OT: Elliott Smith has died...

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
thearnicasync
buyin' gear

Re: OT: Elliott Smith has died...

Post by thearnicasync » Wed Oct 22, 2003 3:03 pm

Re: financial/artistic success = no reason to die.

I think the notions of financial/artistic success are very relative.

I mean, E. Smith was great; Either/Or probably changed my life. But that was how many years ago? Who's been stroking his ego since? I'm not saying he needed it, but heck who doesn't...whether it's your husband, wife, or the adoring public.

And financial success is mysterious, too. Maybe he bought a house, and a giant mixing board, gave some $ to crashing stocks...who knows? I'm sorry, but when you look at what "educated," liberal folks who don't "follow their dreams" accumulate by age 34, you need some serious financial success to feel "on par." It stinks.

Not only that, E. had another 30 yrs. 'til he qualified for Medicare. Who would insure the guy? He's known for drug abuse and the interventions are the stuff of P-town indie lore. Actually, someone would probably insure him...to the tune of what...$3,000 a month? Yikes.

I don't know...I think E. had lots of reasons to committ suicide. Not to say I'm happy about it or it isn't sad. And I don't think he had anymore reason to do it than anyone struggling to find her or his place.

Condolences and sorry if this sounds insensitive, I just don't know how much "why'd he do it?" I can stand.

kelly

Meriphew
deaf.

Post by Meriphew » Wed Oct 22, 2003 3:09 pm

A stab wound to the chest? Sounds more like a homicide than a suicide to me.

aurelialuz
dead but not forgotten

Post by aurelialuz » Wed Oct 22, 2003 3:13 pm

Meriphew wrote:A stab wound to the chest? Sounds more like a homicide than a suicide to me.
THANK you. i was waiting for someone to say something. i thought i was just being crass by thinking that.

alex
"While every effort has been made to ensure optimum sound quality, priority has been given to historic content and importance."

pk
buyin' gear

Post by pk » Wed Oct 22, 2003 4:27 pm

I've been reading TapeOp for about 2 years and have been browsing this forum for a while, constantly learning things about this passion we all share of recording music. However, this is my first post. I was hoping it would be in a thread where I could help someone in a technical manner, perhaps ask a question about monitors or a particular compressor. But no, my first post is to express my sadness about Elliot's passing.

4 years ago, I moved to LA from Denver. I didn't know anybody but my roommate/friend, Brooke, who was a big fan of his and turned me onto his music. I come from a more electronic background, things like Massive Attack and Portishead are the usual suspects on rotation here, and my own music is somewhat along those lines. When it comes to guitar based singer/songwriter type of stuff, it takes a lot to impress me. Sure, there were The Beatles and a few others, I like some of Nick Drake and Jeff Buckley's stuff, but then I heard XO for the first time and it pinned me to the wall, quite firmly at that.

The song "Waltz #2" quickly became a favorite, and inspired me to write a waltzy electronic piece, and subsequently, take on a new approach to recording. The songs are beautiful, the melodies permeate through the soul, the production is gorgeous (imo). From the learnings of XO, I went out and purchased the rest of Elliot's records. Once in a while, we would see him hangin' out at 'The Roost', a divey but quaint bar in L.A's Atwater district. I never mustered up the courage to go say hello. Now, I wish I had.

Sorry for the long post, I just wanted to share how one artist's vision, music and songwriting can appeal to most anyone and create such a spark of inspiration, how one album can be associated with so many great memories, as XO does for me in my one year living in LA.

I'm deeply saddened, goodbye Elliot.

Lavahead
pushin' record

Post by Lavahead » Wed Oct 22, 2003 4:47 pm

I'm so sad about this that I've come back to this thread like 5 times today.

He played the Palace 2 nights in a row in Hollywood during the Figure 8 tour. I remember on the second night after the show I was with friends hanging in the parking lot after the show when we see him walk out the back door of the Palace. We walk over to him and say hello, nice show, blah blah blah. I didnt say a word. He bummed a smoke and chit chatted for a minute with my friends. Then he says he has to go..and just starts walking down Vine St. to Hollywood Blvd. where he turned and just kept walking by himself, nothing in hand.

After playing 2 sold out nights at a mid sized venue..he just walks out the back door and down the street. How fucking punk rock is that?
steely dan sucks, and so do mesh hats

loudmusic
steve albini likes it

Post by loudmusic » Wed Oct 22, 2003 5:07 pm

Man, why do you want to start that shit??

