OT: Elliott Smith has died...

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
dubphaser
pushin' record

Re: OT: Elliott Smith has died...

Post by dubphaser » Wed Oct 22, 2003 9:06 am

His music is desperate and beautiful. He lives on through it ...

trash180
takin' a dinner break

Post by trash180 » Wed Oct 22, 2003 9:07 am

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/en ... 075811.htm

go to your post. click on edit. when the page comes up, there will be a delete button. you'll have to be signed in.

loudmusic
steve albini likes it

Post by loudmusic » Wed Oct 22, 2003 9:19 am

go to your post. click on edit. when the page comes up, there will be a delete button. you'll have to be signed in.

loudmusic
steve albini likes it

Post by loudmusic » Wed Oct 22, 2003 9:22 am

Thanks, I've never been signed in when I tried to do it!!!

Sorry if I annoyed anybody with my message-board incompetence.

Oh, yeah, I read he stabbed himself in the chest??? Holy shit.

I cannot imagine being so distraught.

I'm so sorry for everyone.

M

Tony Puff Puff
audio school

Post by Tony Puff Puff » Wed Oct 22, 2003 9:27 am

Sincere condolences to anyone who needs them at this time. This sucks and it is not immediately computable. Although I can't claim to be a huge fan, I know many people who's lives E.S. touched from owners of small labels that he recorded for to friends and former bandmates. He was someone who acheived huge success without compromising his aesthetics and stayed true to his art at every turn, plus he had great taste. What a bummer, but what a life.

-A

kavish
pluggin' in mics

Post by kavish » Wed Oct 22, 2003 9:37 am

kavish
Kavish's Kave
Coming soon: New CD releases from The Honeyfed Worms/Renae Paige/Kavish

KingOlaf
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by KingOlaf » Wed Oct 22, 2003 10:02 am

I only know Figure 8 from his solo career, but Heatmiser was my favorite NW band.

This is really sad news. Sad because we lost his talent and sad that a young man would destroy himself in such a way. Drugs don't seem very romantic to me anymore.

RIP, Elliot.
You're just what I needed

cheexolicious
alignin' 24-trk

Post by cheexolicious » Wed Oct 22, 2003 10:34 am

I've gone through numerous periods of time when all I listened to was XO and Either/Or over and over and over. I can't state the pain of knowing he's dead, which is made all the more bizzare by having never had a conversation with him, or "met" him in the traditional sense. His songs have really had an impact on my life and helped, or at least been a companion to me through some really bad times.

To the poster that feels angry and like he would punch Elliott Smith in the face for killing himself. I understand that sentiment.

But try to keep in mind that somebody who dies from mental illness (depression, bi-polar, schitzophrenic, etc, take your pick), whether it's fueled by addiction or fuels addiction, dies from a disease. No different than somebody who dies from cancer or aids or anything else.
Don't give me this "but it was their choice to <not seek help, take drugs, etc>". It's more complicated than simple choice.
Just like you wouldn't run up to somebody having an heart attack and punch them in the face for selfishly eating big macs for 40 years.

I'm not trying to slam the person venting their anger over losing this artist who has touched us. Anger is as valid a response as sadness. Just try to remember that it's not simple, and somebody who is at the point of suicide is not well.

peace and condolences to all.

:tear:

XXGABEXX
tinnitus

Post by XXGABEXX » Wed Oct 22, 2003 10:56 am

I'm not trying to slam the person venting their anger over losing this artist who has touched us. Anger is as valid a response as sadness. Just try to remember that it's not simple, and somebody who is at the point of suicide is not well.
Very well stated.

-GABE

loudmusic
steve albini likes it

Post by loudmusic » Wed Oct 22, 2003 11:17 am

To the poster that feels angry and like he would punch Elliott Smith in the face for killing himself. I understand that sentiment.

But try to keep in mind that somebody who dies from mental illness (depression, bi-polar, schitzophrenic, etc, take your pick), whether it's fueled by addiction or fuels addiction, dies from a disease. No different than somebody who dies from cancer or aids or anything else.
Don't give me this "but it was their choice to <not seek help, take drugs, etc>". It's more complicated than simple choice.
Just like you wouldn't run up to somebody having an heart attack and punch them in the face for selfishly eating big macs for 40 years.

I was the one who felt/feels like that. I understand what you are saying and take no offense. I am as concerned for him and how hard and awful it must have been for him as anybody. It is just the first reaction I had after my stomach dropped out.

I had a friend commit suicide, and others die accidentilly and I just have such a hard time understanding either. I realize that depression/alchoholism/drug addiction are real diseases... I can only imagine what it's like to be in the grips of them. Life is just so short anyways.

GET HELP GET HELP GET HELP.

Martin

puffpastry
pushin' record

Post by puffpastry » Wed Oct 22, 2003 11:26 am

This is very sad news

Catoogie
buyin' a studio

Post by Catoogie » Wed Oct 22, 2003 11:26 am

Damn, he apparently stabbed himself in the chest. OUCH! He must have been in alot of emotional pain to die like that.

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Wed Oct 22, 2003 11:41 am

Catoogie wrote:Damn, he apparently stabbed himself in the chest. OUCH! He must have been in alot of emotional pain to die like that.
A very poetic exit.

When I heard last night I cried for a while then
realized hes happy and in a better place now and
he can finally rest.

ottokbre
deaf.

Post by ottokbre » Wed Oct 22, 2003 11:41 am

it's even on the BBC

concubine
re-cappin' neve

Post by concubine » Wed Oct 22, 2003 11:50 am

Last edited by concubine on Wed Oct 22, 2003 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.