MXL Mics?

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
damian
audio school graduate

MXL Mics?

Post by damian » Thu Oct 23, 2003 10:01 pm

What are the opinions of MXL mics for vox? I hear they are really nice. Any suggestions? Which type are best...

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Re: MXL Mics?

Post by joel hamilton » Thu Oct 23, 2003 10:06 pm

I wanna check out the tube thingy.

I dont know much about them. I have pals who have really sick mic collections just to have a condenser they can put in front of anything and not worry...

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Thu Oct 23, 2003 11:19 pm

I've got a V67 that I'm not really nuts about for vocals. I haven't had it long and I'm sure at some point, I'll find someone for which it's perfectly suited. It's great on soprano sax and clarinet, though. It's an intersting mic in that it's pretty bright but doesn't seem to accentuate sibilance. It also has decent distance sensitivity, something that a lot of inexpensive mics are lacking. And it was only a hundred bucks.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

wing
on a wing and a prayer

Post by wing » Thu Oct 23, 2003 11:47 pm

I have a V67 and love it on almost everything I've put it on except MY vocals... i haven't tried it on anyone but my own voice which i found an oktava mk319 to suit more... but for some the v67 may sound best.

all in all great mics that sound really good and are worth the small amount. they definitely sound better than for what they are priced.

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Thu Oct 23, 2003 11:58 pm

Which is the gold topped looking one. The tube one, with mogami witten on it (which still is a weird selling point???)

Like:

We used only the finest solder digikey had to bring you the ultimate solder joint...

Furthermore, the metals used to make the body are melted down chevy hubcaps of the best vintage....

(have I ever stayed on topic in ONE post for more than a sentence??? what a spazz!)

I didnt know they ar ea hundred bucks!!!??!!

I am getting one. where should I get mine?

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Fri Oct 24, 2003 12:02 am

Sam Ash typically has them for $99. There are a few with the gold tops. The V67 is supposed to be modeled after a U67. Yeah, right. I mean like super yeah, right. Anyway, it has a not-so-veiled attempt to look like a toy C12VR. Which bring me to another point, why aren't there any big, bad-ass looking mics being made for less than $3000? I mean, if I were a mic manufacturer, I'd be making the shit out of some huge mics. I guarantee they'd sell better.

Chris

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Fri Oct 24, 2003 12:06 am

No shit right??

I have a C12VR, and I have a C12 A.

Guess which one people feel snazzier in front of?

When I pull out a C12A people are like "whats wrong with your 414?"

But Man, If I was a cheap mic maker, I would put that sucker in a HUUUUUGE tube.

Like twice as long as a C12.

How big is this Mic??

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Fri Oct 24, 2003 12:09 am

I don't know, maybe 7 or 8 inches long, about 1.5 inches in diameter.

Chris

wing
on a wing and a prayer

Post by wing » Fri Oct 24, 2003 12:21 am

cgarges wrote:I don't know, maybe 7 or 8 inches long, about 1.5 inches in diameter.

Chris
tsk tsk chris, you should've learned by now this is not the right forum to brag about wang sizes.

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Fri Oct 24, 2003 12:43 am

Better that than Joel and Dave's intended use of the dreaded RFT mic!

CG

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Fri Oct 24, 2003 1:02 am

You are just jealous that I have a 14 inch mic!

(i just went and trolled around for one of those tube mogami MXL thingy's.)

I could only find it for like 279 with the case and all that stuff.

Maybe I will get that one and use the case for my C12A. I didnt get a box with that guy. Sad, but true. (great deal though!)

I love the C12A.

(i told you I have a complete inability to stay ON topic for more than a second!!!)

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Fri Oct 24, 2003 1:15 am

Joel Hamilton wrote:I could only find it for like 279 with the case and all that stuff.
The V67 is a solid state mic. I can't remember which one is the tube mic. The one I have isn't a Mogami version, but I doubt that having it internally wired with Mogami is gonna make it sound like a C12VR, a U67, a C12A, an M49, a 19A9, or a 251. Making it the size of a U47? Now THAT might make a difference.

If you need a case for your C12A, go to Home Depot and look in their tool box section. They have these great briefcases with that foam cut into removeable squares that you could fit you mic and PSU into. They vary in price from $18 to $25--I guess depending on demand. Very worth it. I've got like eight of them that I keep my mics in.

Chris

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Fri Oct 24, 2003 9:40 am

I just got two of those cases actually, I was being sarcastic about spending 279 dollars just for the case (sort of...)

That pluck foam stuff rocks! Totally loving those aluminum cases. I would either get those or pelicans with no cutout,, and make it myself....

I havent had any time for arts and crafts!!!

joeysimms
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by joeysimms » Fri Oct 24, 2003 9:43 am

I guess I'm an MXL believer, I have the V67 which I like on my voice sometimes, othertimes not so much, but it is very smooth for a lg dia condenser, not super hyped. Good on acoustic, good on front-of-kit.

I just bought a V77 tube, haven't got it yet, but it's supposed to be nice. Not sure of the diff between the V69 "mogami" and the V77..

And I just bought a pair of .. .. fuck I can't remember the model no., (lg dia condenser) but musician friend was just selling them for $39! And so far they sound entirely usable on acoustic, background vocals..

Most of these purchases were made after reading Harvey Gerst's reviews..

damian
audio school graduate

Re: MXL Mics? power supply?

Post by damian » Fri Oct 24, 2003 9:56 am

another dumb question...

the MXL v69 comes with a dedicated power supply. Why do I need this? Is this for the phantom power, or do the tubes in this mic need a different type of powersupply?

thanks!