Isolation Headphones

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
patheticus
gettin' sounds

Isolation Headphones

Post by patheticus » Tue Nov 04, 2003 12:25 pm

Anyone know of some quality sounding isolation headphones? I have a pair of vic firths right now that sound like ass, they still help when it comes to dialing in mic placement occasionaly, but I feel like they just aren't up to par. Suggestions?

buzzaudioguy
gettin' sounds

Re: Isolation Headphones

Post by buzzaudioguy » Tue Nov 04, 2003 1:29 pm

Man, I've got three sets of those Vic Firth headphones, and for what they're for I think they rock. I've never had an easier time dialing in headphone mixes for bands, ESPECIALLY when everyone's in the same room with the drummer. I used to use Sony MDR 7506's and AKG K240's all the time, but I could never get the drummer comfortable without making his ears bleed. But I do agree that the overall sound of the Vic Firth's are pretty lame, but for basic tracking they're fine. When I go to do overdubs I always switch back to the Sony's and AKG's because they do sound ALOT better. I don't know if anyone makes a GOOD set of iso phones? It'd be good to know!

aurelialuz
dead but not forgotten

Post by aurelialuz » Tue Nov 04, 2003 1:35 pm

etymotic.com, er4's. it seems like i'm plugging these things monthly on this board, but here it is again. they're fantastic sounding, reference quality ear buds that are also ear plugs and block up to 25db, plus, you can always slap air traffic controller 'phones over them for even more sound blockage. they're kinda spendy ($300) but they work really well for this kinda thing.

alex
"While every effort has been made to ensure optimum sound quality, priority has been given to historic content and importance."

insta-fame
audio school graduate

Post by insta-fame » Tue Nov 04, 2003 2:47 pm

i use ultraphones from gk music. there was a review in a tape-op a while ago. bands really like them. have had very little probs with headphone mixes since i got them. kinda pricy, but for me well worth it.

EasyGo
buyin' a studio

Post by EasyGo » Tue Nov 04, 2003 2:48 pm

If you have any DJ friends, borrow a pair of Sony MDRV-700s ($100-130), and see if they work for you. They have plenty of bottom and a soft, non-fatiguing top end, so they're not terribly accurate, but they're nice for getting sounds right in the room. Sound good isolate good.

cello
audio school

Post by cello » Tue Nov 04, 2003 2:51 pm

hey Alex,

Have you tried the ER-6s?

Apparently, with the $7 earmold adapter they will plug into a pair of custom fitted Musicians Earplugs. Since I have a pair of these earplugs, I'm tempted to give these a shot. The ER-6 Isolator Earphones cost $139. So, the total would be $146 for a pair of custom fitted Isolator Earphones! Of course, maybe they sound bad compared to the ER-4.

Have you heard how these compare to the ER-4 series?

meblumen
steve albini likes it

Post by meblumen » Tue Nov 04, 2003 3:06 pm

I haven't tried them yet but I've been hearing some good things about the MoreMe Headphones. Heres the link http://www.itrstudio.com/moreme.html I've been thinking about picking up a set, the way I figure it for $20 bucks I can't really go wrong, better than droping $100 on something I might hate :)

aurelialuz
dead but not forgotten

Post by aurelialuz » Tue Nov 04, 2003 3:57 pm

i have not tried the er-6s, but you do have me curious. i can't imagine they sound bad.

alex
"While every effort has been made to ensure optimum sound quality, priority has been given to historic content and importance."