musical dreams

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
wing
on a wing and a prayer

musical dreams

Post by wing » Tue Nov 11, 2003 7:06 am

last night, i had this dream that i came home and there was this cymbal rack setup with hundreds of really nice and beautiful sounding cymbals. they were just there for me, no explanation. i as a drummer was so excited to try them all out, and i remember they sounded great!

then i woke up, and they were no longer there. it was all a dream!! ahhh! i was so heartbroken this morning :cry: i hate dreams that tease you!

but anyway, what are some musical related dreams (of any nature or topic) you've had? i know i've had many many more than this, but most i can't remember. :oops:

tiger vomitt
dead but not forgotten

Re: musical dreams

Post by tiger vomitt » Tue Nov 11, 2003 7:22 am

i made up entire albums worth of music in dreams, woke up and wasnt able to get any of it into anything permanent. in other dreams i wrote lyrics and woke up to write them down. i also write a lot of melodies but those are a total btch to try and put down when i first wake up, they very rarely work out.

i also had a dream where i wrote a book but how do you write down a whole book, in the dark, 5 seconds after you wake up in the middle of the night??

reading this back it sounds like im bragging, but im not. it doesnt mean anything to dream something. it matters what happens to it in waking life, which in my case rarely amounts to much.

my brain works like that. i have a tendency to hear or see something complete all at once. then i have to scramble to make it all happen before the image fades out. sometimes i can keep it going for a few weeks or even months. sometimes my conscious brain clouds the image of what i heard in the dream or daydream. when that happens it's a bust.

i think it's cool but sometimes it can backfire.

sorry im rambling - i just woke up haha

llmonty
re-cappin' neve

Post by llmonty » Tue Nov 11, 2003 7:27 am

Man, I write the best songs in my sleep. And in my dreams everyone loves them, and they are beautiful and clever and my abilities are unmatched.

Then I wake up, and either don't remember the riffs/words, or I do and they are terrible. :cry:

Other dreams are often I am on stage performing with some of my favorite artists. That is always so cool, and when I wake up I walk around like a badass for a few hours until it wears off.

Architect
audio school graduate

Post by Architect » Tue Nov 11, 2003 8:57 am

I had a dream the other night, I was on stage rapping and the crowd was loving it, it wasn't your normal thing, me and a bunch of other people where all huddled up in a circle jumping up and down as we rapped, which put a interesting twist to the interaction with the audience. I heard the music very clearly it was tight as hell, I wish I could have recorded it. Sometimes even when I'm not dreaming, just thinking about music and I can hear a whole track as far as the music, the human mind is very precious and our most valuable thing!

nlmd311
tinnitus

Post by nlmd311 » Tue Nov 11, 2003 9:06 am

I can totally relate to everything tiger vomitt said. I also see things in completed form, but in a flash its gone... typically before i can do anything about it. Rarely do I ever get the chance to piece things together.
Chemical Imbalance?
Related to the topic and mentioned in a post above, If you havent see the movie Waking Life, i strongly recommend it. Amazing film. Especially if your interested by dreams and their relation to your waking life.

-Darrill
slowly panning across something kind of crappy...

Al
moves faders with mind

Post by Al » Tue Nov 11, 2003 9:10 am

Had a dream that myself and my band met Bob Dylan in a hotel.
For some reason i told him that i thought "The Band" had a lot more to offer than him as by way off songs and talent.
He saw red and started to chase me round the hotel corridors spitting on me and making the same whiney noises he makes when he's singing and shouting abuse...i think he was well pissed off!!...it was all most unpleasant stuff!

nickB
audio school graduate

Post by nickB » Tue Nov 11, 2003 9:30 am

I've had this dream a couple of times: I'm looking through old tapes in my home studio, and I find an old tape with a complete album worth of brilliant demos. I can see the tape, and I recognize it. All I have to do is find it, learn the songs and cut the album. I wake up and realize there's no way I've written that much material.
let's polish this turd

the velour fog
buyin' a studio

Post by the velour fog » Tue Nov 11, 2003 10:23 am

waking life is awesome.

sometimes i can have the lucid dream, where you realize it's a dream and you can control it. the most recent was i was sitting in my room playing guitar...and it was a good song...but i realized that the song wasn't matching what my hands were doing. i stopped playing, and the song continued. "oh...i'm dreaming." so i put the guitar down, and flew over the grand canyon or something like that.
"Set Phasers to Extra Slow."

TooLoFi
gettin' sounds

Post by TooLoFi » Tue Nov 11, 2003 11:09 am

I had a dream that I was a signal being run through a vintech eq, and then through an LA-4. It was sweet, I was tweaking myself.

Greg
going one way down a wrong way street

markpar
george martin

Post by markpar » Tue Nov 11, 2003 11:42 am

I had a dream Sunday night where Eminem was hanging out at my house asking me for advice on his next album. Wild.

-mark

jerrymac
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by jerrymac » Tue Nov 11, 2003 11:45 am

llmonty wrote:Other dreams are often I am on stage performing with some of my favorite artists.
I have similar dreams sometimes, but when I'm playing with these bands, in the middle of the song, i realize that I don't know the chords. Or sometimes I dream that I'm playing the guitar left handed, and in the middle of the song, I think, "Wait a minute, I don't play lefty." Then, all of a sudden, I can't play anymore.

jerry

signorMars
re-cappin' neve

Post by signorMars » Tue Nov 11, 2003 11:59 am

i've had a few dreams where my friends or some band i like are playing write some badass song and i wake up wondering whether copyrights extend into dream music.
---
ross ingram
[brainville]

wing
on a wing and a prayer

Post by wing » Tue Nov 11, 2003 2:30 pm

TooLoFi wrote:I had a dream that I was a signal being run through a vintech eq, and then through an LA-4. It was sweet, I was tweaking myself.

Greg
hahahahahaha! that is the best dream i've ever heard in my life. you rock! :lol:

psychicoctopus
buyin' a studio

Post by psychicoctopus » Tue Nov 11, 2003 9:10 pm

I had a dream once where I was walking down the sidewalk, found a raw steak laying in the grass, ate it, kept walking, then puked in a bucket on a cliff overlooking the ocean, and then walked back down the street to a Paul Simon concert and he asked me to play guitar for him.

andrew embassy
george martin

Post by andrew embassy » Tue Nov 11, 2003 9:36 pm

Count me in for another of the 'dream-an-awesome-song-wake-up-with-jack' crew.

The architecture and geography of my dreams is pretty interesting; over the past year or two it's started becoming more and more distinct, and parts of the dreams are starting to blend into each other, so an environment in one dream will be discovered to be adjacent to another dream. It kind of weirds me out, but I really like how clear and distinct they are.
HEY! Who forgot they bag?