i should know this i guess

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
dungeonsound615
suffering 'studio suck'

i should know this i guess

Post by dungeonsound615 » Thu Oct 23, 2003 5:58 pm

So I know about whats involved in recording so to say getting sounds laying down tracks and making a product for a band.(i know there is more than that). However i was thinking i really dont know anything about where to get stuff pressed and how to distribute a finshed product. For example say i recorded my own solo album how would i get this out to people besides playing shows. Also does anyone know of good places to send music for consideration for say video game music, or even foley work to be considered to be bought for library cd's. Im trying to think of ways i can branch out and explore new things and maybe make some money in the process. hope my posting is clear and makes sense
thanks mike

P.S im in chicago if that makes a difference in your advice

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Re: i should know this i guess

Post by joel hamilton » Thu Oct 23, 2003 8:57 pm

Aaahhhh,
The eternal question!

Experience. There is NO substitute for experience. Keep doing what you do.

Enjoy the ride. If you are drawn to the arts and you are GOOD? The arts will be drawn to you...

enjoy.

nlmd311
tinnitus

Post by nlmd311 » Thu Oct 23, 2003 10:23 pm

Basically the one thing you are looking for is publishing.
In order to "sell" your songs in the way you are speaking you need to have them published. You can go about this in a couple of ways... Mainly
1) Find a publisher
or
2) Take care of your own publishing... if you are willing to put alot of effort into it its not that hard at all. You just have to be patient and persistant. Also you can start up fairly inexpensively, and if you work your catalog hard enough you might actually make some money, if that is what you are looking for.
**** Make sure your stuff is copyrighted before trying either, unless you are really cool with someone taking off with your pride and joy.
if you need more information i can do my best to help you, aside from that just search the internet for music publishing and music publishers youll be amazed to see the results.
diligence

-Darrill
slowly panning across something kind of crappy...

AnalogElectric
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by AnalogElectric » Thu Oct 23, 2003 10:29 pm

I know a few groups I've recorded that go through publishers like Bug Music, TAXI, and Tinderbox (to name a few) that help to get your songs on soundtracks, video games, tv, etc...

You have to pay a yearly fee for most of these kind of groups and sometimes a fee for each song submitted (plus it doesn't guarantee you'll get on anything) but if something is accepted you'll be paid accordingly; usually a flat payment.

You basically get on a list of bands/artists that get send a mailer every month on what they're looking for at that moment, ie a metal song for an action fight scene, a somber pop song about love and redemption, electronica with no vocals for computer virus game, etc...

The lists I've seen don't tell you specifically what the movie/game title is or whose producing/directing/starring but vague descriptions are all they give. Then it goes to the desk of 'so-and-so' of the publishing house, they listen, if they like it goes to another person, and the ultimate decision is that of the director of the real project. It's kind of a crap shoot especially when dealing with money out of your pocket right away but if by chance it gets picked you could be making a good chunk of cash and great exposure.

--Adam Lazlo
AnalogElectric Recording
Gilbert, Arizona USA
http://www.analogelectric.com
http://www.myspace.com/adamlazlo

SB
audio school graduate

Post by SB » Fri Oct 24, 2003 6:35 am

Never pay real money out of your pocket to have something "published." Companies who can actually accomplish something for you will take their cut out of whatever money they secure for you.

kcrusher
tinnitus

Post by kcrusher » Fri Oct 24, 2003 8:27 am

For pressing - there are tons of pressing plants out there. I don't have my list in front of me, but if you're really interested in the list just hit me up with an email.

Are you referring to record pressing or cd duplication?

Distribution - tricky, tricky at the very least. You either gotta have great connections (and that usually is no guarantee) or you have to 'prove' yourself by selling tons of cd's on your own. Using outlets like Amazon, CDBaby, CDNow, etc. to get your stuff out there is a place to start, but keep in mind that you have to support your sales with playing shows and probably doing advertising of some sort, all of which cost money. You're gonna spend a ton of it to get your name out there, or work your ass off doing it - probably both. There are tons of resources for how to do it yourself - again I can provide you some if you send me that email. Oh yeah - avoid distributors that want you to pay them a fee for distribution.

Publishing - you should just do it yourself until you have enough 'notoriety' to put it into another publishers hands. It is completely true that a good publisher will not require any form of payment from you.

TAXI and other services may be of help in getting you some 'deals', though your stuff REALLY has to be good to get anything. The licensing deals are usually pretty sweet - one deal can easily cover 3-5 years of the fees from TAXI. I can't speak for other services, as we've only used TAXI. Since you get feedback on almost all submissions, it may be a good way to get some professional advice on how to improve your compositions. Keep in mind that alot of times they're looking for more 'mainstream' stuff and that every reviewer has their own opinions, so you have to look at the 'bigger picture' of what they're trying to convey. I know it's helped alot with the way we write, especially when submitting for licensing deals. Artist deals can be completely different.

As with anything, there are a million ways to go about this depending on your budget, your time, your disposition and your ultimate goal.