerther. I kind of blew it off, didn't have the money at the time and figured we'd get around to it. I still have a book of Suzanne Somers' poetry that I bought to send to him- he would have been highly amused.

So many amazing songs, just waiting to be covered. I have dibs on "Mr. Richland's Favorite Song".

soundguy
ghost haunting audio students

Post by soundguy » Wed Oct 15, 2003 4:36 pm

hey scary-

I grew up on ATMP and its been one of my favorite records for years. I always figured that the drums were just recorded really weak, or that the record was recorded with that kind of sound in mind. A few years ago I got some session tapes which could have very well been headphone mixes for the band jamming the rhythm tracks. That pretty much ruined the record for me. Confirming my original suspicion that that record was born a rocker, stuff like let it down, for instance, is just absolutely brutal. Someone had the brilliant idea to take all these amazing rock songs and dump a stadium worth of reverb on the drum kit making sure that it will do anything but rock. Yes, everyone has their own opinion, and ATMP works very well as some kind of lite-FM record, but if you are a fan of the harrison rockers that the beatles recorded, you just might be horrified to hear what the record sounded like before it got mixed into oblivion. Try to track down those session tapes, you'll be glad you did.

dave

scarygroover
pushin' record

Post by scarygroover » Wed Oct 15, 2003 4:54 pm

let it down sounds pretty gosh darn rocking to me. I like the wall of reverb. What if you don't have a problem with fm lite? Weak recorded drums? They sound fantastic to me. I dunno, that whole album sounds exactly like it should to me.

HOWEVER,

To be fair, I have heard some beatles outtakes that the drums sound a lot bigger on, and I just attribute that to the drums sounding that way before a reduction mix was made to fit more tracks.

stevemoss
alignin' 24-trk

Post by stevemoss » Thu Oct 16, 2003 7:39 am

There's a 2 CD set of Nilsson's first two albums (Pandemonium Shadow Show and Aerial Ballet)... sort of.

Apparently, some time after putting out each of those two discs, he revisited the tapes from those albums and rerecorded vocals and other elements and changed the pitch of some of the songs, releasing a single disc collection of some of the tracks as a third album - Aerial Pandemonium Ballet.

The set actually contains all three albums, with some good liner notes detailing things (though more from a "what's changed" perspective than a "how'd they do that" perspective"). Definitely worth looking for.

soundguy
ghost haunting audio students

Post by soundguy » Thu Oct 16, 2003 5:45 pm

If you like the way ATMP sounds, thats cool, you are certainly not alone, thats for sure. when I listen to it, I hear rock songs trying to escape the clutches of lite fm. Apparently its just me.

I guess that if Outlandos d'Amour was remixed to sound like The Soul Cages, whole throngs of people might enjoy it, but thankfully the stingman hasnt been motivated to do that shit. Wished ZZtop would have taken that lesson though...

dave

kjcoral
audio school graduate

Post by kjcoral » Thu Nov 06, 2003 1:53 pm

I
am a big big Harry Nilsson fan and this is possibly my favourite. I've actually wanted to talk about some of the sounds (and on his 1st two albums) but I figured noone would care to talk about it and/or his sessions were undocumented. I've never read any mention of him performing live though I suppose it could've happened. I have two copies of Schmilsson on vinyl and I've been trying unsuccessfully since summer to give the 2nd away to pretty much anyone that will walk into the living room.
now this is why the tape op readership is sooo hep!! nilsson is a god; an amazing songwriter and one of the most gifted damn vocalists ever! please, if you haven't already, get "nilsson sings newman!!" it's just what it says, randy newman at the piano playing his songs while nilsson does the vocals. pretty much a perfect fucking combo...and nilsson's first 4 albums are among pop/rock's best ever. there i said it...

cheers,
kevin coral

thereminman
takin' a dinner break

Nisson vs. The Bass Drum on LZ II

Post by thereminman » Thu Nov 06, 2003 2:37 pm

yeah, Harry Nilsson is the man. He's the Schmilsson of us all.
Funny, TWO of his biggest hits: Without You and that Midnight Cowboy song weren't his compositions..but he DID write :
"One"---the big 3 Dog Night song.
The only live thing I have heard by him is a BBC special he did.
I think I was introduced to him on my mother's knee as I watched
THE COURTSHIP Of Eddie's Father.
Later I remember seeing The Point on TV and then hearing his string of radio hits.
The man could sing, the man could write---unfortunately his latter albums are sort of spotty.
I'll have to check that bass sound out when I get home.

SOUNDMAN, having a problem with All THings Must Pass???
Next thing, he'll bring up the bizzare idea that there's no kick drum on Led Zeppelin II-------
just kidding Soundman, we all have our pet peeves.
I'm definately with you on the earlier versions of the Harrison songs having some guts.

Harry ALSO did a great album of Randy Newman covers!

thereminman
takin' a dinner break

Post by thereminman » Thu Nov 06, 2003 2:38 pm

wow kjcoral, ya got in on the 'submit' button before me, but yeah, that Nilsson Sings Newman is wonderful.

thereminman
takin' a dinner break

Post by thereminman » Thu Nov 06, 2003 2:40 pm

or actually kjcoral mentioned it about an HOUR before me. I'm just lame and read too fast and was too anxious to show off that I knew a couple things about Harry too. That's what wanting to show off'll do to ya. I'm going to go do punish myself now....(i.e. listening to the Hendrix or Kinks remasters with the treble turned up on my stereo)

supafuzz
carpal tunnel

got a pile of Nilsson records including pussycats with john

Post by supafuzz » Thu Nov 06, 2003 3:23 pm

got a pile of Nilsson records including pussycats with john lennon
bringing em back to nyc next week
be happy to lend or tape any of em
i'll send you the list when i get it back here
harley

www.harleyfine.com
new cd almost ready
"hidden drive'
mixed by wharton tiers at fun city
produced by hf

BrianK
takin' a dinner break

Post by BrianK » Fri Nov 07, 2003 4:26 am

Interesting, both Nilsson and ATMPass were recorded by Ken Scott (with others). Notice the difference in sound. I have heard the multitracks to some of ATMPass and they are printed with the reverb. The 3 acoustic guitars strumming at the beginning of My Sweet Lord were recorded IN the echo chamber at Abbey Road! No getting it off there.

Evidently George considered trying a version of the album with less-Spectorisms when it was reissued, but it probably could not be removed from the tracks...
Relax and float downstream...