gtr cab mics

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
just like honey
studio intern

gtr cab mics

Post by just like honey » Mon Oct 20, 2003 11:26 am

the other night i was doing a quick demo for a band here in PDX and got to try out something i had picked up a while back... well let me start over...

Growing up in art rock, noise rock, punky kinda way we used 57's on everything... then i went to music school, then to recording school... at school i used 421's on gtr's and really liked them. when i got out i went to buy a bunch of mics for our little project studio and i asked for 2 421's and they were out of them so i bought 6 57's instead... whatever. forward 3 years i move to portland and get turned onto Audio Technica ATM 23's which aded so much more depth. low end and charecter to the sound. sold the 57's and got some 23's. was happy. finally got around to getting a 421 bought six months ago but hadnt used it till last week. basic tracks were done live... ATM 23 on one gtr, 421 on the other. both through an MPA. the 421 was... unbelivable. i am trying to figure out what to sell to buy another one asap.

j

kwhatx
gimme a little kick & snare

Re: gtr cab mics

Post by kwhatx » Mon Oct 20, 2003 12:01 pm

The 421 is a great mic. Wonderful on so many things (guitar amps/cabs, kicks, toms, etc.) that I think of it as a "swiss army knife" mic (you know - if you had only one mic to take to a deserted island .... blah blah blah). YMMV of course.

:)

AnalogElectric
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by AnalogElectric » Mon Oct 20, 2003 12:05 pm

421's are nice. I'm kinda mad I sold mine some years back. I remember not liking them for anything, at the time, but my style has changed since then. I might have to find another one to have around.

--Adam Lazlo
AnalogElectric Recording
Gilbert, Arizona USA
http://www.analogelectric.com
http://www.myspace.com/adamlazlo

andrew embassy
george martin

Post by andrew embassy » Mon Oct 20, 2003 12:12 pm

what company makes the 421?
HEY! Who forgot they bag?

w_
pushin' record

Post by w_ » Mon Oct 20, 2003 12:16 pm

Sennheiser

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Mon Oct 20, 2003 12:23 pm

I like the sound of the older ones better, the ones without the MKII after the name, some like the newer ones (MKII)better..They (older)had been hand made and someone said on this board that they had been made by Telefunken as well..I dont know if its true or not..first time I heard that..There are definitely different flavours of 421 out there..and it seems no one can agree on the differences..a GREAT mic no doubt..

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Mon Oct 20, 2003 12:47 pm

Terrific dynamic mics! I happen to be one of those who likes the new ones better. Aside from the fact that they sound a little clearer and slightly more natural to me, I haven't run across one with the clip lock totally worn out yet. I'm sure it'll happen, though.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

w_
pushin' record

Post by w_ » Mon Oct 20, 2003 12:50 pm

So, if someone could, please explain exactly what the tonal differences are between a 421 and an SM57. I am considering getting a 421 but am trying to figure out exactly what it's going to do for me that the 57 can't (in reference to micing guitar cabs, not for vox or anything else.)

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Mon Oct 20, 2003 1:01 pm

I feel the main difference is the 421 has fuller low s, like its better for bass drums and bass generally speaking..the 57 tends to put things up front and boost the midrange..both are great mics but it comes down to you listening to them to see what one will be better for your application..if i had to pick i would go with both they can both be had for 250-300 USd.

just like honey
studio intern

Post by just like honey » Mon Oct 20, 2003 1:02 pm

i find a 57 to be nasal, midrangey, flat, dull and lifeless. im tired of the sound. not to say 421's are a new sound, people have obviously been been using them for just as long but they arent quite as accessible and they seem to be far more open and transparent. more true to life.

my whole thing has been trying to capture this sound i hear in my head, this sound that is created through volume and drone and delay.... this mammoth force that...

yeah. whatever. i just dont like 57's anymore. did everything i could do with them. im just interested in the truth.

jonathan

w_
pushin' record

Post by w_ » Mon Oct 20, 2003 1:16 pm

cool, thanks. I am trying to decide between a 421 or to just hold out for a nice ribbon mic like a Beyer or Royer.
And by the way, nice J & MC reference.

Meriphew
deaf.

Post by Meriphew » Mon Oct 20, 2003 3:32 pm

I still love a 57 on guitar cabs. I normally use a combo of a 57 and a BLUE Baby Bottle. Next for me is a Royer R-121.

bniesz
takin' a dinner break

Post by bniesz » Mon Oct 20, 2003 3:50 pm

i've heard the 421 referred to as the European 57, cause it's used there on everything, like 57s are used here in the states.

Just the other day the owner of the studio I work at was telling me about an ad that used to run with a 357 Magnum firing right next to a 421. How rugged!

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Mon Oct 20, 2003 7:15 pm

The only bad thing I have to say about the 421 is that the housing sucks. One misplaced drum-stick and the mesh part of the housing falls to bits. As a live sound tech I've come across more of these held together with tape than any other mic.

Don't get me wrong, I love 421's. I just wish they weren't all covered in duct tape.

ahmedgarcia
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by ahmedgarcia » Mon Oct 20, 2003 7:28 pm

haven't tried a 421 yet, but would love to, as well as the sennheiser E609, I hear it is great for a cab.

I had a great experience with a 57 a few inches from the grill and an Oktava 012 about 8' away. The Oktava sounded good by itself but with the 57 trown in it added more dimension.