Budget All-Purpose Microphone

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
michaelkatell
audio school

Re: Budget All-Purpose Microphone

Post by michaelkatell » Mon Jun 16, 2003 11:30 am

I also like the AT 4033 quite a lot and got it cheap. There are lots of good cheap tube mics these days - The new MXL V69 got a great review in Issue 34 and goes for about $300 - I've been thinking about getting one. And the AKG C3000 is also higly regarded among my cheapakte studio owner friends - about the same price and reported to be very versatile - kind of ugly to look at though.

wardshorsehead
buyin' gear

Post by wardshorsehead » Mon Jun 16, 2003 8:38 pm

I second...or third...or...

A 421 is a GREAT mic, and you will want more of them (I know I do).

AS for the suggestion of an AT3035 over a 4033...I'd say go for it. I was borrowing a 4033 for awhile, and liked it quite a bit, but my current budget only allowed for a mic purchase under $200.

I picked up a 3035 and have been very pleased. It is a bit different than the 4033, but I like it just as well, just differently.

Check out hytechgear.com. They have it for $149 plus shipping. A steal, and a way nicer sounding mic than anything I've heard in that range (Oktava, Rode, Studio Projects).

Frank

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Tue Jun 17, 2003 6:34 am

Build the Tape Op DIY omni condensor. It'll cost about $10 in parts and sounds great on acoustic guitars. Take the other $190 and buy a few good used dynamics - a 421, or an EV 635a, or an EV PL-10 (baby brother to the re-20, sounds great on all kinds of things). EV mics are undisovered gems, they're way too good for the little bit of money the sell for used.

Catoogie
buyin' a studio

Post by Catoogie » Tue Jun 17, 2003 7:46 am

Can someone tell me a bit more about the AT 3035? A description of the differences between the 4033 and the 3035 may be helpful.

Thanks

goldstar
takin' a dinner break

Post by goldstar » Tue Jun 17, 2003 8:09 am

Does anyone have any thoughts on alternatives to 57's at the lower (<$100) dynamic end? I've wondered about how Sennheiser E835's and the Audix OM2 (?) and any other cardioids compare in smoothness (lack of freq. response peaks) and handling noise to the mighty 57. I want to be able to use one as a handheld field rec. mic, too.

Frank

jajjguy
re-cappin' neve

Post by jajjguy » Tue Jun 17, 2003 10:58 am

"Does anyone have any thoughts on alternatives to 57's at the lower (<$100) dynamic end?"

I have an EV ND357. It's lower and smoother sounding than a 57, with much less of a presence bite. I use it as close mic for guitar amps, with an LD condensor a few feet away. It provides the strong beefy oomph, and the LD provides the bite and air. I've also used it for vocals, and it sounds pretty nice, but again it's not a bite mic, more of a round sound. For close-up duties only. Not an all-purpose mic. Very low handling noise.

Echos Myron
takin' a dinner break

Post by Echos Myron » Tue Jun 17, 2003 6:45 pm

I'm happy with my Studio Projects B3 as an all-around use microphone. I'm just a twenty-something recording in his bedroom, and it works for my situation. It sounds pretty great for $160. I'm sure that some $400+ mics would sound better, but I don't have $400 to spend...I also need to buy a couch.

blucey
audio school graduate

Post by blucey » Tue Jun 17, 2003 10:10 pm

the Sennheiser e609 Silver is a really great mic for less than a 421, and it's got more top yet still the growl ... for $99

you could then get a B1 for $80 and have 2 options for under $200.

drew w
takin' a dinner break

Post by drew w » Wed Jun 18, 2003 6:46 am

i don't have this mic and i know how some folks hate the idea of all things Behringer...that said, for a starter versatile condensor mic, the B-2 (about $150) is supposed to be a good value. As for me, I like the idea of building my own as stated above by junkshop...thanks for the tip...
Build the Tape Op DIY omni condensor. It'll cost about $10 in parts and sounds great on acoustic guitars.
hey JUNKSHOP...can you remind us what issue that was in? or provide related links? thanks! :biggergrin:

EasyGo
buyin' a studio

Post by EasyGo » Wed Jun 18, 2003 9:40 am

EV 635a or PL5 (same thing, green paint). Really the same sort of 'sleeper' mic as the SM57. Very nice on guitar amps, but the 'openness' makes it cool acoustic guitar and vocals. Others have mentioned drums and piano.

Does a better job on vocals than my Rode NT1000 (i know, i know). It just has a smoother, better quality top end than the Chinese capsule. The lows are rolled off, so it seems to work on vocals.

the original 'Buchanan Hammer'

tubejay
pushin' record

Post by tubejay » Wed Jun 18, 2003 10:30 am

I'll put myself in the Studio Projects/4033 camp. I've got two B1 mics and love them. They are fantastic, mics for the dough. You can pick them up for $79.99 shipped from BPM audio. Great deal. They have 3 micron glued capsules that will suit you much better than a lot of the cheap low end LDC mics. The quality on a lot of the capsules for these low end mics is very low, and will sound good at first, but because many are not glued, they will deteriorate fairly quickly and start to sound funny. 4033's are also great mics, but I'd rather have a stereo pair of B1 mics and go the distance. These things sound great as room mics and even as drum overheads. Though, you have to be careful with super loud sounds because it is a 3 micron capsule. That means more transparent high end though!

I've also heard nothing but great things about the C1 microphone, that's my next purchase for sure.

Good luck, and does anyone have a link to the thread for the tapeop mic??? I'd love to build one!

Unbound
ass engineer

Post by Unbound » Fri Dec 31, 2004 11:24 pm

Ok, I have to throw on a Rode NT2 bcause I've glanced over this list and I haven't seen it listed, maybe it's too expensive, but check eBay. I personally have 3 Shure 32s, 2 421s, and an NT2. And although I probably turn to my 421s the most, I really think the advantage in the NT2 comes down to male voice, and plucked strings. I pair an NT2 up with a 421 quite often. Just had to throw my 2 cents in,
Aaron

thunderboy
buyin' a studio

Post by thunderboy » Sat Jan 01, 2005 1:03 am

Your 2 cents are a year and a half late.

jt
"most toreadors worth a damn are circumcized."
- Discs of Tron

heylow
george martin

Post by heylow » Sat Jan 01, 2005 1:31 am

thunderboy wrote:Your 2 cents are a year and a half late.

jt

Yeah....what's with bumping all the old shit? :shock:

heylow