Death Cab

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
Kyle
steve albini likes it

Death Cab

Post by Kyle » Tue Oct 21, 2003 12:53 pm

I just wanted to say that the new Death Cab for Cutie album, Transtlanticism, is amazing. Chris Walla has outdone himself. Beautiful, dense and pristene, yet it is very much DCFC.
Kyle

Lavahead
pushin' record

Re: Death Cab

Post by Lavahead » Wed Oct 22, 2003 3:03 pm

I want to start out by saying that I love Death Cab's music a lot. Something about Airplanes and You can play these songs with chords are great records. They quickly became one of my favorite bands.

Unfortunantly I would some up the songs on Trans as silly and cheesy. Number 1 is good..but the rest seem silly...some good melodies here and there..but..overall just not that "grabbing". That one song..I dont know what it's called..the one where he says over and over "and she is beautiful, but she don't mean a thing to me" is just silly..it makes me laugh. "I spent two weeks in Silverlake.." HAHA!

That being said I still think Chris Walla is a great recordist.

I know they are coming around in a couple weeks to my neck of the woods..I really want to support them but am not too excited about sitting through their set. Weird..because like I said, they are one of my favorite bands.
steely dan sucks, and so do mesh hats

newguy12
alignin' 24-trk

Post by newguy12 » Thu Oct 23, 2003 3:31 pm

I really dig the album also as well as all of their previous releases. I have been poking around on the internet all afternoon unable to find any details as to the equipment they use. As far as I can tell they employ strats and telecasters and some pics I found had fender amps while other times they were standing in front of some other cabinent I couldn't decipher. Could someone provide me with some details as to their setup or point me in the right direction (I already tried guitargeek.com).

Kyle
steve albini likes it

Post by Kyle » Thu Oct 23, 2003 3:38 pm

Did you want to know more about recording gear or the live gear? I know a little about the recording set up but I can't help with the live stuff.
Kyle

newguy12
alignin' 24-trk

Post by newguy12 » Thu Oct 23, 2003 5:00 pm

Really both, but I love the sound of their guitars on the albums, they just sound so perfect. Any information you got would be greatly appreciated.

probability
gettin' sounds

Post by probability » Thu Oct 23, 2003 9:31 pm

You've probably already read this, but it's really informative if you haven't:
http://www.prosoundweb.com/recording/ta ... eath.shtml

bern
alignin' 24-trk

Post by bern » Thu Oct 23, 2003 10:31 pm

nice article! I had never listened to them before until about a week or so ago when I went to check them out in Detroit, and I was pretty blown away by how great they were.

RuudUnit
gettin' sounds

Post by RuudUnit » Fri Oct 24, 2003 1:37 pm

It's weird... I really like them a lot as well. Some of the stuff on We Have the Facts... and a bit on The Photo Album just strike me as sonic perfection.

Perfect judgement at every level that just tickles my ear like nothing else.

I was really excited to hear transatlanticism, and a friend got it for me for my birthday. After my first listen, I was just puzzled.

The songs are fairly silly, taking a much more direct and poppy approach in all the wrong ways (imo).

And the high end on the album is killing me... sibilance! Ah!

That being said I can get into it and enjoy track 3 a lot. And others. It's just not what I had hoped.

Someone has to pick up the torch...

-Eric

Lavahead
pushin' record

Post by Lavahead » Fri Oct 24, 2003 1:47 pm

RuudUnit wrote:I was really excited to hear transatlanticism, and a friend got it for me for my birthday. After my first listen, I was just puzzled.

The songs are fairly silly, taking a much more direct and poppy approach in all the wrong ways (imo).

And the high end on the album is killing me... sibilance! Ah!

-Eric
Glad you felt the same. I played it for a friend who had never heard Death Cab and he just gave me a look that was like "turn this shit off".

But listening to Something about Airplanes makes me want to yell..WHERE IS THIS BAND..WHAT THE FUCK. STOP DANCING AROUND IN TUTU'S. (Is that how you spell tutu? you know..a little pink ballet dress. I put mine on and then I start Transatlancticism and I dance around.
steely dan sucks, and so do mesh hats

joeysimms
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by joeysimms » Fri Oct 24, 2003 1:55 pm

I had thought the band would sound something like the band whose song they took their name from. Boy, was I wrong.