dbx160 or joemeek vc3?

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
jdsowa
pushin' record

dbx160 or joemeek vc3?

Post by jdsowa » Fri Oct 24, 2003 1:42 pm

If you had to choose only one--which would feel would be more crucial to a mix:

dbx 160

Joemeek VC3

I've never owned a good mic pre or a good compressor and unfortunately it's hard to try these things out in a store. The preamps i would be using otherwise are in my Alesis 1622 16-channel mixer (probably not pretty).

thanks
jesse

thearnicasync
buyin' gear

Re: dbx160 or joemeek vc3?

Post by thearnicasync » Fri Oct 24, 2003 2:31 pm

I've owned the VC3Q, and I actually miss the sound of that thing. The compressor was ok...the eq was WAY better than mackie/alesis...I mean you can acutally use it. The high end doesn't sound like FM radio high end...it's much subtler than a mackie or Alesis...and unless your trying to actually rescue something, I think the high EQ on mackies/alesis are useless.

The preamp is definitely colored. I like the color...you can make some interesting sounding things, no doubt. Sometimes it sounds kind of '60s, even. It's not, however, very detailed, and if you're looking for a multipurpose pre, this aint it. You could start with it though, as a contrast to your boards pres. I do think the Meek will get you a better contrast to the alesis pres than the dbx...I think the dbx is much cleaner and probably more like the pres in your mixer.

good luck,

kelly

t3r
pluggin' in mics

Post by t3r » Fri Oct 24, 2003 2:31 pm

DBX 160(Are you talking about the 160A?)If so,no contest,DBX 160A all the way,its only 1 ch,but its a damn good one!!

@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

Post by @?,*???&? » Fri Oct 24, 2003 9:04 pm

If it's a black face dbx160, hands down, that's the unit. As slight coloration for just about anything or coupled with an API312 for some amazing bass...you win.

TooLoFi
gettin' sounds

Post by TooLoFi » Fri Oct 24, 2003 9:20 pm

I have never used the joe meek model, but the DBX 160A is perhaps one of the most savory compressers I've ever used. It all depends on application. In my case, I had one drum I wanted to stand out in the mix without breaking any sort of pain threshold. I ran it through the 160A and the tone and body of the drum came out strong and defined. It's controls are also very straightforward... It squashes.

Greg
going one way down a wrong way street

E-cue
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by E-cue » Sat Oct 25, 2003 3:42 am

Hands down the 160XT or 160X, and even the 160A beats out the Joe Meek. The 160 VU I'm not as big of a fan of. Most people like it's (the vu version) 'twackability'. The 165a's are among my most loathed. The 160Xt's are among my most loved.

dino
takin' a dinner break
Location: a mile west of the crossroads & the old circus grounds

Post by dino » Sat Oct 25, 2003 4:10 am

This comparison is a little difficult to make because the VC3 is a whole "channel strip", meaning a preamp, an EQ, and a compressor, all for a couple of hundred. Whereas the 160 is of course, JUST A COMPRESSOR. No preamp, no EQ.. The dbx also costs the price of two VC3's.... I have, and use, a VC3Q right along side of other much more expensive pre's. It is, as stated by others in this thread, almost an effect in itself. If your doing rock and roll you'll probably love it. If your doing piano recitals, you probably won't... I was supposed to have a 160A in my hands by this week, but thanks to the bozo's at the local equipment emporium it has'nt arrived from the other store.I should have just ordered it from the Fiend. I guess it really comes down to whether your getting an appropriate sound for your purposes, from what your'e using now. Save your money... Get both..pxhk