I guess perhaps it's a natural reaction to deny reality in the face of something so sad...

I'm not trying to start a fight, I just think that is pathetic.

Martin

howiemarx
gettin' sounds

Post by howiemarx » Wed Oct 22, 2003 5:24 pm

very sad. i found out late last nite, and have been celebrating his creativity all day. i was fortunate enough to see a show a couple years back at a club in nashville for the fig. 8 tour. bad weather caused all power to go out at the start of the show. elliott proceeded to quiet the crowd and perform without electricity in the club for an entire set, no pa, no lights, elliott alone on stage lit by candles in front of the hushed audience. after performing this amazing intimate set, the power was eventually restored and elliot continued to perform another full live set. i was blown away by both performances. memories of this show will stay with me forever. peace to elliot and all those he touched.

Meriphew
deaf.

Post by Meriphew » Wed Oct 22, 2003 5:46 pm

loudmusic wrote:
Man, why do you want to start that shit??

I guess perhaps it's a natural reaction to deny reality in the face of something so sad...

I'm not trying to start a fight, I just think that is pathetic.

Martin
WTF are you talking about? People normally don't kill themselves by stabbing a knife into their chest. The situation sounds a little fishy to me, more like he was murdered. It's my opinion - take it or leave it.

loudmusic
steve albini likes it

Post by loudmusic » Wed Oct 22, 2003 5:56 pm

Dude, are you frickin' Columbo?

You can deduce this shit from your desk?

I'm sorry, I really am not trying to pick a fight. It's just ... do you have some special inside info on this or what??
If it was suspicious circumstances, would they come out and say suicide? Oh shit gotta go, there's a black helicopter outside.

M

thearnicasync
buyin' gear

Post by thearnicasync » Wed Oct 22, 2003 6:32 pm

Dudes. Let it go.

But I can deduce on the moon that fatally stabbing yourself in the chest would be pretty hard, right?

When's the last time you heard of someone doing it?

Why does his death have to be suicide?

Why does Arnold have to be governor?

Peace,

Matlock

Meriphew
deaf.

Post by Meriphew » Wed Oct 22, 2003 6:35 pm

Most people who kill themselves do so with a gun, by OD'ing, hanging themselves, suffocating themselves, or by leaping to their death - not by sticking a knife into their chest. I find that very odd. Oh - and if you're not trying to pick a fight, then watch your wording you use in your posts, cause it sure sounded a bit agressive to me.

loudmusic
steve albini likes it

Post by loudmusic » Wed Oct 22, 2003 6:42 pm

Yeah, I didn't mean this to be a big deal.

But it does figure that someone who can't figure out why arnold is governer would also have a cospiracy theory in this case.

I'm sorry I couldn't resist. I swear to god I am not trying to pick a fight.

I think it is incredible that he stabbed himself in the chest... and I can think of alot of instances where stabbing yourself is the method of suicide. Samurai... I have a little more respect for him in a weird way. At least it wasn't some fucking cliche way to go.

I just hink it's funny that you have taken one line of a news story and decided. That's crazy... maybe it was a murder, or a freak accident, but how the hell can I tell that from where I'm sitting on my ass typing this dumb post??

Again, don't take my stabs (sorry) at you seriously... I am just pissed off at that asshole (ES).

Quincy
Ps. Can you imagine how many people are listening to Elliot Smith records tonight??!!!

Meriphew
deaf.

Post by Meriphew » Wed Oct 22, 2003 6:46 pm

loudmusic wrote: Ps. Can you imagine how many people are listening to Elliot Smith records tonight??!!!
Or how much his record sales will sky rocket over the next few weeks. Kind of sad it happens that way.

thearnicasync
buyin' gear

Post by thearnicasync » Wed Oct 22, 2003 6:56 pm

loudmusic wrote:Yeah, I didn't mean this to be a big deal.

But it does figure that someone who can't figure out why arnold is governer would also have a cospiracy theory in this case.

I'm sorry I couldn't resist. I swear to god I am not trying to pick a fight.
Aw heck, sure you are. I know why Arnold is governor...'cause he's the Governator.
loudmusic wrote:I think it is incredible that he stabbed himself in the chest... and I can think of alot of instances where stabbing yourself is the method of suicide. Samurai...
Now there's something I didn't expect to see on the Elliott Smith suicide thread...samurais.

Rock over Georgia,

kelly

loudmusic
steve albini likes it

Post by loudmusic » Wed Oct 22, 2003 6:58 pm

HIIIIGHHHHH YAH.