Budget All-Purpose Microphone

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
bobbydj
on a wing and a prayer

Re: Budget All-Purpose Microphone

Post by bobbydj » Sat Jan 01, 2005 4:49 am

The worst thing about it is that I read this thread again and began to think it had been mistake to not ask for a 421 off the mrs. (thanks to Eric's and SDG's ringing endorsements). I deliberated long and hard and eventually concluded that I was ok for another year with the PZM (I don't talk about the NT1 any more - it's dead to me). Now I'm not so sure again. Damn you dumbass bumpers. :x :P
Bobby D. Jones
Producer/Engineer
(Wives with Knives, Tyrone P. Spink, Potemkin Villagers et al)

Rigsby
mixes from purgatory

Post by Rigsby » Sat Jan 01, 2005 5:01 am

Just get your wallet out.
The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away.

rigsbysmith.com

bobbydj
on a wing and a prayer

Post by bobbydj » Sat Jan 01, 2005 5:19 am

I might - Pete bought one earlier in the year and hasn't used it that much, and asked me if I'd be into buying it. But then I have all that stuff about hmmm it IS a dynamic - maybe I should just get a C1 or whatever other rated condensors were mentioned on this thread. Because a dynamic then places a bit of emphasis on the quality of pres you've got. More so than a LDC, i.e.
Bobby D. Jones
Producer/Engineer
(Wives with Knives, Tyrone P. Spink, Potemkin Villagers et al)

SKEETER
steve albini likes it

Post by SKEETER » Sat Jan 01, 2005 10:33 am

I have an CAD Equitek E100 that I use for everything. It is a great kick drum mic, it is EASY to mic guitar cabs with it, because it is so flat that you pretty much can know what it will sound like in the mix by standing in the room and putting your head where the mic is. I have recorded 2 CDs using it as a vocal mic, and it is very sensitive, you can hear a gnat fart in the thing. It is so quiet that if not for pickup up distant sounds you would not know it is on. Unfortunately, new they are around 300 bucks I think, but, you could probably find a ebay one.
Another thing that makes the CAD ideal for guitar cabs is that it has a pad on it, and will handle 140 decibles. Not all condensors are safe to use on guitar cabs, some cannot take the SPL.