which system is best?????

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
dr.ona
takin' a dinner break

which system is best?????

Post by dr.ona » Tue Nov 11, 2003 7:07 am

hey there....
i currently use cool edit pro and im finding out that it's a great program but limited in ways...so....im thinking of going to a new program...logic,sonar,cubase...maybe protools. i'm just doing simple recordings and editing with limited knowledge so i really dont need something with lots and lots of stuff a person in my situation wouldn't use. thanks for all the help!!

robert

CDB Studios
takin' a dinner break

Re: which system is best?????

Post by CDB Studios » Tue Nov 11, 2003 7:46 am

Try, try and try again.

There is no best, just what is best for you. For me, PT is best because I know how to use it and all that jazz. MOTU will be best for someone else, Cubase. . . same thing. It is all up to the user.

If the programs have a free trial, trial away.

It's like anything we purchase, it's all up to the person buying it.

They all basically do the same thing, in a different way.

I know that wasn't what you were looking for in an answer, but there really isn't a definate answer.

my Oh 2

-Zach

bitdump
ass engineer

Post by bitdump » Tue Nov 11, 2003 8:33 am

For features per price Samplitude is a great system these days for Windows users. You can check out the demo.

Just offering up another option

angryaudio
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by angryaudio » Tue Nov 11, 2003 9:13 am

It's also important pick your program and platform carefully. If you're a Windows person, stick with programs that are going to support that platform for the long run. There are still quite a few pissed off Windows Logic users that had to pick a new program or buy a Mac. But overall, the comments made above are spot-on; all of the programs essentially do the same things. What matters most is finding one that you enjoy working on.

AA
You don't know me.

djimbe
tinnitus

Post by djimbe » Tue Nov 11, 2003 10:11 am

How is Cool Edit Pro limiting you? Don't mean that to sound snotty, either. I've gotten lotsa good out of CEP over the years, but the mixer interface has never thrilled me. Frankly, it sux, even on ver.2.0 which was supposed to have a good mixer. What I like about it is that it was super easy for me to use without a huge learing curve. I'm just an audio guy, not a MIDI-ot, so maybe there's some problems there for you, I don't know. I use this piece of shareware called n-Track Studio for a mixer interface that's cheap and works great with CEP (it's not a good MIDI app either, which is fine for me). I can get at least 24 tracks running on a 500MHz P3 (Win98 and no AISO) with no problems; the performance certainly hasn't slowed me down. Like has been said, it's basically a comfort thing. Hell, I'm so much more comfortable doing serious single wave editing on CEP than on The 'Tools that I bring .aif's home from the big studio to mangle them. The work gets done quicker, and I'm more sure of the results.
This board is full of people who use different apps for different reasons, but...which is best? Think of it this way: I own about 20 different woodworking hand planes. They all remove thin shavings of wood. The one "best" one is the one that's about the right size for the job at hand, how much work it'll take to get it into useable shape that day (sharpening and whatnot), what type of wood I'm shaving, etc. The one "best" plane always changes...
I thought this club was for musicians. Who let the drummer in here??

chriss
audio school graduate

Post by chriss » Tue Nov 11, 2003 10:36 am

Check out tracktion, its simply amazing. I droped logic platinum in favor of tracktion. http://www.rawmaterialsoftware.com

Auxillary
buyin' gear

Post by Auxillary » Tue Nov 11, 2003 10:46 am

Check out tracktion!
kids make electric guitars

www.geocities.com/ubertar/kids

brew
pushin' record

Post by brew » Tue Nov 11, 2003 12:24 pm

Sonic Foundry Vegas is an inexpensive program similar to CoolEdit, but slightly more advance. However, I'd say it is one of the most intuitive programs out there (like all Sonic Foundry) and would represent the least amount of learning curve, while offering more audio functions and DVD authoring. As a long-time Sonic Foundry user, CoolEdit seems cumbersome and sub par to me, from the few times I have used it.

http://mediasoftware.sonypictures.com/p ... efault.asp

axial
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by axial » Tue Nov 11, 2003 12:30 pm

I second vegas
don't worry we don't need to track, we'll fix it later!

Auxillary
buyin' gear

Post by Auxillary » Tue Nov 11, 2003 12:34 pm

Sonic Foundry does not exist.

It is Sony Vegas now.
kids make electric guitars

www.geocities.com/ubertar/kids