plug in compression vs real deal

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
chriss
audio school graduate

Re: plug in compression vs real deal

Post by chriss » Mon Oct 13, 2003 12:17 pm

Waves and UAD are totally different plugins, one is surgical and one is colored. It?s not an apple to apples comparison. I am just sayings the waves stuff is so flexible. I agree that BF as a company is nuts, they bad mouth UA all the time and that?s just not how to do business. I like UAD and nomad factory, Oxygen hose does not, so I do not see eye to eye with them on that, but I do agree that the UAD is simply copy protection, a very good sounding form of copy protection, that?s all. It is simply the DSP card that bugs me.

Jay Bozich
audio school graduate

Post by Jay Bozich » Tue Oct 14, 2003 2:47 pm

stillafool wrote:I'm not too crazy about plugin's for alot of things (particularly delay and reverb), but I think some of the compressor plugins are right on the money. I particularly like PSP's vintage warmer and waves' renaissance compressor. The latter I use on drums quite a bit. The vintage warmer is my favorite plugin of all time, reminds me alot of the 1176.
The Waves R bundle is very good, the rennaissance compressor has been compared by worthy individuals to the 1176 and La2a, as the R EQ has been said to emulate a Pultec unit.
R reverb is great too, very lush.
They need a good amount of DSP though once you start adding them up.

I tried the demo of the vintage warmer and liked it alot, would like to get my hands on a real copy soon.
Good choices if you are indeed mixing in DP.
JB

JES
tinnitus

Post by JES » Tue Oct 14, 2003 7:13 pm

Jay Bozich wrote:
The Waves R bundle is very good, the rennaissance compressor has been compared by worthy individuals to the 1176 and La2a, as the R EQ has been said to emulate a Pultec unit.
JB
I hear this all the time, and while I like the Waves plugs, I can't say I've ever felt the RComp sounded like an 1176. Is there a particular setting you have in mind?

Thanks.

--JES

tiger vomitt
dead but not forgotten

Post by tiger vomitt » Tue Oct 14, 2003 8:23 pm

i guess if you took an 1176 set w/fastest attack and release and did the same with the rencomp (not on the "warm" setting, the other one) with the makeup gain kinda cranked (so that that yellow light is coming on), they might sound a tiny bit alike.

the reneq is pretty great tho, i happen to love that one. i really dig how you can tailor the slope of the HP and LP filters. i never use it for shelving or para eq's, only the filter-style ones.

Jay Bozich
audio school graduate

Post by Jay Bozich » Thu Oct 16, 2003 1:44 am

JES wrote:
Jay Bozich wrote:
I hear this all the time, and while I like the Waves plugs, I can't say I've ever felt the RComp sounded like an 1176. Is there a particular setting you have in mind?

Thanks.

--JES
Actually sorry but I don't recall if it was the 1176 or the La2a that it was said to resemble I would have to look back at some mag, not sure if it was in Mix or EQ where this was said.
I do like what happens though when that yellow light comes on, not sure what it officially is but....
That and forgot an honorable mention to the TruVerbm very nice variety of "room" sounds on that one. Plus the modualtion effects can be nice.
Dont even get me started on the Enigma.

JB

xik
audio school graduate

Post by xik » Thu Oct 16, 2003 4:39 am

jp wrote:i need a cool comp for overheads and im looking for a few ideas. i could buy the real deal or was also thinking about buying a few plugins. (maybe the bomb factory vintage bundle) i run dp3. will drop a grand on this. thoughts?
you need a real time compressor or can you process the audio post?,

if you don't need real time I always love the soundforge graphic dynamics processing, it works straight of the db, so there is 0 coloration or you could say 0 digital coloration, but more correctly you could say that it's a correct algorithm, since it doesn't have to cut corners for any real time processing

anyhow it has a attack and decay, and you can pretty much shape the db level in any manner humanly possible, a little goes a long way
-->