What are you using for drum sequencing?

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
Molesworth
audio school graduate

Re: What are you using for drum sequencing?

Post by Molesworth » Sat Nov 01, 2003 8:30 am

Kick ass. Thanks for the suggestions. For the way I work, I think one of these soft-sequencers is going to be the way to go. Downing demos as I type.

So what controller do you use and why'd you choose it? I see cheexolicious with the Yamaha RMx1, chocolatechickenpotpie with the sticks, djslayerissick with the Oxygen keyboard. Some of you just paste samples in a multitrack, no external controller? How do you manage that whilst still keeping focus on the feel of the song? Scratch tracks?

miamidevice
gettin' sounds

Post by miamidevice » Sat Nov 01, 2003 8:38 am

With regard to slaving reason to a different soft sequencers (logic, etc), will this get around the fact that Reason can't do multiple time signatures in one track?

m.

Meriphew
deaf.

Post by Meriphew » Sat Nov 01, 2003 8:44 am

I would vote for a Yamaha Rm1x (I have 2 of them). They work great and you can get 'em pretty cheap on ebay. Other hardware options would be an Akai MPC machine or one of the EMU sequencers.

leigh
carpal tunnel

Post by leigh » Sat Nov 01, 2003 11:09 am

miamidevice wrote:With regard to slaving reason to a different soft sequencers (logic, etc), will this get around the fact that Reason can't do multiple time signatures in one track?
Yes, absolutely. You can use Reason as just a sound module, and sound modules know nothing of tempos, time signatures, etc.

In response to earlier comments that Reason's sequencer is crap, I agree that it's basic, but I use it a lot. It's colorful and hands-on.

Leigh

gone
alignin' 24-trk

Post by gone » Sat Nov 01, 2003 11:55 am

Last edited by gone on Wed Nov 19, 2003 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

inverseroom
on a wing and a prayer

Post by inverseroom » Sat Nov 01, 2003 7:08 pm

I hate to sound like an idiot here, but I know almost nothing about MIDI or triggering. I use a cheap (but good!) Zoom drum machine but would like to try to play sampled sounds from my Boss SP-303 using the patterns I create with the little Zoom box. Can I, um, do this? Will the velocity-sensitivity of my Zoom patterns actually affect the SP-303 samples (the SP-303 has non-velocity-sensitive pads).

Meriphew
deaf.

Post by Meriphew » Sat Nov 01, 2003 11:30 pm

inverseroom wrote:Will the velocity-sensitivity of my Zoom patterns actually affect the SP-303 samples (the SP-303 has non-velocity-sensitive pads).
No - unfortunately it won't.

jayrope
pushin' record

Post by jayrope » Sat Nov 01, 2003 11:40 pm

i use
logic w/ esx24 or battery.
jomox xbase09 and mbase, roland tr 606 and 808, mfb 502, all of them featuring full or half analog drumsound synthesis. plus a pair of mics & pres & comps to sample anything i want anywhere in 24 bit stereo for beats. if i sample i do every hit at least 4 times when possible to be able to use logics randomization features for a 'not soooo dead' drumsound. i tend to cut samples incorrectly, which also results in a lil more alive sounding thing.

oops and: several wonderful drummers, but we didn't find out yet if i use them or they me. 8)

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Sun Nov 02, 2003 1:46 am

reco--Acid and Reason, depending on the requirement. Acid is nice 'cuz I'm set up to quickly and easily use my own "samples" if I like. Record some stuff into Vegas, cut it up, open in Acid and you're going.

>>>>Some of you just paste samples in a multitrack, no external controller? How do you manage that whilst still keeping focus on the feel of the song? Scratch tracks?>>>>>

Yeah, I've done that. Scratch tracks, dummy loops and working very quickly. I'm not a drummer so an external controller would just confuse the issue if it meant I had to "play" the part by hand.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

wardshorsehead
buyin' gear

Post by wardshorsehead » Sun Nov 02, 2003 10:45 pm

cheexolicious and meriphew...

i've been considering an rm1x for sequencing and working with loops on my akai s3000 sampler...

good tool for the job?

frank

wing
on a wing and a prayer

Post by wing » Mon Nov 03, 2003 12:30 am

i know it sounds stupid simple and basic and probably cheesy, but i use a little roland 505! it does just what i need it to do-- program and write and trigger midi samples and make beats. works perfectly. battery powered too, so great for on the road sampling.

if actually interested, you can probably find it for like $30 on ebay! hey, it works, and it works well.

andrew embassy
george martin

Post by andrew embassy » Mon Nov 03, 2003 12:33 am

I use Acid for almost all my drum programming recording. I really like it for drum programming; super intuitive and very flexible, and it's nice to not have to switch between programs to record stuff.
HEY! Who forgot they bag?

Slider
george martin

Post by Slider » Mon Nov 03, 2003 7:31 am

i use cubase sx and the linplug RM3 vsti, a great sampler drum machine.
this allows me to use my own samples of my own drums.
if i'm doing something quick and dirty i use my little alesis drum machine.
sometimes i'll trigger other samples. but mostly i use it for a click track.

jsegovia
gettin' sounds

Post by jsegovia » Mon Nov 03, 2003 10:36 am

Al wrote:I use an Atari st 1040 with Cubase v3.0 stable, reliable, quick and easy to work with. Avoid these little sequencers with the small window displays, there absolute murder to program!!
How do you sync this with anything? I still use Dr. T's KCS on the ST1040 and I have an hardware attachment (it plugs into the ST1040 parallel port) that allows you to sync it using SYMPTE. Unfortunately it only syncs over SYMPTE audio; it only has RCA audio connections, which I don't think I can connect to my Yamaha AW4416 or any other MTC or MIDI-based sync system

mrhawkinson
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by mrhawkinson » Tue Nov 04, 2003 4:02 am

inhumentor wrote:What is DP3 missing in the drum editor?
Sorry, I missed this question for a couple of days. DP3's drum editor is missing the ability to easily draw in triplets with the pencil. I think you can quantize to triplets when recording in real time, but I like to enter patterns in the editor. I am on the fence whether this one flaw is bad enough to make me switch to a different DAW.

-p