funk bass guitar recording... that nasty clip...

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
damian
audio school graduate

Re: funk bass guitar recording... that nasty clip...

Post by damian » Wed Oct 15, 2003 2:50 pm

Thanks for all the advise. It really helps. I have just tried a different bass and I don't have the issue, but my other bass doesn't have active electronics. Doesn't have that sweet tone I love... I think it has to be the bass... the pickups have to be just too damn hot. I am playing a Musicman Stingray... I'll take it in and get the electronics checked out. I don't hit the pickups when I play, but it is the same spike sound (and waveform) that one would get from hitting the pickup.

Thanks again.

andrew embassy
george martin

Post by andrew embassy » Wed Oct 15, 2003 3:02 pm

everytime someone uses multiple question marks I always envision them to be sticking their neck out as they finish the word (pickUPSSS?) and bulging their eyes wide open, like they're tied to their chair and trying to flip a lightswitch over on the wall with their head.
HEY! Who forgot they bag?

takeout
steve albini likes it

Post by takeout » Thu Oct 16, 2003 8:00 am

damian wrote:Thanks for all the advise. It really helps. I have just tried a different bass and I don't have the issue, but my other bass doesn't have active electronics. Doesn't have that sweet tone I love... I think it has to be the bass... the pickups have to be just too damn hot. I am playing a Musicman Stingray... I'll take it in and get the electronics checked out. I don't hit the pickups when I play, but it is the same spike sound (and waveform) that one would get from hitting the pickup.

Thanks again.
Ah... here we go. How do you have the controls set on the Stingray? If you have the EQ knobs dimed, you are sending an insane signal to the input of your amp/DI/whatever. Some amps can handle it, some can't. Try setting the EQ knobs flat (the center position; you should feel the knobs "stick" at the center detent), but volume wide open. See if that helps.