I dream of Calrec

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
thearnicasync
buyin' gear

I dream of Calrec

Post by thearnicasync » Thu May 22, 2003 9:02 am

Hi folks...I was drooling over those calrec modules on the Averill page...they sound right up my alley. I've got nice tube pres, and now I want something with a bright "open" top to record stuff that I want to end up clean and present.

Any one have any experience with Calrec stuff? Any reccomendations for pre/eq channel strips (sub $1000) that feature great pre AND eq sections? I'm also thinking I'd like to be able to master stereo mixes with a pair of foxy channel strips too...that's why those Calrecs look so nice!

Thanks amigos.

brian beattie
steve albini likes it

Re: I dream of Calrec

Post by brian beattie » Thu May 22, 2003 9:30 am

I've used a set of averill calrec mic pre/eq's, (don't know model) It was lovely. the high pass filters RULED! (I was putting way too much bottom direct bass through it, and the low cut at 20 hz saved my life. and it DID'NT take much needed bass meat away!!) The treble knob on that thing made a real sweet neve-y sound, to my ears.
I've heard that ward beck pre's rock. (the canadian neve??) Once again, I don't know model #'s, but maybe someone else does. They go for 200-400 usually, unracked. I want to check some of those out. ( I have the same "problem", I've got a bunch of tube pre's, but I want a few large sounding solid state pieces to round things out.)
brian

marqueemoon
carpal tunnel

Post by marqueemoon » Thu May 22, 2003 1:26 pm

Oliver Straus/Mission
ass engineer

Post by Oliver Straus/Mission » Mon May 26, 2003 2:05 pm

Yeah Early Calrecs rule. A bunch of guys from Neve designed them.

If you can find them, there was a german company called WSW. Their pres and EQs are an increadible value and sound absolutely amazing

The Ward Beck stuff is great too, although not disrcete. There's a guy constantly selling stuff on Ebay for cheap.

Also the late 60's Langevin strips are really cool.

Cheers
Oli Straus/Mission Sound Brooklyn
http://www.missionsoundrecording.com

pscottm
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by pscottm » Mon May 26, 2003 2:59 pm

been using a pr of averill pq1061s for a few weeks now and i'm hooked. for overheads, been using calrecs into distressors and it's all we need for a great 2-track drum sound. going to tape like that and it sounds fantastic. decided to lose the kick mic and snare mic altogether.
-pscottm

aurelialuz
dead but not forgotten

Post by aurelialuz » Mon May 26, 2003 9:54 pm

[]
Last edited by aurelialuz on Tue Apr 06, 2004 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
"While every effort has been made to ensure optimum sound quality, priority has been given to historic content and importance."

penrithmatt
steve albini likes it

Post by penrithmatt » Tue May 27, 2003 8:38 am

used to work at a studio that had this kinda frankenstien board, a neve frame,like an 8068,but with calrec eq modules.it had some calrec mic pre's and some neve(although i can't remember which ones).it sounded pretty good,although it was layed out in a slightly confusing way.the only problem was that the eq section would ocasionally blow a fuse.it was pretty scarey,'cos yer ns10's would blow fuses too,with a loud bang!!never could work out why.............the studio was in london,called Studdridge Street,and is now a plastic surgeons office.
If it's not distorted,what's the point??

gyraf
alignin' 24-trk

Post by gyraf » Tue May 27, 2003 8:54 am

A DIY-version of the above (ebay) Calrec PQ1549 equalizer:

http://www.gyraf.dk/gyraf2/gy_pd/calreq/calrec.htm

Complete project, including PCB layout and so on. Not commercial - you'll need to do it all yourself...

Jakob E.
Gyraf Audio