24hr Practice Space in Portland, OR??

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
patheticus
gettin' sounds

24hr Practice Space in Portland, OR??

Post by patheticus » Thu Oct 16, 2003 2:33 pm

I'm looking for a good 24hr practice space for my band in the Portland, OR area. Anybody got a clue?

patheticus
gettin' sounds

Re: 24hr Practice Space in Portland, OR??

Post by patheticus » Wed Oct 22, 2003 1:08 pm

Still looking.

leigh
carpal tunnel

Post by leigh » Wed Oct 22, 2003 1:50 pm

Um, yeah, me too. I used to practice at Suburbia, a long time ago, but then they started a curfew, 10pm IIRC. So I'm guessing they still have that curfew in place?

Leigh

aurelialuz
dead but not forgotten

Post by aurelialuz » Wed Oct 22, 2003 2:00 pm

you BOTH should move into the bowling alley. not real recording friendly, but if you're an alcoholic, it's the best practice space in the world.....

leigh i didn't know you were looking, i would have offered on sunday.

alex
"While every effort has been made to ensure optimum sound quality, priority has been given to historic content and importance."

patheticus
gettin' sounds

Post by patheticus » Wed Oct 22, 2003 2:14 pm

alcohal = good.

leigh
carpal tunnel

Post by leigh » Wed Oct 22, 2003 2:19 pm

Thanks, Alex... Kind of half-looking, but actually I didn't know that space was a possibility. I'll email you with some questions....

Leigh

jamoo
buyin' a studio

Post by jamoo » Sun Oct 26, 2003 10:39 pm

Try Bill Fisher. He ran a place called the Palace many years back. It was a big Pearl District wherehouse with not a few stories of its own to tell before the mid-90's economic boom turned the area into the slick gentrified wasteland that it is today. If you take a box & carve it up into smaller boxes and add hardwood floors & recessed lighting you still have a fucking box, or half-million dollar nouveau kitsch, if you prefer. Anyway, Bill still has a soft spot for musical kinds and runs a shop in the NW industrial area that repairs things like pool tables & theater seats with a few rehearsal spaces in it (as of late 2001). I found the place after months of ads, quizing people in music shops, and talking to any amiable person who might have a clue. The effort is is why I'm inclined to post this message. Best wishes to all. The only other advice I can give is: if you have a job that allows you to pay for luxuries like a rehearsal space, make sure it doesn't also suck your soul & weary you to the point where having the space doesn't do you any good. My lesson learned is that it's kinda a one or the other type of thing. Oh, and Bill is cool as heck. bill@poolshop.com is my last e-mail for him. You might also look for Palace Management.