Mixing while high: does it work for you?

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
Molesworth
audio school graduate

Mixing while high: does it work for you?

Post by Molesworth » Wed Oct 22, 2003 5:35 pm

Just some questions for those who have mixed while under the influence of weed.. or drink, or whatever:

Do you find it easier to make mix decisions when high? And later on when you listen back to the mix, do you still think you made the right decisions?

Do you think you listen as critically when you're sober as when you're not? Are you more of a balanced listener when sober.. not so nit-picking or obsessive?

Would you say that weed (or whatever you're DOC may be) has been a valuable tool for your work, an obstacle to getting the desired results, or somewhere in between? Good for some aspects, not so good for others? How does it help your mixes, and/or how does it hurt them?

Not really interested in turning this into a moral/legal debate. I just want to look at this topic objectively, "favourite substance as a tool", as if talking about monitors or dac's.

Personally, I think I can hear the balance of a mix much better after a few puffs (or drinks, though less so than weed). Imaging seems to become more etched and exact in space, layers become better defined and more palpable, and everything seems to become more detailed and spacious overall. I've never mixed while high, but I think I'd have a difficult time with being too obsessive about certain sounds, or with making subjective decisions about what sounds best. All that besides being (seemingly?) slowed down, physically.

What's been your experience?

Al
moves faders with mind

Re: Mixing while high: does it work for you?

Post by Al » Wed Oct 22, 2003 5:41 pm

Sorry...but ...i'm a bit too stoned and pissed to answer yir questti......

loudmusic
steve albini likes it

Post by loudmusic » Wed Oct 22, 2003 5:46 pm

NO, it makes me THINK it sounds better. It makes me hear the song differently and the change of perspective is usually a good thing, however.... I always end up with sober final mixes. I do feel that it can be worthwhile to waste time that way... just don't get into the trap of thinking you NEED that... All that really happens is I concentrate on diffferent things. Ultimately it is a lazy short cut.
If you think it makes you better you have a problem end of story.

ALSO, I feel it is absolutely wrong to work on somebody else's time fucked up.

Martin

SlabOLab
gettin' sounds

Post by SlabOLab » Wed Oct 22, 2003 6:00 pm

So much stuff sounds better than it is with the weed effect. I try to remember the feeling some particular piece gave me, and the things that seemed like such great insights into it while under the influence, and then try (and try and try) to recreate them when I'm sober.

Mixing high is like masturbating while your woman sleeps. Maybe an interesting exercise, but kinda pointless, and often with messy results.

Lewis

Flight Feathers
re-cappin' neve

Post by Flight Feathers » Wed Oct 22, 2003 6:02 pm

i don't think i've ever kept a mix i did high. but i do like to track/perform high on occasion. i certainly don't NEED it, but it does inspire performances that would not have come about otherwise. but most of the time the next day on playback i think "what the HELL was i doing?" but whatever, it's still fun..
5D Studios <-- my OLD studio
Flight Feathers <-- my band

brian beattie
steve albini likes it

Post by brian beattie » Wed Oct 22, 2003 6:21 pm

If the mixes you make when you're high are no good, you're just not practicing enough.
brian

brew
pushin' record

Post by brew » Wed Oct 22, 2003 6:23 pm

there was a good post about this on www.prosoundweb.com. i can't find it anymore, maybe someone else can...[/url]

loudmusic
steve albini likes it

Post by loudmusic » Wed Oct 22, 2003 6:26 pm

Brian, off topic, but did you do a dead milkman record??

PS. I get paid in weed alot!!!

Martin

Molesworth
audio school graduate

Post by Molesworth » Wed Oct 22, 2003 6:41 pm

brew wrote:there was a good post about this on www.prosoundweb.com. i can't find it anymore, maybe someone else can...[/url]
Thanks for the heads-up brew. The search function at psw is either busted or else doesn't like my browser. I'd be interested in reading that thread if anyone has the url.

Molesworth
audio school graduate

Post by Molesworth » Wed Oct 22, 2003 6:47 pm

Interesting replies so far.. Thanks.

brian beattie
steve albini likes it

Post by brian beattie » Wed Oct 22, 2003 6:49 pm

martin
I did bucky fellini, beelzabubba, and metaphysical graffitti. (they nicknamed me "bongwizard" on metaphysical graffitti, so I guess it's not O.T. ......BUT, then again, I don't REMEMBER being stoned.....)
brian

loudmusic
steve albini likes it

Post by loudmusic » Wed Oct 22, 2003 6:56 pm

This is totally on topic Brian.

Dead Milkmen records changed me. People laugh at me when I say that, but I'm dead fucking serious. They were so much more than DUMB. GENIUS! (not all of the records though).

I'm going to go listen to one now.

ALLRIGHT BONGWIZARD!
Martin

Recording Hobbyist
audio school graduate

Post by Recording Hobbyist » Wed Oct 22, 2003 7:57 pm

I would agree that listening to music while high is very enjoyable. I even find myself being impressed with music I otherwise don't even enjoy solber. Being solber mostly, I just don't find the time to listen to as much music as when I was younger. After a few puffs, I anxiously dig for the next song to play and so on for hours and think at the time I'd make a great Radio Program Director.

I'd never had the desire to just listen to Leonard Bertsein and the Philharmonic but one windy day while driving after a few puffs, I did and it was an amazing audio experience.

I've never mixed high that I can recall but suspect if I did, I'd be in a wider head space than solber and more aware of the "feelings" of the sounds to better manipulate them.

I've composed while high and would strongly recommend against writing any lyrics under the influence. Moody feelings don't translate well into words.

tomasz
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by tomasz » Wed Oct 22, 2003 7:59 pm

I tried and I never had any good final work acomplished...I came up with interesting ideas as someone has already mentioned.
however, having dramaticly different experiances as listenning to some albums under the influence makes me feel that they must have been recorded and mixed under influence. Skinny Puppy albums freak me out after a puff but sound borring when drunk and interesting when sober....just an example

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Wed Oct 22, 2003 8:40 pm

brian beattie wrote:If the mixes you make when you're high are no good, you're just not practicing enough.
brian
Amen!! Mixing while high is just like mixing with a different set of monitors. If you're used to it, your mixes will translate!

chris
http://www.subatomicpieces.com