I hate the D112

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
Kyle
steve albini likes it

I hate the D112

Post by Kyle » Wed Oct 15, 2003 8:44 am

Am I the only one who dosen't like this mic for a kick? I have gotten some good sound with it, but it just really doesn't do it for me. I like a large DC outside of the kick pointed down a a 45 degree angle.

Agree, disagree, have any tricks to make this work?
Kyle

Kyle
steve albini likes it

Re: I hate the D112

Post by Kyle » Wed Oct 15, 2003 8:47 am

I'm an idiot. This should be in the kick drum sound yo thread.

Ignore me.
Kyle

SteveU
studio intern

Get the Audix D-6!

Post by SteveU » Wed Oct 15, 2003 8:55 am

As you may have seen, I posted a question regarding the D-6. I decided to get one at Guitar Center for the same price as the D112($199), and compare the two(I have had the D112 for several years). I recorded myself playing drums with each mic, when I replaced the D112, I didn't do anything to the signal path whatsover. The difference was striking! I consider myself to be pretty bad at having a critical ear for things(I'm a drummer for Christs' sake!), but even I could hear the difference! To compare, the D112, has a very low-end "boomy" sound, compared to the D-6 which had the same low frequency "boom",(but more controlled) and the main difference was in the midrange "attack" that you hear, which is incredibly important if your drummer ever wants to hit some quick 16ths! I haven't done any extensive recording/mixing yet, but I think I will probably not have to eq the kick anymore!

kwhatx
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by kwhatx » Wed Oct 15, 2003 9:11 am

It's ok for the D112 to have its own thread .... lol. You can add me to the list of people who don't like it (though I find it makes a swell door stop :P ). There are just so many kick/bass cab mics out there that are better.

kavish
pluggin' in mics

Post by kavish » Wed Oct 15, 2003 9:28 am

Good thread- I'm researching drum mics now myself.
What do you guys who have used them think of the Sennheiser E-602 compared to the D112 or the D-6?
The E-602 and the Audix D-6 are at the top of my consideration list right now, so any additional comments on either(or any other kick mic you're crazy about) would be appreciated.
Thanks-
kavish
Kavish's Kave
Coming soon: New CD releases from The Honeyfed Worms/Renae Paige/Kavish

permanent hearing damage
re-cappin' neve

Post by permanent hearing damage » Wed Oct 15, 2003 9:43 am

i haven't heard the D6 or the sennheiser mic in question. but i have A/B'd the D112 and the Shure Beta 52 i liked the shure much better. As far as that modern kick sound, i think it does it much better. a lot more low end in there, too.

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Wed Oct 15, 2003 10:38 am

Saying you dont like the D112 is like saying you dont like a certain color.

We could just as easily debate the merits of painting a bathroom red, or light blue.

The D112 works in certain circumstances.

IMO, the answer to "which is better, the D112 or the [insert other "kick" mic here]??"

is "both."

I usually use a lomo 19A19 outside, with a beta 52 or a D112 inside. Sometimes it sucks and I switch to a 421, or an RE20 inside, with a FET47 outside. It really depends on SO many variables.

Would you rather use a 400 dollar drill to put a nail in a wall or a 7 dollar hammer?

rimlord
audio school graduate

Post by rimlord » Wed Oct 15, 2003 10:41 am

i discovered the D112 works nicely alongside a 57 for vocals. i get a nice warm and wider tone using both mics together. in the studio its usually a tube i go for, but with a particular vocalist it worked well this way. i've used it on my own vocals and its now my standard way since i don't have a tube at home.

CDB Studios
takin' a dinner break

Post by CDB Studios » Wed Oct 15, 2003 11:39 am

kavish wrote: What do you guys who have used them think of the Sennheiser E-602 compared to the D112 or the D-6?
The E-602 and the Audix D-6 are at the top of my consideration list
Thanks-
Comparing the "bass drum" mics I have (e-602, pro 25, some peavey mic, AT kick/tom mic <from their kik mic pak>), they all have a different flavor. For my kick, I like to mix the e602 w/ the pro 25. With the band that came in last night, just the e602 was fantastic. It depends on the heads, the mallets that are on the kick pedal, how it's tuned, how it's 'kicked', etc... A lot of variables determine the out come.

my point O 2

-zach

heylow
george martin

Post by heylow » Wed Oct 15, 2003 11:49 am

I think I've made MY stance pretty clear on the D112 in the other thread.

I mean...I guess it would record a kick if that's what you had to work with but I find EVERY kick drum sounds the same through it....maybe that wouldn't be such a big deal if weren't for the fact that I HATE that sound.

I think if I were recording a heavy metal or nu-metal drummer, the D112 would be appropriate, but I'm not so it isn't.

Knock/click...knock/click...is thing on? Send that thing back the 80's where it came from! :twisted:

heylow

Al
moves faders with mind

Post by Al » Thu Oct 16, 2003 2:25 am

If your going to slag something off, try slagging off something that really is useless...like your president for example! :lol:

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Thu Oct 16, 2003 3:20 am

i love this mic. i find it kind of funny that so many people hate the d112. I use it for this guitar sound i like..and I use it on kick all the time..you just have to put it in the right spot and tape soft foam over the beaterhead......................................................................................................................................................

kwhatx
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by kwhatx » Thu Oct 16, 2003 10:23 am

I think that's the point. If I need to put foam over the beaterhead to make it less "clicky" then I'm using the wrong mic (of course unless you want clicky).

If you love the D112 great. If you don't, that's great too. Different strokes for different folks. Could I make an acceptable recording if I only had a D112 to use? Sure. Is it the first mic I would look at if I have other kick mic options? No. But then again I prefer kicks that go BANG as opposed to kicks that click. I'll usually grab a 421, ATM25, E100, or a RE20 first. Those give me the sounds I like.

Nobody is right, nobody is wrong .... welcome to music recording .... where everything is subjective ..... if it sounds good to you, then it is good.

:D

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Thu Oct 16, 2003 10:51 am

true. I use a 421 too sometimes and a LDC sometimes too.

wing
on a wing and a prayer

Post by wing » Thu Oct 16, 2003 2:08 pm

i'm a poor bastard, all i own is a d112... i'd like to be able to try all these other mics that you people speak of, but until then i'll just have to sit here and listen as all of you get up on the only mic for kick and bass i have :( i'd really like to try some new mics because i love boomy kick and huge bass... but so is my poor life.

how about the d12e? i heard that is a way better mic to so many...

thanks joel hamilton. you make me feel better. 8)