3d mic cd

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
googacky
pushin' record

3d mic cd

Post by googacky » Thu Oct 16, 2003 2:38 am

hello, i was wondering if anyone had heard the cd put out by 3d audio inc that compares something like 50 different mics. they also have a few mic pre comparison cds. these things are darned expensive, so i'd like to know if anyone has heard them to see if they're worth looking into. i've been looking for some good audio learning tools like this to help develop my critical listening skills... and i'm surprised by how little is out there. if anyone has any leads on these cds or anything else like them, i'd certainly appreciate hearing about it.

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Re: 3d mic cd

Post by I'm Painting Again » Thu Oct 16, 2003 3:12 am

this sitehas stuff like that :

http://www.thelisteningsessions.com/home.htm

googacky
pushin' record

Post by googacky » Thu Oct 16, 2003 2:18 pm

thanks for the link. it looks like interesting stuff... pretty much exactly the sort of stuff i was looking for.

rhythm ranch
mixes from purgatory

Post by rhythm ranch » Thu Oct 16, 2003 11:28 pm

I think you are talking about this.
Mark

soundguy
ghost haunting audio students

Post by soundguy » Thu Oct 16, 2003 11:49 pm

If you give me one mic, I can plug it into 10 different pre's and show you 10 pretty different sounds. CDs like that are cool, but if you have to pay money for them and live in a metropolitan area with some well equipped studios, you'd be much better off renting a room for an hour and making your own, so at least a) you know the signal path and b)you will have heard the shit in person on a source you know (your voice?)

going to a studio for two hours to plug in all their shit and run a dat or CD is really such a great investment if you are starting out and arent sure which direction to go in. Im suprised this isnt more popular. And honestly, I think if you called around, you'd be able to find a studio that would be more than happy to let you do that especially if you hinted to them that you wanted to audition the gear in light of a extended booking. 2 hours with the house assistant patching for you could answer just sooooo many of the quesitons posted here regularly. "whats the best" variety stuff.

dave

googacky
pushin' record

Post by googacky » Fri Oct 17, 2003 12:55 am

that's a good suggestion soundguy. for the money, it would be nice to have a hands on experience. and i'd get to see the insides of a nice studio. of course the cheapest approach would be to find someone with the cds and borrow them.

Dot
pushin' record

Post by Dot » Fri Oct 17, 2003 2:45 am

soundguy, I started The Listening Sessions precisely because I live in the middle of nowhere - like 90% of the rest of the audio-recording market. I lived in NYC for years and always had access to gear.

We have a CD coming out in a couple of weeks that has over 40 small condensers [ pair on drums and single on acoustic gtr ]. No studio in the world has anywhere near that selection of mics.

Is listening to a CD or MP3 as good as trying them yourself? No way. But it can definitely give you a direct I-hear-it experience of these mics - which added to online discussion, reading reviews and your own investigation - can result in a more-educated end user.

Judging by the 2000-3000 hits the TLS website gets everyday, somebody's listening.

I do think your idea of folks renting a couple of hours of studio time, testing gear and taking home a CD of the results is a good one, and often one I recommend as well.
Dan Richards
Pro Studio Reviews

soundguy

Post by soundguy » Fri Oct 17, 2003 10:28 am

Dot wrote:
We have a CD coming out in a couple of weeks that has over 40 small condensers [ pair on drums and single on acoustic gtr ]. No studio in the world has anywhere near that selection of mics.

eh, have you ever been to the hit factory? Or countless other big studios? 40 condensers may be a lot for a studio with one room, but for a multi room facility? common.

dave

googacky
pushin' record

Post by googacky » Fri Oct 17, 2003 12:01 pm

i'd imagine in new york it's a bit different of a story than it is here in st. louis. i doubt i could find a studio in town with 40 different condensers (large and small diaphagm combined). and i doubt i would adhere to the same standards in making my recordings as the listening sessions folks did. on the other hand, getting my hands on the mics would be an entirely different tactile experience...and i'd probably have an engineer around who has used the mics in question on more than a few sources. all this being said, when is the cd coming out, dot?

Dot
pushin' record

Post by Dot » Fri Oct 17, 2003 1:52 pm

soundguy, I worked in NYC studios for years.

The idea was to assemble the largest collection of small condensers that are currently on the market.

Dan Richards
Pro Studio Reviews

soundguy

Post by soundguy » Fri Oct 17, 2003 7:49 pm

dan-

are you recording examples of only stuff that is currently commercially available new?

dave

Dot
pushin' record

Post by Dot » Fri Oct 17, 2003 10:23 pm

Dave, yep, that's the idea. We do have a pair 451E's in there, because a lot of people are interested in the difference between them and the new 451B's - and because we had the E's here. Other than that, it's all currently available new product, and offers comparisons of most of the SDC's on the market side by side.
Dan Richards
Pro Studio Reviews