What Reference Books Do You Use?

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
Rodgre
carpal tunnel

Re: What Reference Books Do You Use?

Post by Rodgre » Sun Nov 02, 2003 7:47 pm

how about a set of "Oblique Strategies" cards?

I refer to manuals occasionally (Protools for brush ups and HD24, which is brand new to me)

I like the Mixing Engineer's Handbook. I peruse the Tape Op book just as I peruse all of my Tape Op back issues.

I don't really refer to a lot of books as I work, but I love reading books on recording.

Beatle Recording Sessions.
Good Vibrations.
Behind the Glass.

Lots of magazines, including Mix, EQ, Tape Op, Recording, etc.

Roger

lobstman
buyin' gear

Post by lobstman » Sun Nov 02, 2003 7:56 pm

One book that was never far from my side while I was starting out was Peter MacIan's "Musician's Guide To Home Recording". I think three indispensible books for the studio owner (big or small) are:

The Yamaha Guide To Sound Reinforcement- Ralph Davis & Gary Jones
The Art Of Electronics- Horowitz & Hill
Hammer Of The Gods- Stephen Davis

rhythm ranch
mixes from purgatory

Post by rhythm ranch » Sun Nov 02, 2003 7:57 pm

NewYorkDave wrote:Whoops... sorry! I'm glad I have two copies already (one for home, one for work). One thing I have to mention is that the book is pretty technical and circuitry-oriented, and the typical recordist wouldn't have much use for it. But for wireheads like myself, it's one of the classic, definitive works in the field, even though much of the material is outdated (the second edition dates from 1969).
I've been trying to get a copy for about 6 months. I guess if I wasn't such a cheap bastard I would have one already, but I'm trying to get one for less than $90.00! :shock:
deharmonic wrote:...but thanks for nothing anyway.
I would never do that to you. :) I'm a big believer in this board and the TapeOp community. I always try to share whatever info I have.
deharmonic wrote:...forgive my hastiness...
Done! :D

NewYorkDave
re-cappin' neve

Post by NewYorkDave » Mon Nov 03, 2003 6:38 am

rhythm ranch wrote:I've been trying to get a copy for about 6 months. I guess if I wasn't such a cheap bastard I would have one already, but I'm trying to get one for less than $90.00! :shock:
Don't give up. I paid $80 for my first copy, then found another copy shortly thereafter for $40! If you're patient, you can probably pick one up at a reasonable price. I think a lot of guys buy it because they've heard it's "the book" to have, then they realize it's way above their heads and they sell it. So there's a number of copies circulating around the marketplace even though the asking prices from used book dealers would have you believe otherwise.

aurelialuz
dead but not forgotten

Post by aurelialuz » Mon Nov 03, 2003 7:41 am

our studio reference:

- the issue of tape op that details tape alignment.
- bob katz's art of mastering
- rca receiving tube manual, rc 30
- dominic priore's "Look Listen Vibrate Smile"
- dave naz's 'panties'

and oh yes, i TOO have the complete transcription of randy rhodes/ozzy osbourne's 'tribute', have had it since i was in seventh grade.

alex
"While every effort has been made to ensure optimum sound quality, priority has been given to historic content and importance."

Mark
tinnitus

Post by Mark » Mon Nov 03, 2003 8:42 am

The Musician's Guide To Home Recording. Peter McIan and Larry Wichman
Using Your Portable Studio. Peter McIan
Tape Op: The Movie. Various
Home Recording Made Easy. Paul White
Creative Recording Vol 1: Effects and Processors. Paul White
Creative Recording Vol 2: Microphones, Acoustics, Soundproofing and Monitoring. Paul White
The Art of War. Sun Tzu

NewYorkDave
re-cappin' neve

Post by NewYorkDave » Mon Nov 03, 2003 8:56 am

I actually saw Rhoads with Oz in 1981. The only thing I really remember about him, quite frankly, is that he must have been using a treble booster or some other gadget for solos. When he took a solo, it was unbearably loud and bright, like having fifty cops shine Mag-lites in your face at the same time. I had to plug my ears when he took a lead. The warm-up act was Motorhead. Now THAT was a revelation!

tiger vomitt
dead but not forgotten

Post by tiger vomitt » Mon Nov 03, 2003 10:33 am

NewYorkDave wrote:I actually saw Rhoads with Oz in 1981.
:worthy: :worthy: :worthy:
The only thing I really remember about him, quite frankly, is that he must have been using a treble booster or some other gadget for solos. When he took a solo, it was unbearably loud and bright, like having fifty cops shine Mag-lites in your face at the same time. I had to plug my ears when he took a lead.
doesnt sound that way on vinyl!! very interesting tho!

seeing what you saw Dave has been one of my life's great wishes. i wish i coulda been there.

aurelialuz
dead but not forgotten

Post by aurelialuz » Mon Nov 03, 2003 10:40 am

tiger vomitt wrote:
NewYorkDave wrote:I actually saw Rhoads with Oz in 1981.
:worthy: :worthy: :worthy:
The only thing I really remember about him, quite frankly, is that he must have been using a treble booster or some other gadget for solos. When he took a solo, it was unbearably loud and bright, like having fifty cops shine Mag-lites in your face at the same time. I had to plug my ears when he took a lead.
doesnt sound that way on vinyl!! very interesting tho!

seeing what you saw Dave has been one of my life's great wishes. i wish i coulda been there.
ditto'ed. randy was the reason i started playing (and thusly recording) music. i knew you were cool dave.

alex
"While every effort has been made to ensure optimum sound quality, priority has been given to historic content and importance."

Mark
tinnitus

Post by Mark » Mon Nov 03, 2003 11:14 am

I'd also like to add Oolon Colluphid's "Origin Of the Universe" and his philosophical trilogy: "Where God Went Wrong", "Some More Of God's Greatest Mistakes" and "Who Is This God Person Anyway?", as well as the later "Well That Just About Wraps It Up For God".

I also have "Everest In Easy Stages" but unfortunately it's in Tibetan.

hollywood_steve
alignin' 24-trk

Post by hollywood_steve » Tue Nov 04, 2003 12:46 pm

I'm the wrong person to ask as I've got at least 40 or 50 studio related books, but I've got a couple of key suggestions:

1. the New Stereo Soundbook by Streicher & Everest. A great place to learn about mic placement and how to set up a realistic stereo image.

2. Audio Systems Design & Installation, (author?) Almost everything you need to know to wire up your power, signal and grounding systems - and that's a helluva lot of info.

As a general comment, keep your eyes open for ANY old 50's/60's era books by the BBC. They were such a huge organization that they published hard cover training manuals for their staff on a variety of topics. I've found a couple of them so far and they are worth any price for the photos alone. But the info is just as good and still very useful.

steve
Lexington 125 - High Resolution Location Recording

lex125@pacbell.net
www.lexington125.com

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Tue Nov 04, 2003 1:19 pm

Im surprised no one has mentioned "On Sensation and Tone" by Herman Helmholtz..Its the standard text for modern acoustic physics..I guess it's a little tough to understand for the average person with no physics background..also I like a book called the Tao of Physics not really a technical manual but an interesting comparison of modern physics and eastern mysticism..

joeysimms
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by joeysimms » Tue Nov 04, 2003 1:21 pm

None. I have enough to keep me busy just trying to get something recorded (mostly) by myself. Easily 10-12 hrs pass and I haven't even eaten, let alone looked at a book..

aurelialuz
dead but not forgotten

Post by aurelialuz » Thu Nov 13, 2003 11:21 am

forgot a good one i got from scott dorsey: Drum Tuning by Larry Nolly. just used it last night.

alex